Quantcast

SlingBox

Discussion in 'Google TV Hardware Discussion' started by mskks64, Jan 4, 2011.

1. mskks64

mskks64 New Member

I don't know much about Slingboxes. I was curious to know if it will work with a Sony google tv box? I like the looks of the pro but if only the pro-hd works thats fine.

2. gentlefury

gentlefury New Member

Overpriced, and they don't support their software. You can only watch on a firefox browser..and if you want to use it portably (which you would think is its purpose) it will cost you $60 per device!! Don't waste your money.

I just tossed my SlingBox for an EyeTV....much better quality and it has a guide on the iPad.

Only caveat for some is it is apple only....so Mac and iOS. But I have both so it doesn't bother me.

3. mskks64

mskks64 New Member

whatdo you mean they don't support their software? And I can watch it on my droid, that's why I was interested

4. gentlefury

gentlefury New Member

Yes you can watch it on your droid for $30!!

I mean they are horrible at supporting their products! They just recently completely stopped supporting an entire line that does nothing at all different from their new line! It took them almost a year to release an iPad app that is really just the Android app on a bigger screen...and of course they charged people that bought the horrible iPhone app...again! They are a terrible company and the product is sub-par at best.

5. mskks64

mskks64 New Member

Yeah, but I could get alot of use out of it. My dad hates not being able to watch the games because he isnt at home and with this he can.

6. rtalain

rtalain New Member

7. gentlefury

gentlefury New Member

There's another $30! So, think of it this way...you bought a slingbox and you had an iPod Touch...you paid $30 for the software to view it on the Touch...not too bad...tho it should be free, since you just spent $200 on a piece of hardware that doesn't include the software to use it. Then the droid version comes out...gotta have it on the phone....another $30....ok, this makes no sense...I already paid for the iPod Touch version....lame...but ok. Then you get an iPad and you install the iPhone version because it takes them a year to get around to releasing an iPad native app....you figure...well, I already bought the iPhone version...there is NO way they will be THAT greedy that you would have to pay again.....iPad app comes out....$30, no new features....now you're at $90 in buying the exact same software....uh oh! Google TV version came out....could be good for the bedroom.....now you have spent $120 on software for a $200 device!!! This is insane!! Oh yeah and the Google TV app will nto support HD playback....awesome.

I hate you Sling Media!!

8. alphawave7

alphawave7 Moderator Staff Member

Yeah..that does kinda suck. I got the very first Slingbox (early adopter yet again!) and I must say it was fun for a while, but seriously..most folks don't need to be watching tv constantly, when out and about. I have a few mp4 flicks on my Nexus One to watch when traveling/airport/hotel,etc...and that suffices. :)

9. waynew73

waynew73 New Member

When you travel for long periods of time and are in other countries then Slingbox is a great option. I too had the original, but then it died a few years later. It will be totally worth me getting the gtv version.

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy Tab

10. Rickaren

Rickaren New Member Staff Member

DISH Network Optimizes Remote Access App for Android Tablets

By Greg Robinson

01/10/2011

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    DISH Network subscribers using the popular Sling Adapter paired with a high defintiion DVR such as the ViP722 already know how powerful this combination can be. Add DISH Network's free Remote Access mobile app to the mix and you instantly gain access to your DVR recordings - plus the ability to schedule new recordings - wherever you may be. And now it's been optimized for Android tablets.

Although optimized versions of DISH's Remote Access mobile app have been available for Apple's iPhone, and just recently for the iPad as well, owners of Android tablets such as Samsung's Galaxy Tab have had to use the application in a less-than-ideal configuration with video that was intended for the smaller screens of Android-based smartphones.

That all changed last week at the Consumer Electronics Show with DISH Network's announcement that their Remote Access app has now been updated to support video optimization for higher resolution Android-based tablets.

[​IMG] Dish Remote Access gives you access to your Sling-enabled DVR wherever you are.

