Quantcast

Smart TV Manufacturers Subjected To 'Coercive Sales Tactics' By Google, Says ET News

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Discussion' started by CatfishRivers, Jul 1, 2013.

1. CatfishRivers

CatfishRivers Well-Known Member

Smart TV manufacturers subjected to 'coercive sales tactics' by Google, says ETNews (click for full article)

by Steve Dent - July 1, 2013

"Smart TV providers who wish to use HTML5 for their streaming ecosystems have been running into a wall with YouTube, according to Korea's ETNews. It said Google has insisted TV makers place the app on their systems' main page and pass a Smart TV "browser conformity test" at its US headquarters, too.

As a result, companies like Samsung have had to wait up to three months for YouTube certification. A key part of this allegation is that that TV makers who opted for Mountain View's Android-based Google TV instead of HTML5 wouldn't face such problems, but meanwhile, we've contacted Google for its take on the matter."

2. CatfishRivers

I can understand Google wanting to make sure that YouTube works well on Smart TVs - but giving Google TV preferential treatment is BS because YouTube on Google TV is currently a mess!

How ironic is that? -;) And for all the fan-boys that will now come on the thread and post how great YouTube is on GTV - I will post 2 links to support my claim that currently YouTube is a mess on GTV.

*1) The YouTube web site is currently broke with the GTV Chrome browser. Some of the links on YouTube will work - but if you spend a good 15 to 20 minutes on the YouTube site with the GTV browser you will continually trigger the "Aw Snap!" message when clicking links for videos, searching, etc. Here is the long thread documenting that this issue is valid:

http://www.googletvforum.org/forum/google-tv-major-issues/7971-can-t-access-youtube-via-google-chrome-anymore.html

*2) The GTV YouTube app is only rated 2.6 stars (out of a possible 5 stars) in the Google Play Store ratings. Now the current version 1.7.1 - was an "attempt" to fix version 1.7 that was a broken mess - HOWEVER if you read the recent reviews for the GTV YouTube app in the Google Play Store - version 1.7.1 STILL HAS MAJOR ISSUES! Check it out - here is the link to the app:

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.google.android.youtube.googletv&feature=search_result#?t=W251bGwsMSwxLDEsImNvbS5nb29nbGUuYW5kcm9pZC55b3V0dWJlLmdvb2dsZXR2Il0

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

* Note: Here (see below) are a few recent reviews (from the Google Play Store) of the current GTV YouTube app (version 1.7.1):

"sean mcguire - June 27, 2013 - Version 1.7.1
    garbage
    awful to use. google chrome has stopped working on GTV since the last update. i usually use that for youtube as the HD quality is far better than this neutered version. imagine my suprise so, that this works even less than it used to. connection between tv and mobile barely works.bit angry i have to even give a star to post this, even that is one too many!

Hazardous Hanniblex - June 30, 2013 - Version 1.7.1
    Is this finished?
    Google, please stop messing with us. You have the talent to make GTV buttery smooth. Test it before the update. Then give us a finished product. Stop taking baby steps.

MysteryGirl Smith - June 27, 2013 - Version 1.7.1
    What happeed?
    YouTube played through the Sony WiFi Blu~Ray player skips over most content in playlist, and without fail crashes anywhere from a minute in to 20 min or more. It's always a surprise on the YouTube roulette of crashes. YouTube app forces you to start with the first video on playlist, instead of choosing the one you wish;Any fixes in store? YouTube played through the Chrome browser has become a nightmare; Google, I KNOW you can do better than this. Fix it!"

Last edited: Jul 1, 2013
  3. CatfishRivers

Well, well, well. The editor of GTVSource is still running into problems with the recent GTV 1.7.1 YouTube app update:

YouTube for Google TV update 1.7.1 | GTVsource.com
    (click for full article)

by Edgar Cervantes - June 17, 2013

"YouTube for Google TV has just been updated to version 1.7.1. The update doesn't change much, but it brings some bug fixes people have been begging for. Improvements include bug fixes to the authentication and sidebar issues (problems collapsing).

** This is great and all, but after testing the update for a bit I am still running into some problems. My internet keeps disconnecting when I access YouTube on my ASUS CUBE. I get an error and a "retry" option. I can fix it by disconnecting and reconnecting to my WiFi network, but it is still quite the annoyance. **

** I have seen reports of other people running into similar issues (including the "fixed" authentication bug) **, so please hit us up in the comments to let us know how this update is treating you. Are you having the problems with YouTube for Google TV?"

4. ChrisG8

ChrisG8 Well-Known Member

I must have about 10 devices in house to access YouTube, the Google TV YouTube app is the only one I ever use, it is far and away the best for what I want from YouTube. Other than links to brief YouTube videos I see at various forums and sites I access, I don't use a browser for YouTube. I have refused to upgrade the YouTube app but will consider that once it is clear it is an improvement. Google needs standards for YouTube certification, some of the Blu-ray players i have don't do YouTube very well at all.

As far as complaints from manufacturers about having to wait an unreasonable amount of time, I will wait for evidence Google has done something wrong, I am unconvinced by what I just read.

5. CatfishRivers

I removed the current GTV YouTube app (version 1.7.1) from my Revue - and I'm using the original stock GTV YouTube app that GTV had at launch almost 3 years ago (version 1.1).

I hate the YouTube app because it doesn't allow me to select any videos from my playlist to play - it only plays my playlist in order starting with the first video in the playlist. Almosy "prehistoric" how bad the app is.

That's why I preferred the YouTube web site with GTV Chrome browser - until Google made a change to the YouTube web site and broke YouTube on the GTV browser. It's been broken for weeks now. Not a peep from Google about it. Nothing but the sound of crickets chirping -:(

6. CatfishRivers

Google Reportedly Being Crticized By Smart TV Manufacturers | Ubergizmo (click for full article)

by Adnan Farooqui - July 1, 2013

"Smart TVs are the norm these days, they let users browse the internet, install apps, make Skype calls and watch YouTube videos. These TVs often come with a YouTube app that offers them direct access to the video streaming service. Google has reportedly been employing "coercive sales tactics," which are being criticized by manufacturers of smart TVs. Many manufacturers opted for open-source HTML5 instead of Google TV as the platform for their products. These manufacturers are said to put their products through "browser conformity tests" at Google's U.S. HQ, they're also told to put the YouTube app on the main service page.

An ET News report claims that smart TV manufacturers are criticizing Google for violating their right of choice, an unnamed industry source cited is of the view that Google telling manufacturers where they should place the YouTube app is an act of coercive sales tactics. Google reportedly grants this browser conformity certification after several months, which means that manufacturers often have to deal with product launch delays. Samsung is said to have waited for up to three months. Such issues are not faced by those who opt for Google TV. Google hasn't issued an official response for these allegations."

7. Carlszone

Carlszone Well-Known Member

Oh wait, can I be the fanboi that jumps into this thread???

I hate youtube. It sucks!!!

That said, I also switched back to the older version of Youtube. But it won't last...

Someone once said, ya can't go back, well, it's true. The older version doesn't make me feel any better than the new one. Now that I know it is out there, I also am aware that it will be improved upon gradually and maybe scaled back until they get it where they really want it to be. No new version of anything ever meets the criteria of long term users. It just can't be done.

So, I'll wait out all the horrors of this new version...

Lol! Holy shi, er crap! I'm a Youtube fanboi!!!

Carl