Quantcast

Some Videos not playing in Google TV

Discussion in 'Google TV General Discussion' started by vkg, Jun 13, 2012.

1. vkg

vkg New Member

Iam unable to play some movies in youtube on google tv

Iam getting a message saying that i have to update Adobe Flash Player

Not able to Update because it is inbuilt with Google Chrome Browser

Can you please help me ?

2. Carlszone

Carlszone Well-Known Member

Hi

Those movies are rentals. For some reason our units are not properly distinguishing the Youtube rental listing from the free movie listing. So the only way the security buffers can block us is to do it by browser. But one good thing about it is sometimes you'll find a rental not blocked and this device will play it. SSSH!

Carl

3. CatfishRivers

CatfishRivers Well-Known Member

In general I think this is a result of content owners using DRM through Flash 11 to protect their content. This is explained in the following article:

Flash Access 3: DRM in Android Devices

4. Carlszone

Carlszone Well-Known Member

Hi Catfish

Here is a rental that has not yet been blocked: It doesn't show up on our App. But if you look the movie up w/our search feature, and then choose Google and click on Videos, you can access it from Chrome: Acts Of Valor. Presently it is priced at $3.99.

Give it a week, maybe more and this movie will say, either 'update player' or 'not authorized to view.'

This is why playing Youtube rentals hasn't been fully incorporated w/the Logitech Revue. I believe they are still working on the security protocols. Somehow Google failed to take into account our browsers and how it interacts w/the Youtube rental site.

Waiver:

I don't advise users to take advantage of this lapse in security. I post this info for demonstration purposes only. Personally I don't buy rentals. While I have watched a lot of movies I thought were free, once I realized the content was not being legally obtained, I desisted. But it is hard to know which is free and which are meant to be paid for. But if a movie is fairly new I check their rental listings.

Carl

Last edited: Jun 14, 2012