Quantcast

Showtime Anytime App Comes To Roku's Set-Top Boxes

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Discussion' started by CatfishRivers, Feb 18, 2014.

1. CatfishRivers

CatfishRivers Well-Known Member

Showtime Anytime app comes to Roku's set-top boxes | The Verge (click for full article)

by Chris Welch - Feb. 18, 2014

-- Showtime Anytime is now available on Roku set-top boxes. The video-on-demand app gives current cable subscribers access to Showtime's lineup of original shows (both past and present), documentaries, sports specials, and other content.

Using the Showtime Anytime app on Roku is free, but since this is standard TV Everywhere fare, you won't be able to stream anything unless you're a customer of AT&T U-verse, Brighthouse, Cablevision, DirecTV, Grande Communications, Time Warner Cable, or Verizon FiOS. (If it wasn't obvious, you also need to subscribe to Showtime as part of your cable package.) Comcast is notably absent from that list, and it's not the first time: HBO Go on Roku also excludes Comcast from its list of supported providers.

See more at: http://www.theverge.com/2014/2/18/5423446/showtime-anytime-now-available-for-roku

Last edited: Feb 18, 2014
  2. ChrisG8

ChrisG8 Well-Known Member

I don't know why Comcast excludes Roku for some of these on demand services but I found out first hand it does exclude HBOGo. If the Comcast acquisition of Time Warner Cable goes through, something will have to change in that regard and I would not expect TWC to drop those services, instead add them to all Comcast markets.

3. revue5

revue5 Well-Known Member

Wishful thinking. would Comcast also drop the cap to match TWC?

4. ChrisG8

There is no cap in my market with Comcast and most Comcast markets but I expect fees for usage over some level, maybe 280GB or so, with all providers in all markets at some future date. When we had AT&T U-verse there was no cap but I never used over 150GB with that service, now I use around 320GB with Comcast Xfinity since we subscribe to Netflix and use SuperHD. Comcast may be using caps in some markets now to try to come up with a plan.

5. revue5

revue5 Well-Known Member

Good to know Comcast imposes no cap in your area :) especially now with all the new premium apps (e.g., ShowtimeAnytime, HBO GO, ..etc). wondering if future cap will exclude them?

6. ChrisG8

The HBOGo service is my favorite internet streaming service but I don't think it uses anywhere near the bandwidth of Netflix, the bitrates are much lower. That could sure change in the future, Netflix used to use bitrates a small fraction of the 5800kbps of the Super HD streaming now available. If my service does start a data cap, I will have to steam lower quality Netflix. None of the other services I use come close to Vudu HDX bitrates, which can hit 9Mbps but I typically only play a few movies from that site each month.

Last edited: Feb 19, 2014
  7. Carlszone

Carlszone Well-Known Member

HBO Go, Showtime and MAX Go, have allied themselves w/cable excusive contracts. They WILL feel the burn!

How long this can go on is anyone's guess...

Carl

8. ChrisG8

When it is in their best interest to offer their content as a separate internet streaming package, that is when it will happen. As a cord cutter, I will subscribe to either HBOGo or Showtime Anytime if that happens but I understand that as things are now, aligning with the cable companies generates the most profit so that is how it's going to be.

• Like Like x 2
  9. pmcd

pmcd Active Member

What's the point in having streaming on the Roku or ATV or anything really that is fixed if you have to already be a cable subscriber? I think this sort of policy shows why it would be preferable to have the content providers and network access equipment separated. Hopefully Google continues to expand its Internet access. Other companies, such as Apple and Microsoft, should really get into the network access business. Unfortunately they both seem to be caving into the cable companies and typing certain services to having a cable subscription. It's very disappointing.

Philip

Sent from my GT-N5110

10. pmcd

pmcd Active Member

The whole cap nonsense is just crazy as if it is even possible to measure the cost per gigabit of data transmitted. They are just trying to emulate the cash cow that cell phone companies have with data plans, roaming, etc...

The irony is they increase the bandwidth while keeping either informal or formal caps in place.

There are people who feel you can measure pretty well anything and assign a cost to it. It's all smoke and mirrors and variables chosen to optimize returns. In the end you have a bunch of people playing monopoly but feeling they really are producing something. Heck a burger flipper is producing more than 70% of the Excel number crunching around the country.

Philip

Sent from my GT-N5110

11. ChrisG8

I disagree with this. Bandwidth available from each ISP is not infinite and there must be some way to charge low data users less money than high data users, I see that as fair. I don't know what will happen but a solution should be possible. The Google Fiber pricing plan seems fair to me, I hope Google can make a fair profit and we will see Googe Fiber in more markets. So far, I have never had to pay a price I consider too high for internet service, every market I have lived in, Dallas, rural SW MO, and here in Little Rock have had a plan I consider fair for my needs. I have had to switch ISPs a few times to get an acceptable plan after price increases but fortunately there has always been at least one company with a deal I think is fair. My ISPs have even included some of the providers so many complain about, Comcast and AT&T.

Of course for profit companies with huge investments, huge overhead, and big tax bills must try to optimize profits but competition and government regulations guarantees profits can't be excessive. I prefer a minimum of government regulation personally.

