Quantcast

Smart TVs May Be Taking Off, But They're Still Not Smart Enough

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Discussion' started by CatfishRivers, Nov 28, 2012.

1. CatfishRivers

CatfishRivers Well-Known Member

Smart TVs may be taking off, but they're still not smart enough | ZDNet (click for full article)

Summary: Informa is predicting healthy sales of Smart TV sets, but they're still not smart enough, as Apple, Google and Microsoft eye the prospects of a joined-up market for "three screens and a cloud"...

By Jack Schofield for Jack's Blog | November 28, 2012 -- 19:01 GMT (11:01 PST)

"Apple, Google and Microsoft have all eyed the TV market, and some expect Apple to launch a TV set next year. However, the current Smart TV market doesn't look very smart, according to Informa Telecoms & Media's latest Smart TV forecasts. It seems a large proportion of Smart TVs are used as dumb TVs, and they go out of date too quickly to act as "digital hubs".

Informa thinks 54 million Smart TV sets will be sold world-wide in 2012, growing to more than 220 million units per year in 2017. By then, most homes in North America (63 percent) and Western Europe (64 percent) will have one, so it sounds like a healthy market. However, Informa senior analyst Andrew Ladbrook estimates that more than half of the 800 million Smart TV sets in use in 2017 will not be connected to the internet, and therefore not smart at all. He adds:

"Moreover, while any 'smart' TV bought in 2011 or 2012 can be used for streaming online video services for a few years, they lack the processing power and the necessary hardware to perform those smart TV functions that will be standard in 2015. Simply put, any smart TV purchased in 2012 will be effectively obsolete by 2015."

Part of the problem is that TVs have long lifecycles compared to smartphones, tablets, set-top boxes, media streamers and games consoles. These smart devices are often cheaper and they are much more frequently replaced."

Last edited: Nov 28, 2012
  2. ChrisG8

ChrisG8 Well-Known Member

I am not really following the obsolete by 2015 claim, I don't see must have features coming. I would think a smart TV right now capable of handling the 7 or 8 must have functions properly, Netflix, Amazon Instant Video, YouTube, Vudu, Hulu Plus, and web browsing with ability to stream video from accessible sites will still be a great product in 2015. Of course I can't think of any one device that does all of that other than a PC now. I can do everything I want with the equipment I have now and expect to be able to do the same with the same equipment in 2015. A TV with all of that isn't available now.

3. CatfishRivers

CatfishRivers Well-Known Member

My personal preference is to just buy a rather inexpensive smart TV set-box and connect it to a dumb TV. I think the thing that might become obsolete in a few years is the hardware (processor) that powers the smart TV functions (Google TV) - and not the actual TV itself. The technology for the Smart TV processors changes fast nowadays.

I guess it depends on what one considers "essential features". I agree that things like Netflix would probably still work in a few years - however as an example the first generation (and rather expensive) Sony Google TV televisions already will not be receiving GTV v3.0. That TV is what about 2 years old? Personally I don't consider voice control as essential - but if I had payed an expensive price for GTV built into a full television - I would of certainly hoped to receive "all" the updates beyond just 2 years time.

IMO it would be better to simply buy say a dumb TV for $200 to $300 (instead of say $600 to $800) - along with a $99 smart TV box. People that bought a Revue for only $99 and now want the voice control GTV update - only need to purchase a new GTV set-top box for $99 to $170. People that spent $800 on a first generation Sony television 2 years ago are kind of stuck now.

Last edited: Nov 29, 2012