Quantcast

Sony Blu-Ray got another update on 4/7

Discussion in 'Sony Blu-Ray Set Top Box' started by sputnick, Apr 8, 2011.

1. sputnick

sputnick New Member

My Sony Blu-Ray player got another update. Looks like its just another minor one. Anyone have any news on what it did?

2. kcconk

kcconk New Member

Did not realize update happened. Any upgrade/firmware/software ref number?

3. biggerbyte

biggerbyte New Member

It is a security update.

4. sputnick

sputnick New Member

The software version I have is OGM_2.1_2011023401ON.165187

5. djangofan

djangofan New Member

I didn't notice anything different from this update. Very disappointed it is still Android 2.1 .

The sony forum says "
    System update to Version 1.3.1 released.
    The update is a
    backend update to the "Flash Plug-in." There is no noticeable change to system
    operation."

So, i went onto a flash games site and, in my opinion, Flash games still have a lot of lag. The first flash game I tried crashed on me, the second one just had a lot of lag.

Last edited: Apr 9, 2011
  6. biggerbyte

biggerbyte New Member

One thing I am noticing with this new firmware, is it seems as if the video issues with this device are even worse. It may just be coincidence, but watching Glee on Netflix was a mess. It did not do it all the time, but when the video jerkiness did occur, it was very irritating. It is the same effect that many would get with quick motion video while watching live tv.. Sony seems to have improved that a bit, but Netflix, and even using the blu-ray player is not becoming of what this device should be.

7. sputnick

sputnick New Member

Hmmmm....before the December update I did notice some jerkiness with regular TV. I haven't noticed it since that update. I haven't had any issues with Netflix. In fact it works way better in terms of speed and quality compared to my Roku ans Boxee Box.

8. sputnick

sputnick New Member

Does anybody use the Google TV remote on their Android phone? For me, this app worked awesome when it came out. It does nothing but force close now. I'm really miffed because I love using the phone when in a dark room.

9. biggerbyte

biggerbyte New Member

I guess mine is going to need to go back. I had a complete lockup tonight, which would make two times this has happened now, while coming out of picture in picture. Ctrl-alt-del was the only way out. The lockups started right after the first update that was designed to help the jerky video in live tv.

10. djangofan

djangofan New Member

I get lockups sometimes. About once out of every 20 minutes that I use the NSZ-GT1 but I don't ever use picture-in-picture. I usually get lockups from coming in or out of the media player app.

When the NSZ-GT1 ever gets an upgrade to Android 2.2 or higher, then I would expect that a lot of these problems will be resolved from that higher performing version of the operating system. I wish sony would make a statement about their intentions for the version of the OS.

11. djangofan

djangofan New Member

I've never had a bit of jerkiness from the Netflix app ever , and I have used it every day since last October.

12. biggerbyte

biggerbyte New Member

Maybe it is the higher resolution stuff. Glee is high def. I'm not sure whether to even take mine back. I suppose a swap would be a prudent thing to do. If another one behaves the same way after the firmware updates, then it would be obvious what is going on. I'm getting sick of the glitches, and there is no doubt about that.

13. biggerbyte

biggerbyte New Member

Yet another problem. I've seen this twice, actually. Sometimes when exiting Netflix, instead of dropping back to the home screen, it appears to try and re-load Netflix with an error that Netflix had an unexpected shutdown. The error mentions some sort of invalid path.

Arrrrgggggg!!!

14. djangofan

djangofan New Member

Can you go to Speedtest.net - The Global Broadband Speed Test and tell all of us what you get?

15. biggerbyte

biggerbyte New Member

I get a little over 6 megabits down. It is not a speed problem. If that were the case, the video would just stop and wait for a download. This is the same problem that Sony has with fast action on live tv. That issue seems much better, or even resolved. I even have it while watching movies on the blu-ray. This unit will be going back over the weekend. I see no point in continuing this fiasco. A swap may be in order, in hopes my unit has just gone bad, but I'm just about done over here.

16. kryzdafer

kryzdafer New Member

Got the update for the Sony set top box but still no netflix search support. wtf

17. srramalot

srramalot New Member

AND no DLNA search...I mean WTF is going on here?...This thing was a HUGE waste of money at this point. I want a real update...and I want it NOW

18. philmiami

philmiami New Member

yes it was and was not.
    I like it because I goto Watch Movies Online Free - Just Added and get "movies" in the bedroom full screen on my 40" lcd.
    What I don't like is:
    1: no one has rooted this blu ray google STB
    2: I can not download anything from the market
    so it does have a purpose but now, who rents or buys blu ray's or dvds anymore when you can stream from netflix or the web
    my apple tv2 in the other bedroom streams netflix for my kid so it has a purpose
    just spending $400 for this STB was a impulse buy back in oct 2010
    I should have bought a mac mini and a small bluetooth keyboard/trackpad and used it instead of this overpriced blu ray but if they do a OTA to atleast 2.2 or 3.0 then I won't feel like it was a total waste

19. dlbark

dlbark New Member

I know you're in different revelation of understanding the Sony nsz-gt1, you have to know that GOOGLE is responsible for the 3.1 update and not sony. Also some early posts seemed to be a bit "retarded" but this box purpose is not to replace a pc or confuse it with the PS3 gaming system. It brings the novelty of watching streaming content on hd tv's that do not have internet capabilities. You wouldn't expect it from a netbook. This thing has a Atom 1.6 processor in it and no hdd. Let's get real people.