Quantcast

Silverlight Player

Discussion in 'Google TV Feature Wish Lists' started by mjvdv, Aug 21, 2011.

1. mjvdv

mjvdv New Member

I just purchased the new Logitech Revue. I used to have a boxee.

I bought the Revue because it came with Google tv and I thought that this would make it so it's able to watch more video than the boxee is able to. I bought them both so I can watch news programs from Europe as that's where I'm from.

I'm actually quite shocked that there isn't a Silverlight app or plug in to install. I mean this is google for crying out loud, not some low budget start up. Very disappointing to say the least.

There is a plug in called Moonlight but that won't install for some reason. Also, I read that Skyfire might be able to play these things but I'm not sure as I'm a bit of a tech-tard.

So, seriously google, get on it. There is no reason why this shouldn't have been taken care of long ago.

2. eferz

eferz Well-Known Member

Silverlight remains the intellectual property of Microsoft. Google would not have the onus nor the right to be able port Silverlight to Android much less Google TV. Microsoft didn't even port it to Linux. Instead they worked with Novell to port an open-source implementation called Moonlight for Linux and Unix/X11 based operating systems.

I doubt that Microsoft has any initiative or incentive to port it to any other "mobile" platform other than Windows Mobile. Right now, Silverlight remains as a key distinction against Android and iOS devices. It is more likely that Moonlight will be ported by Novell before Microsoft even entertains the idea.

3. mjvdv

mjvdv New Member

Thanks for the quick response eferz.

I had a look at the Moonlight site and it looks pretty quiet there. The forums had stuff but very little on the Moonlight itself with quite a bit more going on in other sections. One of the posts in the moonlight section asked if they were even working on it still because the roadmap laid out for the software was last updated in June 2010. Just a little dated. So to me this doesn't seem promising.

Also, having these camps where they don't play nice only annoys the hell out of the consumer. Find someone that can fix it and pay them to do so. It's not like Google can't afford it. NET income for them last year was $2.5 billion!

Anybody have an idea about the Skyfire player I had mentioned earlier? Do you think this would be something we could install on google tv to play silverlight?

4. eferz

eferz Well-Known Member

The problem is that they can't just hire anyone to do it. They couldn't even hire Novell to complete the Moonlite package for Android. Not only would it be a conflict of interest but but they would be infringing on the arrangements made with Microsoft. Microsoft could then take both Google and Novell to court for Silverlight patent infringement.

The only way for Google to throw their money around would be to contract Microsoft to develop Silverlight for Android, or through merger or acquisition of Microsoft. I just don't see either of that happening, especially since Google has already partnered with Adobe. It wouldn't make sense to support a divergent platform away from Adobe's Flash. Its a seasoned application development platform which has been rolled out on many more systems than Silverlight. That would be analogous to Apple giving up on HTML5 and adopting Flash into their iOS platform.

Skyfire Labs uses transcoding servers in the backend to provide access to platforms which don't have native support. They do this by pattern matching the website's code for Flash video instances, the flash video can then be transcoded into a format native to your device's media player. It's only currently compatible for Flash videos through their iOS and Android webkit applications.

Three years ago, they did offer Silverlight transcoding for their Microsoft Mobile browser; however, that was prior to Microsoft integrating Silverlight into their mobile platform. The product has been discontinued ever since. They could include Silverlight transcoding into their current packages; however, again... they would need Microsoft's approval in order to do so.

The Silverlight platform isn't all that great anyways, most websites uses it to provide secure delivery of their DRM protected content. Netflix is a key example of this synergy for their PC and MAC browser clients. However, they've also created platform specific applications to provide the same level of security through individual device's own Application Programming Interface (API).

Perhaps instead of waiting for someone to provide Silverlight for Android, you can contact the individual websites to provide an alternate means for content delivery. Some websites understand these divergent technologies and have offered seamless platform tailored content delivery. So, its not out of the realm of possibilities if a website owner acknowledges their audience's needs for alternatives.

Last edited: Aug 22, 2011
  5. mjvdv

mjvdv New Member

Thanks so much for your input eferz. I very much appreciate you taking the time to answer my noobish questions. You obviously know what's going on with this stuff.

I did go to the silverlight site and request that they allow their software to be able to be played on devices such as google tv.

I will also try contacting these site individually and who knows?

Thanks again.

6. sarreq

sarreq Member

don't worry for too long, silverlight is losing microsoft's confidence as well. those silverlight sites you're having trouble with probably won't be silverlight for much longer

Last edited: Aug 23, 2011
  7. mjvdv

mjvdv New Member

I went to the main site that has the vids. It's in Dutch (I don't read it, doing this for my girlfriend who's dutch)and I was only looking at it on Googletv. I checked it out on my computer and it was translated. There is an option to watch the videos in Flash or silverlight so problem solved for that one.

I can see these other sites not hanging on too long either unless they get their act in gear.

Thanks again guys.

8. printer

printer New Member

Hi everyone,
    This was an interesting thread, as I just got an sony nsx-40gt1 and tried to watch Sunday Night Football live. Alas it streams via Silverlight. I guess I'll email NBC and hope they offer a compatible streaming alternative for us who have Google TV. I can hook up my laptop to the Sony and watch it that way, but kind of defeats the purpose.

If anyone else has a way to watch Sunday Night Football I'd love to hear about it.

How does Netflix work on this set? Isn't it streamed by Silverlight? Maybe the app allows it to work? Just guessing though, I'm not nearly as eferz! :)

Thanks,

9. eferz

eferz Well-Known Member

You can use a transcoding server on your PC to relay most inaccessible content to Google TV, like PlayOn or Tversity Pro. If not then you'll need to contact the content distributor to find out if they have alternate streaming options.

Netflix supports Silverlight Streaming for their PC clients. However, they also provide alternative access to different devices using native applications. The x86 Android client for Netflix allows the Revue to stream from movies from them.

10. CatfishRivers

CatfishRivers Well-Known Member

Comcast is using Silverlight for a good many of the video-on-demand from their Xfinity TV website. How convenient for Comcast to use technologies not supported by GTV. Yet publicly they claim they are doing nothing to "block" GTV. Ha!

11. barsad

barsad New Member

I'm as frustrated as everyone else on this thread with Microsoft's intransigence... It's 18 months since they released the last version, and they clearly do not care about GTV users who are blocked from content just because they view Google as an arch nemesis.
    I only found out about this problem when I figured out that NBC Sports' Web-based streaming of the Tour de France requires Silverlight. My Sony NSZ-GS7 is great for everything but has no way of viewing Silverlight video (Skyfire does not work, I tried after side loading it. I guess my greatest disappointment is in the GTV hacker community. Most of the time the techno-nerds are so good at getting around corporate titans like Microsoft, but in this case they've failed to get through the proprietary fence.
    We should also fault large media companies for continuing to use a technology that is so clearly obsolete and inaccessible. Even Netflix decided to drop Silverlight as its player and is opting for open source HTML5 elements. When large companies control markets, consumers get hurt, and this is a prime example.

Thanks,
    JG

12. Carlszone

Carlszone Well-Known Member

Silverlight will go the way of Realplayer, Quicktime and many of the other players. Microsoft continued to state that Silverlight was compatible w/tablets and other small client devices. But I've seen no proof of this assertion.

Good riddance!!!

Carl

13. CatfishRivers

CatfishRivers Well-Known Member

Last edited: Jul 8, 2013