12. revue5

revue5 Well-Known Member

HBO/Go bitrate between 500kbps ~ 1900kbps (1.9Mbps) for SD titles and Showtime/anytime bitrate between 300kbps ~ 2000kbps (2.0Mbps) for SD titles.
    So, for HD titles, they probably stream at about 2500kbps (2.5Mbps).

13. revue5

revue5 Well-Known Member

The cap is not everywhere yet, but IMO, the cap is not designed for extra revenue by measuring data use, but rather to split the data use by controlling data delivered though “public internet” and allowing other data (e.g., streaming services) to be delivered though existing “private cable IP network” free of cap.

i.e., streaming services like Netflix, Amazon vod/prime, Hulu, Vudu, HBOGo, MaxGo, Showtime/anytime, ..etc. are delivered though “public internet”. High bitrate (e.g., SuperHD, HDX, 1080p) HD video streaming can range from 3.8/5.8Mbps to 9.0Mbps and that count toward data cap. (not to mention future 4K video)
    While streaming services like Xfinity /On-Demand services delivered though existing “private cable IP network” do not count toward data cap. Though TV service subscription is required here, this may still give big advantage to these services. note, Comcast Xfinity on xbox 360 now taps into Comcast private IP network and that services won’t count toward cap.

Therefore, I think services like HBOGo, MaxGo, Showtime/anytime may need to think twice before they decide to go solo…

ISPs decide the cap (it’s a variable cap) can be modified any time. I don’t think the average user ‘d wanna go over data cap. With this in mind, the future may limit the masses use of “public internet” to basic browsing, emails, updates, some downloads, few sd videos (but not to stream HD video the way we do now)….

I’m now staring to change the way i search to stream contents, instead of just what the player offers in term of contents…. to also how it delivers them (& what the total cost might be)…

• Like Like x 2
  14. ChrisG8

I hadn't seen the numbers, that makes sense. The good news is, I can live with the lower quality of HBOGo compared to the other streaming services I use, it still looks good.

15. CatfishRivers

CatfishRivers Well-Known Member

That's a good point. I believe 2500kbps (HD video) streams at the 720P quality - which IMO looks very good. Thus for my internet plan with Comcast - I only subscribe to the "Economy Plus Internet" plan which is $39.95/mo (regular full price). I get a download speed of about 3500kbps which is good enough for streaming 720P videos. I can live without 1080P videos and the more expensive internet plans.

Last edited: Feb 21, 2014
  16. pmcd

pmcd Active Member

That is a bit like saying that people who breath more should pay or if you watch more local TV you pay or if you walk further on public roads you pay more. Many of the net connections were not built solely with private money. The structure is there and it doesn't cost more to send more. In addition why offer faster speeds. That just means you can be on the net for less time.

I don't mind charging for speed capabilities but I don't think you want to get into worrying about measuring usage. I do see why you might want to lower speeds if there are network bottlenecks. That to me is preferable to having a cap and accomplishes the same thing but is easier to understand. Simply charge by speed.

Philip

17. ChrisG8

No for profit company is building infrastructure to provide air to breath but for those on oxygen tanks, no question, they will pay more or their insurance companies will pay more for using more oxygen. For profit companies are building the equipment and filling the tanks with oxygen to provide life saving oxygen tanks and breathing aparatus to patients that need that assistance and I have no problem with charging more for greater use, in fact I see it as the only way it can be provided. Public roads are built by tax dollars and absolutely wtihout any question whatsoever, heavier vehicles and individuals driving more are paying more taxes, gasoline taxes, licensing taxes and other rees. Your examples seem to prove the case that more usage should require greater payment, not disprove it. If private companies are building part of the structure for net connections, there has to be a fair way to be paid for that investment. You seem to be saying your grandmother who checks email and Facebook to see pictures of her grandchildren daily using around 5GB of data per month should pay exactly the same as I pay using 350GB per month, I say hogwash.

I don't know what percentage of markets have data caps and fees for usage beyond that cap, it may be a small percentage so far, but paying more for more data usage and more speed is the only way to make this work in my opinion. It may be up to 300GB per month, only higher speeds pay more and beyond 300GB every residential customer pays more, that is going to be determined. You are going have to show me that once the structure is there it can handle infinite amounts of data, we can all start using 1,000,000GB per month, no problem, the system can handle it. That is not my understanding of how this works. If you are saying the limitations of any given system will prevent using unlimited data, I want those users that are placing that burden on the system to have to pay more, that is the only possible deterrent to downloading terabytes of data every month.

Last edited: Feb 22, 2014
  18. pmcd

pmcd Active Member

Do you think people making local phone calls on landlines should pay more for longer conversations? What about cyclists who travel further on roads? Should people pay for drinking more water? What about charging for water in restaurants? What about people who borrow more books from a library?

I think your concerns with respect to data capacity can be handled by fee structures on the speed packages. What is the point of selling a 100 mb/s + if it means you have to end up using the net less.

I suspect that most of our differences comes down to my view that there should be a publicly controlled internet with no private isp's. That's not to say there shouldn't be a private system (as well as an academic one). The commercial world has turned the net into the horror that is TV. There was a time when communication and exchange of ideas was considered a positive thing and not something to be moneterized or patented. You can barely mention an idea now without someone heading for a patent office.

Philip