Quantcast

Sony Box and screen resolution?

Discussion in 'Sony Blu-Ray Set Top Box' started by jborello, Nov 28, 2011.

1. jborello

jborello New Member

Hey everyone-

I'm starting to learn more and more about this device thanks to this forum and the helpful frequenters. I recently started playing around with the browser, apps, etc., and one thing I've noticed is that the screen isn't "cropped" right. The browser and some apps run through the left and right of my screen essentially chopping off information and pictures from either side of the screen. I've adjusted the screen resolution and went through the system restart that it prompts but the problem remains persistent. I've attached a couple examples from either corner of a facebook screen where it cuts off the share button and photo buttons.

$IMG_0638.jpg $IMG_0639.jpg
    Thanks.
    JB

2. eferz

eferz Well-Known Member

It looks the you've over zoomed those pages. Try holding down the Zoom button and swiping the Optical Finger Sensor towards you to decrease it.

• Like Like x 2
  3. jborello

jborello New Member

Thanks again for the prompt response eferz. Zooming back out actually makes it more pronounced. It's not just browser and apps either. It also cuts off the bottom left corner of the home screen when editing widgets.

On a side note, I used your advice for the surround sound problem and I can get volume through the speakers now, but I just have to physically turn the receiver on and off. Very livable problem.

• Like Like x 2
  4. eferz

eferz Well-Known Member

Have you tried adjusting the GTV Settings > Picture & sound > Picture size control panel? Also, what is the make and model of your television? You're television might be set to arbitrarily upscale the HDMI input, or orbital shifting to prevent plasma burn-ins. Since the Google TV devices have a static resolution, you may have to turn those settings off.

5. jborello

jborello New Member

Yes I did GTV Settings > Picture & sound > Picture size control panel twice and did the automatic restart it prompts you to try before posting. I do have a Samsung Plasma PN51D450. I do have the burn in settings turned off also. It's not just corners, it also cuts off some search boxes, and in chrome, I don't use the scroll bar anyways, but that is literally none existent.
    $IMG_0641.jpg

• Like Like x 2
  6. jborello

jborello New Member

Instead of GTV Settings > Picture & sound > Picture size control panel, I'm currently resetting GTV Settings > Picture & sound > Picture Resolution from Auto to 720p.

7. jborello

jborello New Member

I tried going into GTV Settings > Picture & sound > Picture Resolution and setting the box from Auto to 720p and it automatically prompted at the bottom "set to auto" and corrected itself back.

• Like Like x 2
  8. eferz

eferz Well-Known Member

On the PN51D450, press Menu > Picture Options > Picture > Size, what option do you have currently selected?

• Like Like x 2
  9. jborello

jborello New Member

Tv is set at 16:9

10. eferz

eferz Well-Known Member

Try "Screen Fit" according to page 16 of the PN51D450's manual

However there's further instructions in how center the screen. So, I think you'll have to make that setting then perform a factory reset on the Sony Google Blu-ray player so that you can start from scratch and set up the Revue's Resolution and Picture size again. Then center the television screen appropriately with the its menu system.

• Like Like x 2
  11. jborello

jborello New Member

Thanks for again for everything eferz. I can't wait to get home from work and try this out. I got cut off prematurley last night, after making a graceful appearance in the doghouse. Needless to say all my "toys" got taken away lol.

• Like Like x 2
  12. eferz

eferz Well-Known Member

Awww. You're welcome. Glad I could help. I hope it works out for you. *gulp*

• Like Like x 2
  13. jborello

jborello New Member

eferz, the screen fit works! Live TV stays the same, and the sony device fits also, it just leaves about a half inch around the screen but all pictures fit perfectly now in the system. Is that normal? Considering its such a large screen I don't really lose anything.

14. eferz

eferz Well-Known Member

Great! I'm glad it worked out for you.

No, your Google TV display should be meet the edge of the outer perimeter of your LCD screen. Did you ever go through the configuration wizard to appropriately set the Revue's overscan and resolution settings?

• Like Like x 2
  15. jborello

jborello New Member

works like a dream!

• Like Like x 2