[​IMG] Samsung's Galaxy Tab, one of the many Android Tablets to benefit from Dish's Remote Access update.

"DISH Network is the only pay-TV provider to offer a true TV everywhere solution, and now we've optimized that experience for the larger screen size of the Android tablets," said DISH Network Chief Marketing Officer Ira Bahr. "Now Dish Network customers can enjoy their TV Everywhere experience on tablets like the Galaxy Tab, as well as the dozens of new Android-based tablet devices soon to be introduced."

In addition to TV viewing, the DISH Remote Access app gives DISH Network customers with compatible DVRs the ability to browse and search up to nine days of programming, schedule DVR recordings, manage conflicts, delete shows on multiple receivers, and effectively use their Android tablets as a fully-functioning DVR remote control.
    The DISH Remote Access app for Android tablets can be downloaded for free through the Android Market. DISH Remote Access is also available on compatible iPad, iPhone, iPod touch, Android mobile phones and Blackberry devices.

Additional news coming out of the DISH Network CES booth included word that DISH has now acquired the assets of Move Networks, a large-scale adaptive streaming leader. Also, Oprah fans will be pleased to learn that DISH has added the Oprah Winfrey Network (OWN) to the channel lineup. OWN can now be found on DISH channel 189.

Where to Buy:

SOURCE

11. galfert

galfert Active Member

Here is the Solution for cable subscribers (or if you don't have Dish with remote DVR software):

I don't think anyone has fully answered the original question as to if a Slingbox will work with Google TV.

This is a vague question. Because it could be refering to two possibilities.....

* If you are asking if you will be able to use Google TV to watch the input of a remotely located Slingbox the answer now is no. Not yet. But soon Slingmedia will release the Slingplayer application to run on Google TV.

* If you are asking how to in the same system physically connect a Slingbox and a Google TV device the answer here is that it will require some special and expensive hardware to make it work right at the best quality. The problem is that the optimal way to connect a Slingbox is to use component cable. It is not possible to use HDMI to connect directly into a Slingbox. Even the old Slingbox Pro which seems like it had an HDMI input port is not really an HDMI port as it is only to be used with a proprietary HD input adapter from Slingmedia that accepts component cables. Knowing that you can only connect Google TV using HDMI, which causes your cable box to shutdown the output to component means that if you hook up a Google TV device you are left with no way to give input to your Slingbox from your cable box (unless you are happy with feeding the Slingbox the S-Video or composite input which may work but will look like crap). The reason the component output of the cable box shuts down is because most cable boxes seem to be configured this way for some reason I totally don't understand...perhaps is has to do with HDMI HDCP compliance. The solution is to get an expensive adapter called the HDFury3 (~$230). You get 1080i to your TV (sorry no 1080p with component). It looks awesome and it works. This HDFury3 proficietly converts an HDMI signal to component even if HDCP is being used. So your new setup looks like this: Cable BOX --> Google TV --> HDFury3 --> Slingbox --> TV. The only thing is that if you leave your Google TV without the TV passthrough turn on (TV app running full screen in Google TV), then when you connect to your slingbox you will not be able to control the Google TV to put it in TV passthrough. You could create a custom Slingbox Player Remote for Google TV but that is not a simple task.
    There are other device out there that may seem to do a HDMI to Component conversion but the will fall short of what the HDFury3 accomplishes. I haven't found a true competitor to what an HDFury3 does.

* Another option is to connect the Slingbox to a secondary cable box in your home. But then you will not be able to watch the recorded DVR content on the primary DVR that is connected to the Google TV......unless your cable provider gives you access to in house DVR from another DVR, a function that will soon be available from several cable companies this year. So this is a solution that is cheap* if you already have a second cable box but it isn't available yet as a full solution until the cable companies offer this remote DVR access.

* EDIT: Cable companies started offering Whole House DVR but they aren't offering it for free. So it isn't a cheap solution as I originally thought.

Last edited: Feb 25, 2011