Quantcast

Sony Blu-ray Disc player Google TV Update

Discussion in 'Sony Blu-Ray Set Top Box' started by Rickaren, Oct 29, 2011.

1. Rickaren

Rickaren New Member Staff Member

Sony Internet TV Nabs Google TV Update

Saturday, October 29, 2011

This week, Sony announced a software update to the Google TV platform that powers the Sony Internet TV Blu-ray Disc player. This latest version not only powers existing Google TV features, but also adds the Android Market for apps. It'll roll out to connected Sony Internet TV devices by early next week.

Today's update brings a simpler and clean interface, improved performance, better search functionality and the Android Market to all currently installed Sony Internet TV and Sony Internet TV Blu-ray owners. Additionally, future consumers of Sony Internet TVs and Blu-ray Disc players will receive the update during the initial start-up installation. Other new benefits include better integration with Android and iOS devices, like
    smartphones and tablets.

SOURCE

2. jbish

jbish New Member

Great News! i have the Blu-ray player that I purchased the first week it came out in October 2010. I have to say I've been disappointed because of the long wait and the lack of a HuluPlus application. i would like to buy a second unit if Sony, Google and Hulu get thing ironed out so Sony Google TV functions at a level that is consistent with the bucks that one has to throw down to purchase these Sony products. No offense to non-Sony Google TV people, but I'm really glad us Sony people are getting some attention concerning this upgrade issue.

3. b0Ne

b0Ne New Member

I can't wait!!!! I wonder if we will be able to hook up a webcam to it?

4. o0adma0o

o0adma0o New Member

I wonder if it will be available at 12am on Sunday :D

5. ColmARocK

ColmARocK New Member

Hello all, is 8:16 AM here in Montreal, I'm wondering if some of you already get the update. I which the didn't talk about next Sunday (November 7th).

6. jbish

jbish New Member

I think everyone needs to show some patience. I doubt the update will be delivered when we all wish it would be. I am simply happy that "something" is happening at last. Of course, that assumes "something" does happen versus this turning out to be another heartbreaker. Listen to me, like I don't have a life beyond the upgrade of my Sony Google TV.

7. les anderson

les anderson New Member

Nothing yet. I am forcing an update check every couple of hours.

8. towboy123

towboy123 New Member

Forcing the update will do nothing you will get it when your time is up.

9. o0adma0o

o0adma0o New Member

8:45am in TX... still nothing. Yeah yeah i know.. patience...

10. ColmARocK

ColmARocK New Member

Maybe the guy who will push on the "release-update button" start at 10:00AM on Sunday... Hope is not sick!

When I force the update, I found really frustrating the "Your system is currently up to date" message, No is not and you know it!

Last edited: Oct 30, 2011
  11. b0Ne

b0Ne New Member

Man I sure hope they wait until the Houston texans plat! I don't want to miss any of the game! ....the update will be nice though.

12. sentozen

sentozen New Member

No updates from google yet? Are we really getting a update today? This $ucks.

13. b0Ne

b0Ne New Member

Has anyone actually read somewhere that it says Sunday is when the update is coming or does it say early next week?

14. Rickaren

15. b0Ne

b0Ne New Member

Do you know if we can use a webcam with the update ?

16. Rickaren

Well I suppose you already know there is presently a web cam available for the Logitech Revue GOOGLE TV.

To add a web cam to a DVD player would require a hardware upgrade or software to the player I believe and would not allow more than the Google TV 2.0 software, I would think. Not knowable on the Sony unit so hopefully I'm wrong!

There are some players that allow Skype for TV. Have you looked into that option?

Logitech - TV Cam for Google TV

Skype for TV

http://shop.skype.com/webcams/

GOOD LUCK!

Last edited: Oct 30, 2011
  17. towboy123

towboy123 New Member

The Sony and the revue both use the same atom processor. So the hardware is there

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk

18. Gone

Gone New Member

Can't wait for this update!!! I am sooo excited!!

19. jbish

jbish New Member

I just received an email this morning from Google TV telling me about the update they are releasing in the next few weeks. This was an email from "Google" about this subject. The email detailed the new update and included pictures of the various new screens. And yes, the App Market is in the update.

I will include the text portion of the email for those that wish to see the contents of the message (sorry, I could NOT include links and pictures contained in the email because this forum does not allow a members with fewer than 10 posts to submit links and pictures);

Hello,

Thank you for having purchased a Google TV product with the initial version of our software.
    We're excited to send you this advance notice about a number of software improvements that will soon be coming to your device through an automatic update. The update is rolling out over the next few weeks.

When you see a dialogue box on your TV saying "update available," feel free to click "update now," otherwise you can postpone the update by a few hours by clicking "not now" (handy if you're in the middle of watching a movie). Once the update has downloaded, just follow the on-screen instructions.

The on-screen instructions include a quick guide to what's new, but here's an overview of the exciting new features we're bringing you:

Keep it simple

The interface is now much simpler. The new customizable home screen gets you to your favorite content quickly. And within "all apps" you can see all of your shortcuts, similar to your Android phone or tablet.

Make it easy to find something worth watching

We've improved search across the board for content from live TV, Netflix, YouTube, HBO GO, and more. But what if you don't know what to search for? There's now an app called "TV & Movies" that let's you easily browse through 80,000 movies and TV episodes across cable or satellite, Netflix, Amazon, YouTube, and many other sites. If you've opted in to recommendations, we can better predict what you want to watch next.

Make YouTube better on TV

We're launching a new YouTube experience specifically built for Google TV. It is now fast and easy to get to your favorite HD-quality YouTube entertainment. And we've integrated YouTube more closely with Google TV search, so that you can turn virtually any topic - mountain biking, cooking, etc. - into a channel.

Bring more apps to TV

We are opening up the TV to the creativity of content creators large and small through Android Market. Android developers can now bring existing mobile apps or entirely new ones to TV. Initially, the number of apps won't be large - for example, apps requiring a touch screen, GPS, or telephony won't show up - but 50 developers have seeded the Market with some cool and useful apps for the TV. We're excited to see the number of apps grow.

Happy TV watching!

The Google TV Team

20. rajesh78

rajesh78 New Member

I got the same email too!! 24" google TV