Quantcast

Sleep Timer and Shortcut Keys?

Discussion in 'Sony Internet TV' started by eappell, Nov 4, 2011.

1. eappell

eappell New Member

I've had my Sony TV for just about a month, so still learning the functions & features. This TV is in our bedroom, and one of the main features I need to use every single night is sleep timer. This feature is buried deep in the menus, so when I first got the TV I found a little "create shortcut" function that allowed me to setup a shortcut combination to bring up the sleep timer. Still not ideal (I'd really prefer to set the sleep timer using a key on my Harmony 650 remote, but I found that you can't add anything to the Harmony for this TV because of the bluetooth remote), but I could live with it. Yesterday I upgraded to the new Google TV, and I can no longer find the create shortcut function. Does anyone know where it went? My shortcut no longer works, so I'm back to navigating through the menus to set the sleep timer...

I guess my main question is, is there a better way to deal with the sleep timer feature so that it's more accessible? And if not, where did the create shortcut function go to?

Thanks for the help, I'm really glad this forum is here or I'd be lost!
    Eddie

2. nemesiz

nemesiz New Member

Also, is there any way to close Tabs with a single click instead of using options->Windows->close the tab?

3. eappell

eappell New Member

Is there some comprehensive documentation somewhere so we can figure out these functions in the new release?

4. eferz

eferz Well-Known Member

Not really. Just about every operating system depends on its "intuitiveness" because its an ever evolving UI and customization. I can already see that some of my "How to" post are obsolete because some options have been moved to different menus or are no longer even supported.

Not even Windows comes with documentation and that been on the market for quite some time. Maybe someone will take the time to open up a wiki, so that the community can contribute and maintain a living document to help new people use their respective Google TV device as it evolves over time.

5. eappell

eappell New Member

Fair enough - are there any forums that Google TV developers frequent where we could get answers to where they moved certain features in the new OS? There must be some way to find out where this stuff went, other than guessing, right?

6. eferz

eferz Well-Known Member

This is a good place to ask.

7. eappell

eappell New Member

Ok, so still no answer... I'm a developer and would be happy to take a shot at creating a little android app to set the sleep timer, if it's possible with the SDK. Anyone know fi it's even possible? I still can't believe that setting the sleep timer requires like 8 key combinations. Should be much easier for such a basic function on such an advanced TV...

8. Cableguy

Cableguy New Member

All you have to do is hit the search key and type sleep and it comes right up

9. eferz

eferz Well-Known Member

Also, you can replace one of the apps on the Home bar with the timer app.

10. Cunningham1420

Cunningham1420 New Member

Open ur home sreen, once open press down on your right directional key pad (the one arond your optical mouse), after you press the down key/direction a menu should come up that says customize home menu, select that. After that select a app from your home screen that you dont use that much, once selected another menu should come up that says: move/replace/remove. Select replace, once you select that you should get taken into your all apps page, scroll down to your timer app & click on it and it should replace the app on your home screen with your timer app