Quantcast

Sideload apps

Discussion in 'Sony's NSZ-GS8 / NSZ-GS7' started by baha2012, Mar 24, 2013.

1. baha2012

baha2012 New Member

Could someone please post me a guide on how to sideload apps on this device please

2. CatfishRivers

CatfishRivers Well-Known Member

3. jonw747

jonw747 Well-Known Member

The easiest way on the GS7 is going to a link for a sideload app on the web and click it. My favorite method is to download it to a PC, then run it using the ES File Explorer using a network share; but you could also use a thumb drive. You do need to enable the option to allow non-market apps to be installed ...

4. jschall

jschall Member

Just a couple of problems with that guide:
    1 - the old Dropbox apk on Mediafire doesn't exist anymore
    2- the new Dropbox apk on their website will install on the GS7, but the new app force closes -will not run.

So, if you want to use Dropbox to store apks for sideloading, use the browser version to download them to your GS7.

5. dman351

dman351 New Member

Use the Box app apk, works fine for sideloading app. Same as Dropbox but no issues so far !!

• Like Like x 4
  6. jschall

jschall Member

Thanks, @dman351. I had to use Dropbox's web interface to download box.apk, but it installed perfectly on my GS7. Too bad the Dropbox app won't install - I've got a lot of stuff on Dropbox.

• Like Like x 2
  7. CatfishRivers

CatfishRivers Well-Known Member

A few things I wanted to mention:

1) You can copy an APK on your mobile phone and then email it to your Gmail. Then open up the email with your GTV and just click the link (from within your email) to download the file. The APK will then download to your GTV device. You can then install it with ES File Explorer.

2) The following link contains a web site with a Dropbox APK that works with my Logitech Revue. I simply click the link on this web page to download the Dropbox file to my Revue - and then I install it with ES File Explorer:

Dropbox APK | FREE APK Downloads

3) You can also use Google Drive instead of Dropbox. There is a web version here:

https://drive.google.com/start

or you can download a Google Drive APK by searching for one on the internet. I'll post one shortly:

The following web page contains a Google Drive APK that works with my Logitech Revue. I downloaded it directly from the supplied download link on their web page - and then installed it with ES File Explorer. Works good (no force closes).

http://android.sc/download-google-drive-apk/

Last edited: Mar 27, 2013
    • Like Like x 2
  8. gullit

gullit New Member

Hello,

I have a NSZ-GS7 and have never side loaded an apk before and I want to do that if it is still possible with the device. I'm looking to side load the Mobdro app, I went to their site using Chrome on the NSZ-GS7 and downloaded it on the NSZ-GS7.

I opened ES File Explorer and click on the apk and it's telling me "There is a problem parsing the package".

Am I doing something wrong here?

Thank you

Last edited: Nov 7, 2015
  9. ChrisG8

ChrisG8 Well-Known Member

I see that error with some apks, the app is not compatible, no fix when it happens as far as I know. When an app can be side loaded and is compatible with Google TV you won't get that message, you will get a choice to use one of two methods, I always choose Package Installer.

10. jschall

jschall Member

@gullit: Congratulations on being one of the few diehards still using their Google TV. Mine has long been replaced by an Android TV streamer, but I still miss that old HDMI pass-through my GTV had...

As for Mobdro, and so many other Android apps, it's just not compatible with the Google TV operating system.

From the Mobdro FAQ:
    "What is the "Parse Error" message?

Parse error happens when the android version on the device is lower than the android version Mobdro was compiled for. Android 4.1 or newer is required."

Maybe you should consider Android TV sometime soon.

Last edited: Nov 8, 2015
  11. gullit

gullit New Member

Thanks for letting me know guys.