Quantcast

So goes Amazon so Goes the world... is the vizio co-star dead?

Discussion in 'Google TV General Discussion' started by Scuzzo, Mar 30, 2013.

1. Scuzzo

Scuzzo Active Member

this might ruffle some feathers but considering the kinda crap that allowed here i dont so why they would lock this post... and it may be of help to some one interested in buying one of these.. i pretty much see this as a fail.. if you take a look at amazon, they are not selling the vizio costar any more... not even saying its out of stock... its just not sold through amazon.. i have seen this kinda thing happen with a few boxes.. the revue, the GT1.. orphan streaming boxes.. you might be able to by one else where... but why did amazon dump it? 430 reviews and nothing past 3 stars.. thats kinda telling... now you can get a new one for 125 bucks from some merchant online.. or perhaps walmart has some... its just odd how quick the supply chain has dried up... so.. i doubt that the co-star has the kinda traction to get vizio to push for a 3rd gen... who knows Google IO may have a magical surprise instore... but I think "So Goes Amazon So Goes the World"... i think we are looking at another orphan GTV.. so i guess that leaves sony as the last hat in the ring... unless the pulse or asus gains a following... and there is that box by CST i think.. its a gtv... but i tend to trust the sway of a negativity if its a sample of 430 users.. thats large enough of a sample for me to say.... "wow... there just may be a reason not to invest in a 98 dollar gtv box.. i guess amazon must have seen it that way too... seems like a WISE decision to me... :cool:

seem like you can get a few from amazon warehouse..
    Amazon.com: Buying Choices: VIZIO Co-Star Stream Player With Google TV - VAP430

but amazon is not selling
    Amazon.com: VIZIO Co-Star Stream Player With Google TV - VAP430: Electronics

Last edited: Mar 30, 2013
  2. ChrisG8

ChrisG8 Well-Known Member

I can't tell whether Amazon has quit selling the Vizio Co-Star forever or just temporarily but it appears that the customer returns are high with all of the listings at Amazon Warehouse Deals. The marketplace sellers are offering the box at a premium price. The Sony NSZ-GS7 is being sold at a discount by Amazon and I have always recommended buying it rather than the Co-Star and at the current price difference, that choice is even easier in my opinion.

3. CatfishRivers

CatfishRivers Well-Known Member

I have seen instances when Amazon was out-of-stock of the Sony NSZ-GS7 and sometimes it mentions that specifically they (Amazon) are out-of-stock and it is being offered by so-and-so thrid party sellers. While other times it doesn't mention that Amazon is out-of-stock but just lists the third party sellers offering it. And then Amazon always eventually gets the NSZ-GS7 back in stock. So I wouldn't read too much into the fact that Amazon doesn't mention that they are out-of-stock of Co-Stars.

However one disturbing thing that I noticed is that apparently Walmart is no longer offering the Vizio Co-Star for sale either. I just searched the Walmart web site and the Co-Star isn't even listed anymore. (No mention of being out-of-stock).

Costco says it out-of-stock and not available.

The Vizio Co-Star is still in stock and currently being offered from the Vizio web site:

VIZIO Co-Star

also Sam's Club has the Vizio Co -Star in stock:

http://www.samsclub.com/sams/vizio-co-star-stream-player/prod8870069.ip?searchTerm=co-star

The Co-Star and the Sony NSZ-GS7 are the 2 best selling GTV boxes - and those aren't exactly raging successes either. Sony tried to initially market the NSZ-GS7 for $200 and it wouldn't sell at that price. It's what I would describe as a "lukewarm" seller only at the reduced price of $168 or so. This is why Sony cancelled their new planned GTV blu-ray player. As for as the Hisense Pulse and the Netgear NeoTV Prime - those 2 GTV boxes sales are selling way worse than the Logitech Revue ever sold at it's lowest point. (This is based on my observation of the Amazon sales charts that I have followed closely all the way back to the days of the Logitech Revue).

