Quantcast

Sony developing new TV platform

Discussion in 'More News from Your Google TV News Team' started by Rickaren, Nov 11, 2011.

1. Rickaren

Rickaren New Member Staff Member

Sony developing new TV platform

November 11, 2011

Step aside, Google TV. Sony is working on creating its own proprietary 'smart TV' platform.
    At a recent Sony event, the Wall Street Journal quoted CEO Howard Stringer as saying, "We can't continue selling TV sets [the way we have
    been]. "Every [FONT=inherit ! important][FONT=inherit ! important]TV [/FONT][FONT=inherit ! important]set[/FONT][/FONT] we all make loses money."[​IMG]

While so many other consumer electronic product categories have changed wildly over the last few years, when it comes to TV there haven't been that many advancements.

Of course, there are Internet connectivity options more thoroughly now than before, but when it comes to offering literally an entire operating
    [FONT=inherit ! important][FONT=inherit ! important]system[/FONT][/FONT] built into the TV itself, lots of consumers should be interested.

Continue reading the entire article here @ SOURCE

• Like Like x 2
  2. Rickaren

Rickaren New Member Staff Member

SOURCE

3. HDCowboy

HDCowboy New Member

From what I can gather the article is referring to the Bravia models as Sony's smart TV's...........

Sony Announces New Smart TVs, 3D TVs for 2011 | PCWorld

Sony's Smart TVs

Between their mid-range and high-end models, Sony is bringing 22 "Smart TVs" to market in total. Each of these HDTVs comes equipped with Sony's Bravia Internet Video service, which includes support for standard Internet streaming sites like Netflix, HuluPlus, and Amazon Video On Demand as well Sony-only services like Sony's Video on Demand and Music Unlimited (powered by Qriocity).
    Other Internet-connected features include Skype support for video chat in 720p (although you'll need to purchase a separate camera and mic for that), and Track ID, which lets your TV check the Gracenote database to find the song name, artist, and album information for whatever song is playing on the TV at the moment. Buy a Sony TV, and you'll never wonder what that song was playing during the ad break was ever again.
    Interestingly enough, there has been no word on further Google TV-powered Sony TVs.

4. sparkyscott21

sparkyscott21 Moderator Staff Member

[​IMG]

Apple isn’t the only company reportedly plotting to revolutionize the television set. Sony is also on the case, according to company CEO Howard Stringer.
    Stringer said all major television manufacturers, including Sony, are “scrambling” to figure out what the next generation of televisions should do. “There’s a tremendous amount of R&D going into a different kind of TV set,” Stringer said at an event hosted by The Wall Street Journal. Stringer also noted that he has “no doubt” that Steve Jobs, Apple’s recently deceased co-founder and former CEO, was also hard at work on the problem.
    To compete with Apple, Sony is touting its so-called “four screens strategy” that aims to emulate Apple’s seamless content sharing and networking capability between devices such as MacBooks, iPads, iPhones and iPods.

This concept, which the company began promoting earlier this year, aims to integrate the company’s high-definition television sets with tablets, smartphones, and PCs. “I spent the last five years building a platform so I can compete against Steve Jobs,” Mr. Stringer said during the Journal’s event. “It’s finished, and it’s launching now.”

Is Sony a serious challenger?Regardless of Stringer’s confidence, you have to ask: Would Sony be a serious challenger for Apple? Apple outsells Sony in the PC market in the United States, according to market research firm IDC. And, of course, Apple’s iPod dominates the MP3 player market. Assuming Apple actually does produce a TV, it’s possible that Sony would likely outsell Apple’s given foothold in the television market; then again, creating an innovative product and holding onto its market has not been Sony’s strong suit.

[​IMG]

Sony has excelled at screwing up its market strategy: The company famously lost the Betamax vs. VHS fight in the 1980s despite Betamax being widely acknowledged as a superior technology to VHS. The Walkman dominated the portable music market beginning in the 1980s, only to be upended by Apple’s iPod in the early 2000s.
    Sony in 2005 released PlayStation Portable, a fantastic device that offered gamers an excellent portable gaming experience, expandable storage to house videos and music, a semi-usable Web browsing experience and constant firmware improvements. Despite the advantages of the PSP, however, Sony’s portable device was soon outshone by Apple devices such as the fifth-generation iPod, which could play video. And in 2007, the gaming-centric iPod touch pushed the PSP into near-irrelevance.
    As of April, Sony said it had sold 70 million PSP devices worldwide since the PSP’s 2004 introduction in Japan. In contrast, in about half that time—four years—Apple sold more than 60 million iPod touch devices, according to a recent court filing obtained by Ars Technica. Apple’s iOS and Google’s Android devices are also contributing to declining portable gaming sales revenues for Sony and Nintendo, according to an analysis by Flurry Analytics.
    Sony is now hoping the PSP can claw back into relevance with a new model called the PSVita, and asoftware development kit to encourage third-party developers to build applications for devices such as the Vita and Sony’s Android-based tablets.

