Quantcast

Solar powered battery charger AA, AAA and specialty batteries

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Discussion' started by ChrisG8, Sep 25, 2011.

1. ChrisG8

ChrisG8 Well-Known Member

Is there a good affordable solar powered battery charger and is anybody using it? I have recently started using rechargeable batteries for remote controls, cameras, portable music players, etc. Just for fun, I thought I would charge some AA batteries for in the yard lights and use them, thinking I may have saved a penny. Of course that isn't a practical option but it did get me to think about the possibility. I want to be able to charge AA, AAA and speciality batteries that can be charged by USB out from the battery charger. If it exists and the economics are something absurd like it will take 50 years of use to breakeven, I probably won't mess with it even if the value is to the enviroment, not financial.

2. Cygnus

Cygnus New Member

sanyo eneloop AA batts are great.

3. ChrisG8

Yes, I understand those are among the best. My question regards charging the batteries by using a solar powered charger rather than one plugged into an electrical outlet, trying to take the environmental advantages a step further.

4. iomatic

iomatic New Member

You can also get a USB eneloop charger and plug that into a Solio.

5. ChrisG8

Thanks, never heard of Solio before. It looks interesting and I would sure be interested in hearing about any first hand experiences.

NEW Solio Bolt Solar Charger (S620-AH1RW)

6. eferz

eferz Well-Known Member

There are a lot of chargers that you can get for batteries. However, it doesn't take much electricity to charge batteries, so it is going to take a long time to "break even" even if you purchased a $20 battery solar charger. A Solar Powered USB power supply is going to be more expensive since it will require its own battery. Instead of looking for an all-in-one solar charger, I suggest that you get separate devices and use them when appropriate.