Quantcast

Sony BlueRay....Wired Ethernet not connecting after the update.

Discussion in 'Sony Blu-Ray Set Top Box' started by DrewMotz, Nov 4, 2011.

1. DrewMotz

DrewMotz New Member

Anyone else having problems connecting to wired connection after the update?

Beginning with the first reboot after the update, my Sony BlueRay GTV is having problems connecting to network. The clock changes, and even the date gets changed, and so after a little while where it fails to connect, I get the message saying the clock is incorrect, and to reset date and time. It also warns that network is not connected.

If tested every connection, so its not a bad cable or something. It seems after power cycle my DSL modem-router, that it will eventually connect, (not right away, and not consistently.) Once connected it seems to work. But every time I re-boot, I'm back to no connection, and clock/date error. Then having to re-power cycle the router with my fingers crossed, and hoping it will connect...

Any ideas on how to fix, or things to try? This never happened before the Honeycomb update, so I'm pretty sure its something in the new software. Or am I alone with this problem? Thanx

2. futureboy

futureboy New Member

Have you tried to setup your router for Static IP's and then connect using a Static IP?

BTW which google Router model are you using?

3. DrewMotz

DrewMotz New Member

Thanks for the idea on StaticIP, I'll give it a try...
    ...The router I'm using is from my DSL provider, its a Westell 7500. (DSL modem/router combo.)

Never had this issue until the update installed, then started right away. Was hoping someone else had the same issue to know I'm not alone...

I see in a diff. thread others had a similar type issue, but it was only wireless WiFi connection... ...sounded like turning off WPA-PSK encryption helped, but I don't know if that applies to a wired ethernet connection. (Encyiption is a router setting right? May I'll look to see if there are different settings there too when trying static IP.)

Thanx

4. eferz

eferz Well-Known Member

(retraction below static IP is actually configurable for Ethernet not WiFi)

Btw, static IP isn't an option for Google TV since you can't configure it in the network control panel. However, if you want to use the same IP address each time you can create a DHCP Mac to IP address reservation on your router. This will force its DHCP server to assign a specific address with it receives a DHCP request from a the Google TV's MAC address.

WiFi encryption only applies to WiFi connections, so you'd be barking up the wrong tree. I recommend contactacting Sony support so that it can be properly troubleshooted. It may be a problem with the changes made to the DHCP client that made it poorly compatible with the DHCP server on your router. Btw, does your router have any firmware updates available to it?

Last edited: Nov 4, 2011
  5. towboy123

towboy123 New Member

On the user debug you can add static IPs are you sure this isn't available on the Sony if not that would be surprising to me

6. eferz

eferz Well-Known Member

Pretty much, I double-check my answers before I post to avoid making mistakes. However, this interface is new to me and I could simply be missing it. Can you post a screenshot or give me an idea of where to find it in the GTV Settings? I looked under GTV Settings > Network and cannot find an applicable option to toggle or set static IP address.

EDIT: I just found it under Ethernet settings. I've been running on WiFi to try and duplicate a problem that other people have posted regarding flaky connectivity. Apparently, you can toggle between DHCP and Static IP for Ethernet connections but not WiFi. I apologize for this mistake and retract the aforementioned statement.

Last edited: Nov 4, 2011
  7. towboy123

towboy123 New Member

I know that you are very accurate I'm just surprised that they would remove itI believe if you press the options button in the networks settings screen it will give you the option for static IPs

8. eferz

eferz Well-Known Member

Yeah, found it is an available for Ethernet connections only.

9. towboy123

towboy123 New Member

It only available for Ethernet that's just silly but at least it is a start

10. DrewMotz

DrewMotz New Member

Update:
    I assigned static IP for wired ethernet connection, and the "unable to find network" issues after SonyBlueRay-GTV reboots are fixed. It connects right away now. Thanks for the suggestion.

11. futureboy

futureboy New Member

Thanks that was good to hear. BTW you mentioned you are using a Westell 7500, can you provide the full model name and the SW version you are running. This router is used by many ISP's and they all have different firmware. Thanks. It should be something like: a90-7500xx-xx and you can find the FW version: VER:x.xx.xx.xx by logging into your router.

Last edited: Nov 10, 2011
  12. DrewMotz

DrewMotz New Member

Sorry for taking so long to get back to you...

Model name: A90-750044-07
    FW version: 5.02.00.07
    ISP: Frontier

Last edited: Nov 18, 2011
    • Like Like x 2