Quantcast

Shutting Down or Turning Off Sony NSZ-GT1 Questions?

Discussion in 'Sony Blu-Ray Set Top Box' started by popeye123, Nov 29, 2011.

1. popeye123

popeye123 New Member

Questions about shutting off NSZ-GT1?
    Is it a good idea to shut off the Sony when not using?
    There is a button on remote to shut off-turns on/off button red.

Also looked at settings for auto shut off.
    Saw one setting where you have the option for power saving option and also there auto shut off.
    I hit option for quick start and auto off after 2 hours of non use. I noticed in the AM the button stayed green.
    I also saw another auto shut off under HDMI setting somewhere-it said auto off. I left that alone.

So if I should shut down and I have connected HDMI-how should I set auto shut down?
    Am I better off turning off from remote?
    Does the Red light go on after auto shut off?

Advice appreciated, thanks.

• Like Like x 2
  2. eferz

eferz Well-Known Member

Honestly, that entire thing is up to you. As long as it is a clean shutdown then you don't have to worry about technological reasons for turning off. In most cases, by leaving it on its comes to about $1 a month to keep it powered. Of course, that varies upon your Kilowatt hourly rates charged by your local utilities company.

• Like Like x 2
  3. popeye123

popeye123 New Member

Tried to get back to set all om. I forgot how to get to the settings for auto off/on?

What is a "clean" shutdown?
    Thanks.

4. eferz

eferz Well-Known Member

A clean shutdown is when the operating system initiates a power off sequence. A "dirty" shutdown would be you pulling the power from the electrical socket.

5. popeye123

popeye123 New Member

Thanks.
    Could you direct me to those settings for fast shutdown and auto off/on?

6. eferz

eferz Well-Known Member

There is no "fast shutdown" setting. Only whether or not you want power off the entire Google TV platform or leave it on. That setting is GTV Setting > TV settings > Eco > Quick start. Setting it to Enable keeps the Google TV platform on while Disable allow it to shut down.

7. tskitishvili

tskitishvili New Member

My setup allows quick start as described in previous post by eferz. So I figured that I could also turn it on/off using my regular TV/DVR remote. For that I set the HDMI option to "auto off" when TV turns off. However it only allows to turn it off with TV/DVR remove, but it does not let me turn it back on.

Does anyone know how to make it work (turning it on over HDMI handshaking) ?

8. eferz

eferz Well-Known Member

It only works if the respective HDMI device is HDMI-CEC (Consumer Electronic Control) compatible. Go into GTV Settings > Video input > HDMI settings > Device List > Enable this will show you all the connected HDMI-CEC devices which are compatible for that feature. Once you've enabled it then you appropriately set the other options on the same screen Control for HDMI, Device auto power off, and TV auto power on. Then you have to make sure that the GTV Settings > Video input > Configured Devices > Edit Configured Devices > Make default TV device.

9. CircusDad

CircusDad New Member

FYI if you didn't know. Hitting "CNTL-ALT-DEL" at the same time does a reboot. I don't know if it's needed or not but when I am done with the TV will sometimes hit that sequence before Turing off the TV (I have to turn the TV off by hand in that instance because the Sony is rebooting but I don't really care because I was getting up anyway). I do this because it seems with any operating system it is a good idea to give a fresh start every once and a while.

Also an FYI - the re-boot really doesn't take all that long so if I ever do have an issue (and I do have sound issues from time to time) I can hit CNTL-ALT-DEL and be back up and running in no time (it does not impact the DVR running in the background so you don't loose your show).

10. tskitishvili

tskitishvili New Member

My system was upgraded to 3.1 and the menu looks a bit different. For example GTV Settings > Video input contains the list of connected devices. In my case it is just Direct TV. The HDMI settings are located under GTV Settings > Disc Player Settings > HDMI Settings, which contains just two items: Control for HDMI and Device auto power off. I cannot find TV auto power on, however I have no issues powering my Samsung TV when I use GTV Remote. My goal was to use DirectTV remote (which turns on both my DVR and TV) to turn on GTV. My expectation was that powering up HDMI-CEC compatible TV would force GTV to turn on.

It seems to me that the best solution is to keep GTV always on.

11. eferz

eferz Well-Known Member

Ah, I see what you mean. My apologies for listing those settings, they are actually from the Honeycomb update however are for the Sony Google TV televisions. You see, "TV power on" is not something that is that is supported by HDMI set-top boxes. It's only an option for the HDMI-CEC compatible televisions and projectors. If your Samsung TV is HDMI-CEC compatible (I think they call it AnyNet) then the option will be available in your television's menus.