Quantcast

So what is the future for your Revue?

Discussion in 'Google TV General Discussion' started by Scuzzo, Jan 10, 2012.

1. Scuzzo

Scuzzo Active Member

so far, i have to say im pretty pleased with the new op system.. and after seeing sonys last effort on the new Google Tv form factor.. im not a fan.. the kb on the back is one of those cheesy membrane key pads.. and im not sure about the whole full integration of the Cable Box and the Sound system.. logitech for all its faults, and there were many.. got the form factor and the full size KB right.. mho.. i have comcast and their cable box is just a joke.. so i decided to order my folks one of those refurb revues... now all my pop has to do to find programing is hit the tv button or the tv and movies button.. on the screen..
    but since evey thing is going arm... im betting that apps dev for intel based systems will dry up... no new apps..

the flash component of the revue will get more and more flaky.. and stop working all together..

net flix will.. well ... not load most of the time... wish they would fix that..

but i dont see any value added yet from the new google tv boxes..

so, im sticking with my revue for now...
    how bout you?

2. Jacksmyname

Jacksmyname Member

Sticking with my Revue too.
    I'm also a fan of the Revue's full size keyboard. Just wish it was backlit.
    I don't use it with a cable box, but even without TV integration it's still fun.
    When I first got it back in August, I tried Netflix and Amazon (trials). Both worked fine here (haven't tried either yet with the 3.1 update).
    No video streaming, just music stored on my PC; works fine.
    So, even though my use of the Revue is not as extensive as others, it's still a lot of fun. I really hope that Logitech reconsiders their decision to drop it.

3. eferz

eferz Well-Known Member

I have no choice until someone else releases another Google TV set-top box an IR sensor. LOL. I have a feeling that my Revue is going to have to last for a very long time.

4. ChrisG8

ChrisG8 Well-Known Member

I love the Revue and plan to continue to use until it doesn't meet my needs but the new Sony boxes look great to me if I wasn't already committed to the Revue. I am an enthusiastic user of the Revue but my primary uses are not very sophisticated, public domain movies, web browsing and forum participation. I still use discs for recent movies and OTA for network series and sports. The majority of the complaints I see about the Revue are not an issue for me. I love the full size keyboard.

5. CatfishRivers

CatfishRivers Well-Known Member

I wonder how the new Samsung "InTouch" smart tv converter with the HD camera would compare to the new Sony GTV box. I realize the new Samsung box is not GTV but rather android running a modified android 2.3 OS.

I like a lot about GTV - but certain things such as the URL popping up on the bottom and top of screen (and blocking things) - really needs to be fixed. My hunch is that the web browser on the new Samsung android TV converter won't be as good as the Chrome browser in GTV.

I have no qualms with the Revue hardware and really like the keyboard. The only complaint I have about the Revue is that it doesn't have power management and an on/off switch. I'm not sure how I'd like typing on these new smaller remotes (that come with the qwerty keyboard on one side).

Last edited: Jan 10, 2012
  6. eferz

eferz Well-Known Member

I'm going to be honest with Catfish those handheld remotes with qwerty keyboards are a more or less a convenience rather than a necessity. Wait. I'm not sure if I'm explaining this right. So, let me put it this way, if you use Google TV in the purpose that it was designed then you wouldn't be typing that much on it. You'd maybe use 30 to 40 words in the entire day. However, since you use Google TV as a substitute for a computer, you are definitely not going to enjoy moving from a full sized keyboard to any handheld remote. The ergonomics for typing long term just isn't in their design.

If the time comes and you decide to move on from the Logitech Revue, then I suggest that you get a Unify Receiver and get a friend with a computer to pair the Keyboard for you. That way you can use it with any of these new Android or Google TV devices. Well, at least the ones with USB Host ports anyways.