* Note: I noticed that if I search the Walmart site directly for the Vizio Co-Star nothing shows up. However from the "Find-A-Retailer" link on the Vizio web site the Co-Star shows up on Walmart - but it says that it's not available. It could be that when a product is out-of-stock it doesn't show up through a search from within the Walmart web site. From the "Find-A-Retailer" link on the Vizio Co-Star web site it goes to the following Walmart page:

http://www.walmart.com/ip/VIZIO-Co-Star-Stream-Player/22664414

Anyway my hunch is that the Co-Star has not been discontinued.

Last edited: Mar 30, 2013
  4. ChrisG8

I bought two more Sony NSZ-GT1 Blu-ray/Google TVs from Best Buy this week, open box, so I am stocked up on that model. I still hope LG or another mainstream Blu-ray player manufacturer will offer a new Blu-ray/Google TV model but if it doesn't happen, the NSZ-GT1 is a really good one. For me, the first generation Sony is about 95% of the second generation model as far as Google TV functions, the few apps specific to the new models are not critical to me but over time, I suspect some ARM processor only apps will be more important than the ones I have seen so far.

5. Scuzzo

Scuzzo Active Member

fair enough... but usually if amazon store in going to carry a product and its out of stock there is a notice like "more on the way soon" or "out of stock".. when they drop a product there is no notice... it just passes off to some on line vendors with weird names and huge markups... like "Super Global Fun Time Accessories" or what ever... and it will have some huge price jump 156.00 + S/H... i think its a dead box.. perhaps a little less dead then the pulse.. will google give GTV3 a go? we will see... i think if the Ouya gains traction.. it may start big companies looking at android boxes.. but who knows.. I do know GTV works for a lot of things but its hampered by cable agreements, flash support, and has a heck of a bad time getting adopted by the consumer.. there are just a lot of holes in the business concept what the public wants gtv to be.. and what it is... are quite a bit different.. and until something gives.. i dont see much changing.. and i still like gtv... for what it dose..

6. Djinn5150

Djinn5150 New Member

I myself would be happy as a pig in s*** if I could get a full blown jellybean android box with a hdmi input and a "tv player", in enough time I am sure someone is going to figure out how to unlock the bootloader reliably on these things and then custom roms will follow. I can't wait for the day I can do it to my costar

7. ChrisG8

I haven't been following the Google TV hacking status but if we are going to see the bootloader unlocked, it is sure taking a lot of time unless I have missed some developments in that area. I would like to see the Logitech Revue or Sony NSZ-GT1 opened up personally but I will assume nobody is even looking at those any longer.

8. Djinn5150

Djinn5150 New Member

There has been progress made but they are keeping most things pretty hush hush to avoid having patches issued, as well as improving stability/reliability. I came across a tweet from one of the GTVHacker's showing they have even obtained root on the LG G2's but thats all that has been said on those devices. It's still a work in progress so maybee in the next couple years lol...

9. Scuzzo

Scuzzo Active Member

i think the tech curve will negate a usefull root for gtv.. android boxes are now cheap and fully open why root an under powered low mem device.. when you can get a well supported android box that is on the latest hardware and firm ware for the same price or less? now if they open the gtv to a lunix port.. then i will be happy.. but being to root an eol product that technology has stripped past in months time let alone man i hate thumb typing.... where technology may head in a year time... cable is dying.. it all heading on line.. mho.. so hdmi input is not an issue i need. past that... im not sure where gtv trumps non gtv boxes... perhaps google will have some nice gtv news at io... but if its just an app for prime time or perhaps a make over of the gui.. nope sale... i ave that stuff a ton and a truck load.. fork gtv towards jb... pure jb.. not honey comb bean..ick... or just support ndk and open the boot now... years from now is just too long a wait.. by then its all on the cloud and being ran by a tara byte of mem..with 10x core cpu... we will see.. hey just got an email new firm ware is avail for my minix x5... cool.. this makes 2 up dates since i bought it.. good company support!

