Quantcast

Sony.com

Discussion in 'Sony's NSZ-GS8 / NSZ-GS7' started by overtimeman, Oct 3, 2012.

1. overtimeman

overtimeman Active Member

Went up to the site to read more reviews on our GS7 and most of the newer posters are more happier with their purchase.What surprised the heck out of me was at the top it stated,"Your browser is outdated."Come on Sony and get with the program and give us a browser update!I use the browser more on my GS7 cause it is wired so I do all my banking,bill pay,and keep my 4O1K up to date.Yep i do netflix and amazon(need real app) and crackle but what I love about the Sony is it's the best of both worlds! :)

2. CatfishRivers

CatfishRivers Well-Known Member

Google is the one that needs to update the GTV Chrome browser because that is baked into the GTV OS update. Sony can tweak their firmware after they get the OS update from Google. (Google supplies the base OS to Sony and Sony supplies the drivers for their hardware). The ball is in Google's court. But I agree GTV has a modified version of Chrome 11 - and it hasn't been updated coming up on one year now. The current Chrome version is Chrome 22 I believe.

Google has already stated that they no longer intend to update the Flash version on GTV devices. They believe things will be better with HTML5 instead.

Last edited: Oct 8, 2012
    • Like Like x 2
  3. CatfishRivers

CatfishRivers Well-Known Member

I just tried to use Google maps with my Logitech Revue and found out that it's no longer fully functional. I am unable to get the directions to load. After I enter the starting and ending addresses - then click for "directions" the screen says "loading" - however the directions never load.

I'm thinking that the javascript capability of the outdated Chrome 11 browser (that comes with GTV) is the cause of the problem.

You'd think Google would have better coordination between it's own services/divisions - so that GTV wouldn't appear as though it's being cast aside as an afterthought. jmho.... It's bad enough that more and more videos on YouTube are becoming non-functional with GTV because they require Flash 11.

Last edited: Oct 5, 2012
  4. overtimeman

overtimeman Active Member

I went to GTV facebook site and made mention of the three places where I saw the banner at the top of the page stating "Your browser is outdated."They promised it would be forwarded to to Google engineers.Also while on Sony Chat I told them about same scenario and they said they will fill out a report on this and give it to Google and Sony engineers! They were descent enough to tell me to hold on for a few while they checked out the GS7 homepage.They were glad I bought it up.Working with GTV is more professional than trying to get anything done with Microshaft during the webtv/msntv days.Still leaves a bitter taste and feelings with me.Both Google and Sony promised me that they were working diligently to bring us more upgrades to out Sony units.Good enough for me! Mike :)

• Like Like x 2