Apple’s rumored TV set[​IMG]

The odds of Sony producing a revolutionary next-generation television set and succeeding with it are not good. Apple, on the other hand, has had better luck and strategy with its iOS devices, but it’s still unknown whether it will enter into the television manufacturing game.
    Rumormongering over Apple’s television intentions exploded in October after the publication of Steve Jobs’s authorized biography by Walter Isaacson. Jobs told Isaacson he was working on an easy-to-use TV set that seamlessly syncs “with all your devices and with iCloud.”
    Isaacson quotes Jobs: “It will have the simplest user interface you could imagine.. I finally cracked it.”The New York Times recently reported that Apple is working on a television with a voice command interface, similar to Siri, Apple’s digital personal assistant for the iPhone 4S.
    All that being said, can Apple or Sony deliver your next-generation television? We’ll just have to stay tuned.

11-11-11
    Source

5. Maconsultant

Maconsultant Member

All that said.. I can say that I am enjoying my sony google tv.. The thing most people don't get is you have to have the infrastructure to support it to get the best out of it..

• Like Like x 2
  6. sparkyscott21

sparkyscott21 Moderator Staff Member

Last week, we noted that Sony was working hard on efforts to change the way users interact with and view content on their television sets, with CEO Howard Stringer openly acknowledging that the company was trying to find a way to compete with Apple's integrated ecosystem that is expected to expand to include television sets in the relatively near future.

[​IMG]

The Wall Street Journal now reports that Sony is working on the next phase of its efforts, seeking to launch a Web-based alternative to traditional TV that would skirt around cable companies' control of the market.Sony is proposing to beam the channels over Internet connections to Sony-made devices, including PlayStation gaming consoles, TV sets and Blu-ray players, the people said. Sony has sold about 18.1 million PlayStation 3 consoles in the U.S. alone, according to NPD Group Inc., and many homes have other Internet-connected Sony devices.
    Sony has reportedly reached out to a number of content providers, including Comcast NBCUniversal, Discovery, and News Corp., in attempt to strike deals to offer their shows on the service.One stumbling block could be Sony's desire to license a smaller bundle of channels than existing cable operators offer to undercut the incumbents on price and flexibility, according to people familiar with the matter. That could be a nonstarter for media companies, which would prefer not to undercut their biggest customers.
    The report notes that Apple made a similar effort several years ago, seeking to put together a "best of TV" package for delivery to viewers via iTunes, but those negotiations failed to produce a deal after content providers refused to budge on their demands for bundling channels together.

Apple clearly remains interested in the television market, with rumors of a Siri-enabled TV set launching in late 2012 or early 2013. It is not entirely clear what efforts Apple may continue to pursue on the content side of the TV market to complement the hardware and software, but just two months ago the company was said to have developed a "new technology to deliver video to televisions". As part of that work, the company was said to still have an interest in offering some sort of subscription TV packages.

11-16-11

Source

• Like Like x 2
  7. Scuzzo

Scuzzo Active Member

dang looks like sony GTV is going the way of the revue.. well both ideas seem to occupy the same niche.. seems like one will have to go.. i dont see how you could market both from the same company and differentiate.. conflict of interest..

8. MStrawder

MStrawder New Member

In reading the article, it seems Sony wants to make a true cord-cutting device. Albeit trading one cord for another essentially. The GTV I see as more of a compliment to an existing service for most people rather then a replacement. I could see them marketing both with one for those who just want to add internet content to their existing setup and one for those who want a completely internet based setup.

• Like Like x 2
  9. eferz

eferz Well-Known Member

Google did originally designed and intended Google TV to be a companion box. However, the availability of the Android Market does inadvertently empower third-party developers to make it into a cord-cutting device with their apps. This could be one of those ventures which enables consumers to cutting the "satellite" and "cable" cords but they will still be dependent on subscriptions for the internet and the content provider service.

• Like Like x 2
  10. gomezf75

gomezf75 New Member

so should i buy the google tv or should i wait? would this be a while before it gets released?

11. MStrawder

MStrawder New Member

Which more or less describes my situation. I purchased my Revue to be a companion device to compliment my existing setup. However, once I discovered the huge amount of internet content coupled with services like Hulu and Netflix, I realized that I spent more time streaming then watching my satellite service. Also read numerous posts by you and Chris about Tivo and an OTA antenna which will give me the remaining 5% of content my wife and I watch. GTV will ultimately be my cord-cutting device. I'll spend around $30 a month in subscriptions total and no longer have to hope a network is broadcasting something I want to watch. I'll be able to watch what I want, whenever I want.

• Like Like x 2
  12. CatfishRivers

CatfishRivers Well-Known Member

It's not required to repeat the same question on three different threads.......

This should be a good starting point for you (see link below):

https://developers.google.com/tv/

Google Contact information:

http://www.google.com/intl/en/contact/

Tip: Follow the developer guidelines for optimizing your web site for the leanback experience (if you want Google to approve your site for the Spotlight gallery).

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The first step would be to list your channel in the Google TV Website Gallery. Then if Google approves of it - they will eventually add it to the GTV Spotlight gallery. Here's a link to the GTV Website Gallery (these are sites submitted by webmasters that are designed for leanback TV viewing experience - but not yet listed on the official GTV Spotlight section):

http://gtv-gallery.appspot.com/

Last edited: Oct 6, 2012
    • Like Like x 2
  13. laoniu

laoniu New Member

I can say that I am enjoying my sony google tv