Quantcast

Someone please explain how Google TV works with regular channels on my cable box

Discussion in 'Google TV FAQs' started by radman2020, May 17, 2013.

1. radman2020

radman2020 New Member

I cannot find this anywhere. I am looking at a LG TV with google tv on it.

Will it allow me to search for shows playing on my fios, click on them and go there? How does it do this. Does it use an IR Blaster, some sort of app, the hdmi? Does it do all channels? DOes it do On Demand?

It is so confusing and there is nothing out there that explains how this all works.

Thank you.

2. Fomol620

Fomol620 Active Member

if you buy a LG google TV, yes it will do more or less what you ask there, using IR Blaster cables.

so when you first set up your TV the initial set up process has you enter your zip code (so the TV knows where in the US your located) and when you 'setup your cable box', part of those steps you will select who your cable provider is and if you pay for premium channels (HBO, CInemax, ect...), then you will place the IR blaster cables above the sensor on the cable box, next steps you verify if the correct codes work, then its set up. so now the TV knows where you are (zip code) and what TV channels you should get (you told the TV who your provider is and what channels you have).

now that its set up when you go to the "prime time" app (or hit guide on the remote) it will be able to tell you what shows are on what channels in real time or in the future and it will allow you to select shows that come from some of the premium apps (Netflix, amazon, etc..). you find a TV show, you click on it, and because you're using the IR blaster cables it will change the channel on the cable box for you. as far as on demand, i dont think so, it will probably on do the actual channels them selves.