Quantcast

sony bluray set top box vs logitech revue

Discussion in 'Sony Blu-Ray Set Top Box' started by upjeeper, Sep 19, 2011.

1. upjeeper

upjeeper New Member

any opinions?

my ps3 died so i need something to play blurays. thinking about this, but...

1. will it play the same video formats a logitech revue plays?
    2. will it get the same update that's supposed to come out for the revue at the end of sep?
    3. suggestions?

thanks!

2. Ranchwest

Ranchwest New Member

For the best content options, I suggest the Sony blue ray with smart Internet content (not Google TV) and the Logitech Revue for the Google TV content.

3. galfert

galfert Active Member

1. The Revue has support for more video formats (not by much)...They both stink as media players anyway...but with the Honeycomb update they should be both better than they are now. If you need a media player replacement you might not want to consider any GTV device....at least wait to see how much better these devices are once Honeycomb comes out.

2. Both Logitech Revue and Sony GTV devices will get the the Honeycomb update

3. I agree with Ranchwest....that for the best Google TV experience you're better off with the Logitech Revue. One major flaw in the Sony GTV is that they left out STB control for A, B, C, D keys and that is huge functionality oversight.

Last edited: Sep 20, 2011
  4. ChrisG8

ChrisG8 Well-Known Member

I only own and have only used the Revue but based on what I have read, I believe the answer depends on whether or not you want a Blu-ray player too. I didn't so I purchased the Revue. There are some advantages for either over the other but for most of us, it sure seems to me that either product will handle the Google TV functions well enough. I love the Revue, I can say that much for certain.

5. galfert

galfert Active Member

I disagree the statement "it depends on if you need a Blu-ray player." If you need a Blu-ray player then get a decent Blu-ray player not the GTV Blu-ray player. It is just like those VCR / DVD combo units. They were all crap....you didn't get a decent VCR and you didn't get a decent DVD player with those combo units. You were better off getting a separate DVD player and a separate VCR. This is the same scenario. Now if you are on a budget and you want both then by all means the Sony Blu-ray with Google TV looks rather nice...but just don't come around hear complaining afterwards. The Sony Blu-ray with Google TV has a lot of features missing. No webcam, no IR reciever - only a blaster so you can't program custom IR codes, no ABCD keys, less media formats supported, smaller keyboard with crappy optical tracking mouse....and on and on....

6. eferz

eferz Well-Known Member

By the way, those keys work for certain set-top boxes but not all of them. I had tested an array of IR Blaster Codes with my IR Scope monitoring the output. There are a lot more that don't work then do; however, they didn't leave them completely out of every profile.

I personally believe because of the Logitech Harmony value-add that the Logitech Revue is far superior to the Sony Internet TV. I can't tell you how frustrated it is knowing that I can customize and control just about any IR command and device through the Logitech Revue but not 24" Sony Internet TV. This is not just certain commands like the color letter symbols which Galfert mentioned, but entire devices like the Xbox 360 which I was going to use as a Media Streamer for the content not currently supported by Google TV like Hulu Plus and ESPN.

There's only a few aspects which I like from Sony Internet TV:

• Sony Media Player has a better User Interface than Logitech. Instead of just using generic folder and file icons, Sony's version will also use the embedded coverart to make it easier to navigate through your files and folders.
    • Sony NSG-MR1 Remote Commander has "Scroll" button which allows your mouse pointer to act as a scroll wheel while it is depressed.
    • Sony Internet TV has the ability to power off the internal Google TV product for true low power requirements while not being in use.
    • Qrocity application is currently only available on the Sony's Google TV implements. Though, I suspect that will change once the Android Market is available.
    Things I like about the Logitech Revue:
    • Logitech Harmony integration provides access to download the IR codes from the Harmony Database and learned them from the original OEM remote. It also allows the customized IR assignment of the controller keys.
    • The Logitech VID application and TV Cam for the Revue is the only synergy that supports teleconferencing through a Google TV device. Even the developers at Google I/O suggested that native video camera support for the Google TV platform is not currently supported but will be available sometime in the future.
    • Built-in support for Logitech Unify Devices to pair any Unify compatible device to the Logitech Revue so no extra wires or dongles are necessary to support a different input device.
    While it will be nice to see what changes come that might level the playing field between the two manufacturers with the next update, as the current state of affairs this is how I disseminate between the current Google TV offerings between Sony and Logitech.