• Like Like x 2
  10. Djinn5150

Djinn5150 New Member

Just cuz you can is the way I look at it, same reason I am going to build a raspberry Pi based player...that I am going to stuff inside an old xbox with a hard drive and whatever else I can think of.....but yes if they would open up NDK that would solve 90% of my gripes with GTV, but it is still young really. Which is why I still say they should have taken the "nexus" route with round two for GTV. Hopefully I/O will reveal some wonderfull path GTV is going to take, but I think its wishfull thinking.
    We are definatly heading towards everything being on the cloud but I think that is farther down the line then anything, there are just too many low bandwith ISPs out there, until Fiber is everywhere it won't take off like it could, IMHO.

How is codec support on the minix x5?

11. CatfishRivers

It looks like Amazon is currently out-of-stock on the Sony NSZ-GS7 also. (It's being offered through a third party seller).

Amazon.com: Sony NSZ-GS7 Internet Player with Google TV: Electronics

*Note: It does seem like there is a different way that Amazon is currently handling the offering of the Co-Star and the NSZ-GS7. For the NSZ-GS7 it says "ships from and sold by Audio & Video Center" - but it (Amazon) claims tthat the Sony NSZ-GS7 is in stock. You can see this mentioned in the box on the top right corner of the Amazon NSZ-GS7 page now. On the Amazon Co-Star page it just lists a few third party sellers but makes no mention of it being in stock.

I'm not sure if there is any significance to this - but just thought I'd mention my observations in comparing the 2 Amazon pages for these GTV devices.

Last edited: Mar 31, 2013
  12. ChrisG8

No, if you click on new, you will see Amazon has it for $166.59. I put 10 in my cart and it appears to me I could check out with all, shown in stock available for delivery by Apr. 2.

13. CatfishRivers

Yes you are correct. I had never noticed Amazon listing a third party seller (instead of themselves (Amazon) - as the main seller of a product when Amazon has a product in stock.. So I just assumed Amazon was out-of-stock.

But I think I figured it out. I clicked to put one NSZ-GS7 in my cart from the main (first) seller listed "Video & Audio Center" - and I saw that Video & Audio Center has the lowest price currently of all the NSZ-GS7 retailers. They have it currently selling for $163.24 which is even lower than Amazon's price (as of the moment).

So it seems to me that Amazon lists the retailer with the lowest price as the main supplier on their product pages.

Nice of Amazon to do that even if it's actually lower than Amazon's own prices -:)

Last edited: Mar 31, 2013
  14. Scuzzo

Scuzzo Active Member

Oh totally agree, with because i can! thats why i rooted this box and my tablet.. once asus said no jellybean,, that was like not cool... so "then i will take matters in to my hands..i would rather have a community with passion and drive to get it right.. then a time table that just plods along with some gran scheme.. of what is most affective for a profit... screw that... i like to own my stuff... all of it... and i dont like being told... you cant do this... but thats tangent..

the codecs are fantastic... what ever can be made to run on android.. will run on minix... and now i have it overclocked and governed to just the right amount..
    its really doing well with 720p with internal HW decode... i have not tried 1080 too much for the pipes.. but 720 is fine... on the xbmc and thats the main purpose for this experiment.. i just want to try gotham now.... it need to be ported to android so i can install.. but the internal player is just a real game changer... with that xbmc has stole the show.... it really is a supream ultra upscale... full turbo charged overclocked alien rocket fueled UFO of awesome..... nah.. but its pretty freaking cool... and im to the point i can tell comcast.. take a train and a truck load................................

15. CatfishRivers

The Co-Star is currently back in stock on Amazon:

Amazon.com: VIZIO Co-Star Stream Player With Google TV - VAP430: Electronics

*On the Amazon Co-Star webpage there is currently the following message:

"Vizio Co-Star Firmware Upgrade Release Notes
    To address usability issues of this product, Vizio has released a firmware update that provides improved functionality, including new Google Play store and interface, increased HDMI video and audio stability, faster menu and navigation performance, and improved Netflix performance. Vizio has also indicated that this product is not compatible with Sceptre and Seiki TVs."

