Quantcast

“Skype for Google TV” ?

Discussion in 'More News from Your Google TV News Team' started by Rickaren, Feb 9, 2011.

1. Rickaren

Rickaren New Member Staff Member

Place calls to a TV with Skype for iPhone

[​IMG]
    Joshua Schnell

Wed, Feb 9, 2011

[​IMG]
    A Skype update for the iPhone from back in December added functionality to let users place a call to “Skype for TV.” I’m not sure how those in the Apple News beat, us included, missed that one. The idea of placing a call to a Google TV or other camera enabled television is something that’s interesting and bizarre at the same time.

The concept of taking a call from your living room while you’re sitting on the couch has been around for awhile, but hasn’t come to fruition. The question for most is whether or not we want or actually need a webcam attached to our televisions moving forward.

With the Google TV, Apple TV, and rumored Apple Television all making waves for putting computers in the living room, the likelihood of seeing Skype for TV in the near future is pretty high.

But do you really want to take video calls all day long instead of normal phone calls? I’m not sure I do, and I’m not sure that putting video chat on my television is all that appealing. But Skype clearly thinks that placing calls to televisions from mobile devices is an important part of our future.

Article Via The Next Web

2. lucas710

lucas710 New Member

Camby IN---------------------------Sony 40" GTV
    I can see one way this will be cool, let's say you have a friend/family in another state and you want to watch a TV show/movie together but can't be in the same house to do that. Using a web cam you can see them in the bottom corner of your TV and laugh together then on a commercial talk about what you just saw, or watching a movie on cable you can jump at a scary scene together. Then go online and play a game together and on and on, there are a lot of ways video calls can make long distance feel like right around the corner.

Maybe it's just me but I think this might be something great.