Quantcast

Sony Cuts Prices On Google TV-Integrated HDTVs

Discussion in 'Sony Internet TV' started by Rickaren, Aug 11, 2011.

1. Rickaren

Rickaren New Member Staff Member

Sony Cuts Prices On Google TV-Integrated HDTVs

08/11/2011

[​IMG]
    Google TV hasn’t exactly set the world on fire, and while we could argue all day about what exactly prevented it from achieving greatness, the expensive hardware has to at least be part of the discussion. Logitech bit the bullet two weeks ago and lowered the price of their Revue from $250 to $99 — and it seems Sony has decided they might take a bit of that medicine too.

Their Google TV-powered HDTVs, which debuted in October, are getting hefty price cuts. Sony also made clear that these are not being made cheaper because there are better ones coming out soon — they just want to capture more market. That’s code for “they were too expensive to begin with.”
    Here’s the breakdown (according to Amazon, and confirmed by Sony), by display size:

24": $600 $295
    32": $800 $498
    40": $1000 $723
    46": $1400 $961

The best savings are on the 24" version — and while Google TV wasn’t exactly a big hit among the TV-watching public at large (they prefer just watching), an internet-powered display like this could be a hit in a dorm room or kitchen.

Google TV will probably be around for a while, so it’s not a bad investment (and not a bad price for a 24" set anyway), and the platform should be getting an update in the next few months as well, so you could be doing yourself a favor picking one up now.

SOURCE

2. tp76

tp76 New Member

My 40" was on sale at Best Buy from $999 to $799 three weeks ago - great deal IMO

3. CatfishRivers

CatfishRivers Well-Known Member

The article mentioned: "the platform should be getting an update in the next few months as well, so you could be doing yourself a favor picking one up now".

So what happened to the end of September? Is Google going to delay the update yet again to "the Holidays"?

4. sparkyscott21

sparkyscott21 Moderator Staff Member

It will be a x-mas present!! :cool:

5. HeatherA

HeatherA New Member

I bought the 46" last Sunday from Best Buy for $598! A heck of a deal if I do say so myself. Loving the TV!

-HeatherA
    New to Google TV and loving it!

Owner of: Logitech Revue | 46" Sony Google TV

6. jmattock

jmattock New Member

How did you get the 46" for only $598? Was it a short term special/discount?

7. eferz

eferz Well-Known Member

Yes, it was a weekend sale that Best Buy had a certain locations. The ones which participated near me were all sold out by Saturday morning. :(

8. HeatherA

HeatherA New Member

It was a few weekends ago when Best Buy had the 32" in its circular on sale for $499. I was interested in that TV so I was on the website and noticed that for $100 more I could get the 46" so I snapped it up. By the time I got home from the store at 11:30 they had changed the price to $999 so it may have been a price error (that's what some were told) but I was lucky enough to get it. Glad I didn't waffle on whether to buy it or not. From what I've read on Slick Deals this happened a few days earlier in the middle of the week as well on the same TV.

9. dalepa

dalepa New Member

Picked up the 46" for $850 at frys last weekend.

10. ashvid

ashvid New Member

That might have been a display model price but there was no sale for that amount. There was no clearance and the TV is still at BB for $999. The 40" DID go a sale a few places for $599.

ash =o)

11. HeatherA

HeatherA New Member

Nope. There WAS a sale for it. Both on the 3rd and the 7th the price dropped on Best Buy's website to $598. I was lucky enough to catch it and bought it. May have been a mistake sale price, but it was available for any that saw it on the site to purchase. I was not unhappy to see the price go back up, it was nice to know I got a bargain on this set.

BTW... the 24" is sold out at most Best Buys and discontinued. We went looking for one for my daughter yesterday. She managed to buy one open box for $267 via Amazon so we're soon to have 2 in the family.

12. bidger

bidger Member

Confirm on both counts, it was briefly priced @ that price and it was a pricing error.

13. ashvid

ashvid New Member

That makes more sense. A price mistake is not the same as a "sale" they are generally not honored but a couple people always sneak thru, there are a few crazy stories out there where people snuck thru crazy things.

ash =o)