Quantcast

So, what cloud movie format should I purchase?

Discussion in 'Google TV General Discussion' started by AustenEyre, Nov 25, 2011.

1. AustenEyre

AustenEyre New Member

I've been eyeing a few Christmas movies that I'd love to own to watch every year, but I don't want the physical disks my kids could scratch. I want something I can play on my Sony Google TV, and I'd like to be able to take a mobile copy with me (I'm hoping to buy an iPod Touch soon).

It seems that VUDU can't be taken anywhere on any device. Amazon won't go on an iPod Touch (but works on GTV). ITunes works for the iPod but not GTV. Is there another place/format I should be looking at that would work for both?

2. AustenEyre

AustenEyre New Member

Okay, since apparently there isn't another option, I'd love to hear your opinions on this: if I were to buy today, would you guess that Sony Google TV will eventually incorporate Quicktime or that Amazon will eventually make portable versions for the iPod? Or if I were to buy the iTunes version, is there another way (like Playon or something) that I could stream it from a computer to my Google TV?

3. drhill

drhill Member

I wouldn't expect any co-mingling of Apple software and Amazon software. You need to look at a Android tablet (Transformer Prime/Amazon Fire) or PMP (Samsung makes 5" ones) if you want to play nice with your google tv device.

I can't really help too much. I have a Xoom (tablet) but I can't recommend it as a media player (Tegra2 cpu is crap).

I wouldn't rule out Quicktime (non drm) support on Google TV via 3rd party developers, but native code isn't yet supported and devs haven't been crawling out of the woodwork for these devices... not that I blame them, Google barely supports the platform.

4. eferz

eferz Well-Known Member

I personally don't care so much for "Cloud Formats", I'd rather buy my own disc and make a backup copy. That way I ensure it is stored in a format that is compatible with all my devices. This also prevents me to having to deal with arbitrary problems like things like DRM or client compatibility. I'm all for capitalism and competition but things like digital ownership seriously needs be managed by a government agency, like with a home deed or vehicle title. Not that it has happen yet, but I should not lose the ability to play content if the company that sold me the digital rights goes under.

5. Cygnus

Cygnus New Member

I rip DVD to an mp4 file formatted for ipod touch and iphone screen. I have no problems playing the file on all of my devices.

6. MStrawder

MStrawder New Member

I've been slowly, but surely ripping my DVD's and storing them on my media server. I can access them in the living room with my Revue and the kids can watch them on their PC's. More labor intensive yes, but as Eferz said, I have a format I can play in any physical player, and with the use of servers like PlayOn or Plex, I have my media available just about anywhere.

7. AustenEyre

AustenEyre New Member

Okay, so how do you make a backup of a DVD? I have no clue how to rip one.