Quantcast

Discussion in 'Google TV General Discussion' started by Bluen25, Oct 6, 2010.

1. Bluen25

Bluen25 Member

Dish network has a signup sheet for the Logitech Revue. It will cost a subsidized $179 with an additional $4/Month.

GoogleTV - DISH Network

The Revue is scheduled to ship by the end of Oct.

2. JohnDroid

JohnDroid Administrator Staff Member

Damn, more breaking news Blue! Blue, your my boy Blue!

3. JohnDroid

4. Bluen25

Bluen25 Member

Thanks John, I have been waiting for these details a long time. The Dish VP also stated that the Revue will connect to Dish dvrs via HDMI only. No need for an IR blaster! He also confirmed that Sling in the Dish VIP922 will be compatible.

5. JohnDroid

I don't think the HDMI connection can carry channel change signals, etc... so it still seems to me that you'd need the IR blaster?

6. Bluen25

Bluen25 Member

According to the Dish VP during the Press Conference the Revue uses HDMI 1.3A and does not need a IR device with Dish DVRs.

7. JohnDroid

Interesting, I'll have to see this in action.

8. Darkseider

Darkseider New Member

Just got off the phone, cancelling my FiOS TV service and signed up with Dish Network with all the goodness for $69/mo and just signed up for the Logitech Revue on the site a couple minutes after I received my confirmation email. WOOT!!! I can't wait!!!! YEEEHAAA!!!!!

9. JohnDroid

Sweet, a new customer conquest for Dish and Google TV already. Let us know as soon as you get more info on installation date, etc.

10. Bluen25

Bluen25 Member

Congratulations on getting the Dish and signing up for the Revue! I made the switch from Comcast/Tivo about a month ago and have been very happy so far. Google TV and its integration into the DishDVR was one of my major pluses when I made that decision. When the installer comes to your house be very clear with him where you want the dish and how you want the cables run. I told my installer where to put the dish, but not how to run the cables. He ended up running the cables down the center of the side of my house. There are about six coax cables coming from the dish and they are black. Against a tan house they really stood out. I ended up making him reroute the cables to my liking then I painted them the color of my house. Hope this helps. If you need any help or have any questions sent me a message.

11. Darkseider

Darkseider New Member

The Dish Network stuff is being installed this Sunday. I am now eagerly awaiting an email saying the Revue is shipping. That same day my checking account will be $179.99 lighter.

12. outbackpaul

outbackpaul New Member

I only see a place to submit your name and email address. Is that what you did?

13. faganm24

faganm24 New Member

So did they tell you about/confirm the $4 integration fee for the Google TV, and what exactly that includes. I read in another thread here that it is an optional fee. My question is what happens when you don't pay the fee, what do you lose?

14. HamDog

HamDog Member

Damn it! This month marks my 2 year anniversary with DirecTV. What this means that I have just ended my 2-year contract obligations. Now I have to get into another 2 year contract with Dish? Damn! I hate long contract terms. I've been dating my girlfriend for 14 years and I still don't commit, so she gets jealous when she sees me signing into long relationships with Verizon, DirecTv, etc. ;) So how am I gonna explain this new relationship to her?

Ok, I'm gonna wait this one out a bit. And I'm wondering why $4/month extra? With a 2-year commitmnet, that amounts to close to $100! Isn't that roughly the discount they're giving initially (the subsidized price)?

And I'm wondering about the "no need for ir blaster" as well. I wanna see some reviews first. Will I get the same experience if I add GTV to my DirecTV box and add an IR blaster?

Still too many questions to jump into things.

15. alphawave7

alphawave7 Moderator Staff Member

Like you, I'm still unconvinced it's much of an upgrade for me at this point. It seems much more integrated into existing service providers (cable/sat,etc.) than I expected, and this $4 Integration Fee sounds confounding. I would love the net on my tv, but there are far cheaper options for that than this...XBOX perhaps has nothing to worry about on GoogleTV..at least so far. Someone convince me otherwise, please! :)

16. outbackpaul

outbackpaul New Member

I called Dish and you can stop paying the $4 integration fee at any time.

17. networkbuilder

networkbuilder Member

I feel ya Ham..... we got rid of Dish's crap service over 5 years ago!! I refuse to do business with Dishnetwork, besides...We only pay $35.00 a month and we get HBO, Showtime, Cinemax, Encore, etc. and also the Versus package. I'm really hoping that the logitech device will work fine with our Direct DVR......

18. Bluen25

Bluen25 Member

According to the Dish VP, The Revue doesn't need an IR Blaster. They have been working with Logitech and developed a way to send signals from the Revue to the Dish DVR via HDMI 1.3a. Beyond that the big difference between Dish and everyone else is the ability to access recording options. Basically, on Dish you can tell your DVR to Record a show through the Revue. You can't do this on any other provider. They also said that this is not an exclusive deal and that there is nothing stopping other content providers from offering the same service. They just have to take the time to develop the connection between their box and the Revue/Google TV.

As for the $4/Month. Dish is offering the Revue for $179 plus the $4/Month to is subscribers as a way to get the review cheaper than you can get it in stores. They will require that you keep the $4 charge for a two year period. After the two years you can drop th charge. Your total cost comes out to be $275 after two years. Dish will only let you purchase one Revue this way. If you purchase a Revue at another retailer you wont have the $4/Month charge. But it will cost you $299 instead of $275.

19. PhatboyC

PhatboyC Member

I don't think this is totally true. I read that they have IR repeaters embedded in the corners of the Revue box. During the setup of the Revue you specify what you have connected brand/model and want to control.

20. faganm24

faganm24 New Member

So do you lose the dvr functionality when you stop paying the fee? Because if not i'd stop paying right away. Someone else thought it was a subsidy, which would go against this. Would you get dvr functionality back after 2 years.