Quantcast

Simple 5.1 receiver for use with Sony GTV

Discussion in 'Google TV General Discussion' started by TomArt14, Jan 6, 2013.

1. TomArt14

TomArt14 New Member

I've been using the Sony NSZ-GS7 with a pair of stereo computer speakers - watching Netflix and pulling movies from a hard drive.

Recently we watched a movie that only had 5.1 sound and we could barely hear what was being said.

My GTV is connected to the speakers via a cheap little digital-audio converter, so that could be part of the problem right there, but perhaps it is time for me to get a proper 5.1 system.

But all the Home Theatre systems are big, complicated things - I don't need any of that.

All I need is 1 HDMI or optical input, an AMP, and an IR input so I can control the volume from the Sony remote. Any suggestions?

Also, are there any special considerations when picking a home theatre system for use with the Sony GTV?

2. TomArt14

TomArt14 New Member

Okay, I think I've figured out the answer.

I was excluding soundbars because I'd heard that they are crappy. But they are suited to my requirements (simplicity) and will be a big step up relative to what I'm currently using even if they are crappy compared to a full surround sound system. Most importantly, they will save me a bunch. So soundbar it is.

Regarding the Sony GTV in particular, I see that the specs say that the optical output supports "Dolby Digital bit-stream out", and I assume this means that it leaves the decoding for the receiver/soundbar to do.

So, if the soundbar has optical input then I will need it to support the various Dolby formats I need. If the soundbar has HDMI there are more output options (including 'bit-stream') so I would have more flexibility.

I don't see DTS listed amongst the output options (and I believe it is not a variant of Dolby) so I guess DTS is simply not going to be supported.