Quantcast

Some questions to alleviate disappointments

Discussion in 'Google TV General Discussion' started by MoggSquad, Dec 31, 2011.

1. MoggSquad

MoggSquad New Member

My Revue came in the other day, and I am feeling disappointed with it. I feel like I am using my Dad's webtv from 1995 minus the dial up. Looking for some advice on features that I may be missing out to make me feel better about this purchase.

My disappointments mainly are due to Amazon Instant Video / Music and DirecTV integration. They are listed below:

1. Amazon Instant Video is not a true app, just a chrome bookmark. I never cared for Amazon's video interface on their webpage and was expecting an app that was more clean and streamlined with revue. Does anyone know if Amazon will release a true video app for the Revue?

2. No app for Amazon MP3. I can access it via webpage on the Revue (once again making it feel like a generic web tv), but an app like Google Music would be nice. Amazon MP3 exists in the regular Android market, but not on the Revue market. Will Amazon release a MP3 app for the Revue?

3. Can't distinguish I am an Amazon Prime member. I search through tv and movies through the interface and despite being a prime member with free access to plenty of movies/tv on Amazon, it is unable to distinguish this and tells me I have to buy them when they are free. It looks like there is Netflix integration as it tells me it would be free if I were a Netflix subscriber, but doesn't work this way with Amazon. Is there anyway for GoogleTV to realize I am a Prime member?

4. I can't control my DirecTV box from my keyboard which forces me to have the remote and keyboard together. I can't change channels, access my recordings, etc. I'm wondering if it was configured wrong during the setup phase. I have a HR-24 receiver and I had to type in the model number to get it in the listings. I realize only DishNetwork truly integrates it's channel listings with GoogleTV for a fee, but I was expecting to be able to control the DTV box with the keyboard.

I know a lot of people love theirs so Im hoping to find some of the other finer points of this device. I have a Kindle Fire and use that to surf the web while watching tv, so the chrome browser isn't a huge deal to me.

2. aptraum

aptraum New Member

Not sure about questions 1-3 but regarding #4 you might want to remove and re-add your DirecTV STB. I have a HR24-500 and can access all features including the DVR from the keyboard with no issues.

3. eferz

eferz Well-Known Member

Amazon was discussed during the Google+ http://www.googletvforum.org/forum/...-discussion/3609-hangout-jurek-foryciarz.html

Because the Logitech Revue has IR blasters and the Harmony software component built into it, you can control any IR device that's listed as compatible in the Logitech Harmony Database (http://www.logitech.com/harmony/components). On the chance that there's a IR interference, you should use the mini-IR Blaster to shorten the distance and point the control signal directly to your DirecTV's IR sensor. If your DirecTV box has the option for RF or IR input and remote address pairing then you should make sure that it is set to accept IR and address #1. Otherwise it will not respond to the command queues from the Revue's IR Blasters.