Quantcast

Sold my Revue, Bought the Sony box - 1 week later

Discussion in 'Logitech Revue' started by alvysyngr, Dec 7, 2011.

1. alvysyngr

alvysyngr New Member

Friday night I came home to a fairly heavy box with the Sony NSZ-GT1 - I was completely psyched since 2 days earlier I had sold and shipped my Revue on eBay and got a pretty nice profit with a Buy it Now (why do people on ebay pay such high prices, I'll never understand it but I don't care :) ). I opened it up and was pleasantly surprised by the quality and weight of the box, I expected a cheap feeling plastic box that felt like it was full of air, instead I got a high quality build.

Setup was absolutely less intuitive than the Revue, especially since it has IR blasters that needed to be threaded through my system ro reach my TiVo HD box. It doesn't appear to support TiVo by name like the Revue but when I tried the codes for Cablevision one of the codes worked and that took maybe 8 tries. After updating the box I was off, I like the new interface but didn't truly mind the old overlay.

I installed some apps and then tried the network. In another thread I explain my situation and frustration but for me anyway, this is not going to be a movie watching device from my network collection, instead I will use my WDTV HD LIVE Plus. I feel they did an ok job but it falls short in the streaming network aspect.

For music, I really like the Google Music app (I use a TOSLink connection for my reciever, not HDMI) and if I am at work I will use that (or Amazon) but the Apple TV 2 interface is better IMO so I will use that instead.

The remote is great and reminds me of my old LG Xenon phone with the keyboard, I like the right side thumbcontrol, it is touch sensitive and if you don't really think about it it works nicely. As a lefty I wish it was on the left but whatevz, that's my life. People say the keys are not layed out intuitely but I think any layout is intuitive once you learn them, it seems well layed out but intimidating for my wife compared to the Logitech (which brings me to my next point)

Google/Sony/LG/Samsung Need to rethink this device for the everyday user, for instance my wife didn't even want an iPhone because she didn't think she would be able to type on it and how would she even get her contacts off her phone anyway??? lol She fought tooth and nail about TiVo because all she wanted to do was 'Watch TV'. She now uses her iPhone to schedule shows on the TiVo and is in love with these devices. Google TV has this potential but needs to take a lesson from Apple, TiVo and Spotify - New stuff is intimidating but when the interface is lovingly designed and it 'just works' it brings success.

I was on eBay and thought to search for a Revue out of sheer curiosity, someone had a buy it now for $60, zero feedback but lived somewhat local, I shot him an email asking if he can meet me in Penn Station with it, I will pay cash and he agreed and now I have the device sitting on my desk waiting for me to use it. My wife will enjoy using the old keyboard with the Sony and I will install the Revue in the bedroom and use the iPhone app to control it with our iPod touches and iPhones.

Bottom line - I really like the Sony box, it is here to stay (for the time being) but it still needs updates and refinement. The Revue is just as good (or bad) as the Sony box minus a BluRay player. 3.1 hasn't added much for me but the addition ofthe App Store and Amazon store shows potential and I look forward to the coming growth.

• Like Like x 2
  2. dakjones

dakjones New Member

Im not sure if this is the appropriate place to ask this question so apologies if it isn't. I have a Sony GTV in my bedroom and I love it. In my living room I have a Samsung UNC557000. Despite the fact that it has a full blown Windows 7 HTPC hooked up to it I still want the google TV experience in the living room namely for the cable integration (its hard to go back to using the Comcast UI after using GTV). I don't need another blu-ray player in the living room so ive been thinking about getting the Logitech box but im worried about future support for the device. Does anyone know about another GTV box on the horizon or a similar product (Boxee Box or Roku) that has cable service integration?

3. cordova5252

cordova5252 New Member

search the forum i think that question was ask already. I forgot

4. RedBank

RedBank New Member

On Black Friday I picked up the Revue with cam for $129 (picked up 2 actually) and on "Cyber Monday" I got the Sony NSZ-GT1 BR box. I had the Revue hooked up for about 5 days until the Sony box came...which I just swapped out to give it a run. 24 hours later I hooked the Revue back up just to give it a fair run against the Sony...but had the Sony hooked back up within minutes.

It actually came down to the controller for me. Fits anywhere...and its very ergonomic. I love the feel of the Logitech keyboard...but it's just that...a keyboard. I really don't think there is a huge difference between the the two software wise (2.1 vs 3.1). They are both just as fast as the other IMPO. Also...I'm an Android addict...so I know the difference between the OS features and benefits...but when all is said and done...I will most likely rock the Sony BR box as my main unit. Plus...it has a BR player too! I don't own 1 DVD or BR disc...so it wont get much use just yet.

I will definitely be keeping the Revue though...I could care less if Logitech jumped ship...it's definitely worth the money I paid for it! I'll hook it up to a secondary TV...if I ever need to get one.

BTW...I too am a lefty (demon child). When it comes to anything computer/keyboard...I am so accustomed to righty layouts...I don't even think a lefty trackpad would get used by me.