Last edited: Apr 2, 2013
  16. ChrisG8

Yes, Amazon has the Vizio Co-Star offered for sale with a $.48 discount off MSRP.

17. Scuzzo

Scuzzo Active Member

i guess i was mistaken... but come on,,, far as quality product goes in google tiv... this new breed, costar, pulse, that awfull asus qube, and that other one... cept for the sony, i think they make a good product the 7 as well as the GT1.. i think by cutting the price to 100 bucks these are fairly transitory.. corners cut on top of just horrid remote interface and butt awfull GIU experience... unless google gets some push behind a Google Backed box... not passed off to some other manufacture but something along the lines of a nexus 7 kinda model.. with strong processor and some decent development and not just a closed fork of android... i dont see google going forward in any sorta momentum... it will just stay an idea with little consumer adoption.. and making it cheaper is not really the answer.. because with any sorta remote interface... you want qualtiy and decent form factor.. you can really tell when corners are cut on a remote.. thats why the logitech is so good... its solid.. focused.,. well made keyboard... sony was kinda a mis step with the gt1 but its workable.. co star? not even going there.. i tried it... and that was more then enough.. the sony gt1 sold for 300 or so originally... and the fit and finish shows... the Revue... sold for 300 or so... it was never meant to sell at 100 bucks that was a fire sale.. but these new boxes are selling for 100 bucks,,, quality fit and finish suffer if you make an system to sell at 100 bucks then manufacture cost are 50 dollars? 30? there has to be some profit so.. who knows... but corners are cut materials are downgraded.. manufacture cost are sliced down... i just dont think you can get there for a hundred bucks... not with any real quality in the final product...

but yep... i was wrong... they still make a 99 buck google tv machine.... go get um... i think i will stick with sony..

18. Carlszone

Carlszone Well-Known Member

Aha!!!

I knew it wasn't user error! My Seiki TV synced w/every other device I tried. That dang Vizio tech wanted me to hunt down my manufacturer because the codes in my TV were supposedly put in backwards. LOL!

And all the other problems I had that they claimed were hardware issues they are now gonna fix w/a software update? Geeze, I kept saying I believed the so called hardware issues was being misdiagnosed. Wish they would have acknowledged this sooner. So all those returned boxes can be resold w/very little refurbishing. But what a waste. All the shipping back & forth of units. But I'm glad that Vizio finally owned up. Now maybe the other new devices will follow suite.

Thanks Cat...

Carl

19. CatfishRivers

I've noticed that currently Amazon has been out-of-stock for the Vizio Co-Star for a few weeks now (again). The Co-Star is currently available on Amazon only from third party sellers - and the lowest price is approximately $110 including shipping.

This is not helping the Co-Star sales figures at all.

When the Co-Star was first released it went to approx. #100 on the Amazon Electronics Bestsellers chart. Since then it began a gradual decline to #1000 - and then slipped another 500 notches to #1500 when the Chromecast was released. When Amazon went out-of-stock of Co-Stars it tanked further to #3560 (at the time of this post).

If Amazon gets the Co-Star back in stock for $99 with free shipping - IMO it would go back to somewhere between #1000 to #1500.

http://www.amazon.com/VIZIO-Co-Star-Stream-Player-Google/dp/B009IBX7Z2/ref=pd_rhf_dp_p_t_3_J1VV

Last edited: Aug 15, 2013
  20. ChrisG8

I don't find anything meaningful with Amazon's sales rankings. Here is the Co-Star at $75 plus shipping from a Marketplace seller, I have seen three or four different listings for the Co-Star, I don't think Amazon adds them up, instead each listing is treated as different products and the resulting sales rankings mean nothing in my opinion.

http://www.amazon.com/Vizio-Co-star...6591647&sr=1-2-catcorr&keywords=vizio+co-star