Quantcast

Some Youtube Videos No Longer Play

Discussion in 'Sony NSZ-GT1' started by philw1776, Mar 7, 2015.

1. philw1776

philw1776 New Member

I get an (erroneous) message Can't Play Out of Country Videos

Other vids from same user play fine

Happens with many different users

Is there some obscure setting I need to adjust?

2. ChrisG8

ChrisG8 Well-Known Member

Not sure, which country and which user? Also list a few of the videos that won't play, I can check to see whether I can play those videos.. The rights for videos can certainly vary by country and some videos from a given user may not be available in all countries. In any event, if this isn't a rights issue, it sounds like it could be a YouTube issue or the videos that won't play are encoded in a format that Google TV can't play.

3. philw1776

philw1776 New Member

Thanks. I am in the US. These are US videos. They play on other devices such as my PC. It is some type of Google TV issue.

4. ChrisG8

Give me a few examples of YouTube videos that won't play on Google TV. My guess is a requirement of a newer version of Flash is the cause but I would like to see some examples.

5. philw1776

philw1776 New Member

Won't play "Not available in your country" (I'm in USA)

Will play...same user

Won't play

All play on my laptop

There were many others on varied topics that I gave up and deleted so I don't have the URLs anymore

• Like Like x 1
  6. CatfishRivers

CatfishRivers Well-Known Member

I am in USA with a Logitech Revue and I tried the first NFL video that you posted which doesn't work for you - and it works fine for me. (I used the GTV Chrome browser with the YouTube web site and not the GTV app).

Do you experience this problem with the GTV YouTube app or with the Chrome browser?

Some things that might be worth a try - try re-entering your zip code in the GTV settings - also try rebooting your router. Unfortunately if you are experiencing this issue with the app then IMO the problem is probably on Google's end.

7. ChrisG8

I just tried all 4 with a Sony NSZ-GT1 and an Android mini PC. The results were identical for the 4, the first only showed a message that the NFL holds the copyright and playback is not available. The second played which only means the NFL hasn't issued Google a takedown order for an infringing video, nothing to do with Google TV. I used the Chrome browser to play all four videos with both devices I tested. I doubt if your laptop will play the first video now unless it uses a VPN to spoof YouTube as being outside the US.

8. ChrisG8

Actually if I go to YouTube, I can play the first video. Trying to play here with the Chrome browser, looks like this.

Attached Files:

9. CatfishRivers

Yeah I just tried the first video again with Chrome browser on my Logitech Revue in USA and it works fine. There is even a 15 second commercial before the video starts. I noticed that the video is from the official NFL YouTube channel - and not some 'mom & pop' user posting without copyright permission.

Using YouTube with Logitech Revue Chrome browser - I have only come across a few Vevo music videos not available in USA - and those are intentionally designed for other countries (and not in English). In these cases the message says "The YouTube uploader has not made this video available in your country". (All of the sample videos posted in this thread work fine with the Chrome browser on my Logitech Revue)

So IMO there is either a bug with the YouTube app or more likely some content owners have "a licensing issue" with some of their content working on the YouTube app (in various countries).

Last edited: Mar 8, 2015
  10. CatfishRivers

Well come to think of it - the question was raised on another thread about what advantages a Chromebox would have over GTV. This apparent 'crippling' of full YouTube availability on the YouTube app - would be a definite plus in favor of the Chromebox. The Chromebox obviously has a better Chrome browser and the videos aren't blocked on the desktop YouTube web site.

Taking this a step further - the official Android TV platform doesn't even offer 'official' support for a web browser - so IMO if full unobstructed YouTube access is a priorty then this could be worth considering when making a device purchase.

The official Android TV platform has their own YouTube app - and I don't have Android TV to test that. However my hunch is that if some YouTube videos are 'blocked' from working on the GTV YouTube app - they would also likely be blocked on the Android TV YouTube app.

In the past when using the GTV YouTube app I got quite a few notices about videos not being available - so I quit using the app and access YouTube with the Chrome browser.

11. guest

guest Active Member

Confirm your Date/Time/Location information in Settings.

12. philw1776

philw1776 New Member

Router is not the issue as YouTube vids play on my Mac. Also ALL videos listed play on the Mac so there is no NFL issue. Also the videos from ESA (European Space Agency) and music videos do NOT play on the GoogleTV but do play on the Mac.

My conclusion, something in the Google TV application senses something, possibly in the session layer or possibly some obscure YouTube setting that it cannot handle.

Bummer. I own two really crappy YouTube play devices, my TiVo Premier and the Google TV box.

13. philw1776

philw1776 New Member

Sorry I forgot to add, Thank You for your responses!

14. guest

guest Active Member

If your problem is in relation to the YouTube App and not viewing YouTube in the browser, no one has mentioned the following as possible solutions : In the YouTube App, clear data and do a force stop, uninstall updates (maybe you received a corrupted update), delete history/cache/cookies (worth a try). If nothing works, do a Factory Reset. If the problem STILL occurs after a factory reset, then I'd be resigned that maybe you have a lemon.

Edit: I've had instances where I couldn't access Gmail until my date/time/location setting was set-up properly!

• Like Like x 1
  15. CatfishRivers

IMO his GTV device is not a lemon - rather GTV has issues with content owners blocking (or not enabling) their content from working on the YouTube app. I've previously experienced blocked videos on the GTV YouTube app - and it's been mentioned here on the forum numerous times by other users.

*Update: I tried the first NFL video with the YouTube app on my Logitech Revue - it took about a minute to start - at first the blue circle just kept spinning around - but finally the advertisement and then the video played good. So try Guest's advice of clearing data from your YouTube app.

I'm using the GTV YouTube app version 1.1 (it's the original version that came pre-installed on GTV).