7. ChrisG8

ChrisG8 Well-Known Member

You have used the Sony Blu-ray/Google TV and you believe the Blu-ray player is not decent? Are you just basing that opinion on VCR/DVD combo units, not this specific product? I understand the Sony box uses a more powerful processor than the Revue and there may be some benefit to that at some point and I am not seeing complaints that would make me believe the box is significantly inferior to the Revue. I like the Revue keyboard but not everybody agrees with that opinion but I am certain I could make the Sony remote work well enough.

8. les anderson

les anderson New Member

Picture quality on the Sony watching blurays is very good. It will also upscale dvd to 1080p- and the scaler does a decent job. It is not a high end player but it does compete well in its price bracket in my opinion. The big thing (for some) is no 3D which is kind of odd for a device in Sony's current lineup. It may get it in the future but I doubt it. I could not care less.

The one point made that I would contest is the real value of the Harmony integration in the Revue. Contrary to the promotional material Logitech did prior to launch, the Revue is locked down and intentionally crippled to support only a TV, a cable box and an AVR. That is it. So if you have a bluray player or anything else than you need two remotes out on your table. If you need two remotes, than why not have a real universal remote that can tackle everything perfectly and only use the GTV for GTV functions? This is what it came down to for me. I have my Harmony 1100 and then break out the GTV remote when I want to use GTV. The Harmony can even relay commands to the bluray player over HDMI via the TV so if I need to stop, pause, play whatever I don't even need the Sony remote or line of sight. What is frustrating, is that I bought the Revue initially with the intent of using it as a command center for my mildly complex HT. It failed miserably. To add insult to injury, it doesn't even play with with other Harmony remotes since its IR reception window is terrible. It was awful and the full size keyboard gets old.

So I would say if your home theater setup has any level of complexity than the Revue will fall short which really gives it no advantage in my opinion over the Sony in terms of control. I don't love the Sony controller but I do like it. There is one exception however- and it is BIG. The Sony's built in code base to support AVRs is huge fail. It is tiny and if your AVR is not listed than you are screwed- zero options. If you are interested in the Sony and would like me to verify your AVR is supported drop me a PM and I will be happy to take a look.

The Sony is more powerful, and on the current firmware it is noticeable. From what I have seen though on youtube, the Revue appears to run HC smoothly so power may or may not be a big issue but nonetheless it is always good to have more. A pro for the Revue is that it seems to have a much larger user base. This may prove valuable as apps are developed that may be device specific.

The Sony in my opinion is the better device overall and I still use both.

9. eferz

eferz Well-Known Member

While you are limited to three device profiles: Set-top box, AV Receiver, and Television, you're not actually "locked down" to three devices or specific categories. My Logitech Revue controls a Logitech Z-5500 amplifier, Sony DVD Jukebox, Scientific Atlanta 8300HDC DVR, Microsoft Xbox 360, and a Roku 2. All using the Logitech keyboard remote control. The idea is that the Logitech keyboard has more keys than your average handheld remote control, so you can teach and assign IR commands from any device. Not including the dedicated multimedia keys, you have 26 letters and 10 numbers which you can assign to a [Fn] combination to control your media center via IR.

10. les anderson

les anderson New Member

Right- valid point and I did do that when the Revue was in my main system. However, it was tedious to program and difficult to remember what function is where and there was absolutely zero WAF- even a techie buddy wouldn't have a clue. I will be honest too- I am bitter about this because Logitech advertised the box pre-launch controlling several devices. Then they choose to limit to 3- right before launch. Now, in the context that GTV flopped out of the gates I thought that the least they could do was push out an update to at least give us some additional Harmony functionality. I bought the Revue on launch day for $300+tax! But they couldn't. They never even addressed the 5.1 sound issue and I really just got a bad taste in my mouth over the entire thing.

11. galfert

galfert Active Member

The Revue also has a "Scroll" feature. Just use two fingers on the touch pad and it will scroll.

12. eferz

eferz Well-Known Member

Oh snap! Thanks Galfert, I didn't realize it accepted multi-touch gestures.