Quantcast

Some MKV play some don't

Discussion in 'Sony's NSZ-GS8 / NSZ-GS7' started by OinkGrunz, Jan 4, 2013.

1. OinkGrunz

OinkGrunz New Member

On my device some (only few) MKV-files can be played, most not.

I am using GTVBox (Movies via WiFi played from NAS), but I also tested with the native player via USB-HD connected directly to NSZ-GS7. Results were identical.

FW is updated to latest version.

I read in several websites that NSZ-GS7 is supposed to play MKV natively.

What is the reason for that? What can I do about it? Is it normal or am I the only one having this problem?

PS: Plex is not an option, since I do not want to run a server.

2. ChrisG8

ChrisG8 Well-Known Member

MKV is a container, compare files that will play with files that won't play to determine the differences, my guess, DTS audio will be the culprit since the NSZ-GS7 does not play DTS audio. Only Google TV box that plays DTS so far is the NSZ-GT1 since it is a Blu-ray/DVD player also and that requires DTS playback to carry those logos.

3. OinkGrunz

OinkGrunz New Member

Thanx, I kind of had the Idea before but thought that there might be something with my setup, because nobody else posted a similar question before.

Unfortunately Sony does not give any info about future FW-updates, so nobody knows if any improvememts can be expected.

I really like the box, but the unability to play many formats that even cheaper boxes can play drives me crazy.

4. trallyus

trallyus Active Member

You could see if your nas will support a nas version of Plex. I have a synology nas myself and can stream stuff off my nas with plex on the nas itself. My nas is not top of the line so it does not transcode my files and uses direct play, but I think it must be powerful enough to downmix my audio with my settings as I have not had problems with using it.

5. TomArt14

TomArt14 New Member

I'm also using GTV Box on the Sony GTV, and though I find the format support to be pretty good on the whole, I do have some videos that won't play and these are usually in MKV container.

It is unfortunate that we don't get better feed-back when this happens, i.e. it would be nice if it said why it can't play a video. I brought this up with GTV Box guy and he said that that information is not available to him.

6. tinsnow

tinsnow Member

files with dts audio do not play since dts is not supported. waiting to buy a dts supported 2nd gen google tv. (the bluray ones will support dts but none are released yet)

7. Techsuperstar

Techsuperstar New Member

I've also seen some inconsistent media player apps. For example, some of my movie files fail to play when using GTVBox but if I use ES File Explorer to browse to the file and play it then it plays fine

8. TomArt14

TomArt14 New Member

Take a look at "popcorn audio convert". (If it doesn't offer to retrieve all dependencies when you first run it then look for the option in the menus.)

I've used it to add an AC3 track to mkv's that only had DTS. It is very useful (esp. since handbrake doesn't have video passthrough).

• Like Like x 2