Quantcast

Showtime Announces Stand-Alone Streaming Service

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Discussion' started by CatfishRivers, Jun 3, 2015.

1. CatfishRivers

CatfishRivers Well-Known Member

2. ChrisG8

ChrisG8 Well-Known Member

$10.99 per month. The press release indicates the launch will coincide with the season premieres of "Ray Donovan" and "Masters of Sex", I haven't ever watched either series and don't know if that will be a huge incentive to subscribe for the masses.

3. CatfishRivers

The cable TV companies are getting smarter amidst all of this online competition. I currently only subscribe to Comcast internet service - I called their "retention department" and asked if there were any special deals. They offered a TV package for $10/mo called "Digital Economy". There's well over 50 channels including A&E, Discovery, History Channel. Animal Planet, and a bunch of others. It's not one of their bigger TV packages so I don't think ESPN is included. But still for just $10/mo it's probably a better deal than any online streaming service. Although I will mention that the $10/mo TV service is just for standard definition. HD is available for an additional $9.99/mo.

4. ChrisG8

ChrisG8 Well-Known Member

I have the digital economy package and ESPN is not included. How long does your promo last? At $10/month, it is a loss leader, the hope is you either continue after the promo ends or add channels that will make the package profitable.

The Chrome Box can access the Comcast Xfinity TV online service although I am not sure what programming is available based on that package.. I don't think I could get Google TV to access it. Since the package includes AMC, you will have access to AMC streaming online and several other streaming sites.

5. CatfishRivers

The Digital Economy package is for 1 year. However this same promotion has been going on for 3 or 4 years now. After the 1 year is over a customer can renew again at the same price by calling the "retention department". The customer must also subscribe to internet service at regular price. This promotion isn't offered through the normal sales department. You must tell them you are thinking of cancelling service and specifically ask for the "retention department".

Before the Digital Economy $10/mo package began to be offered several years ago - they offered a Limited Basic TV package for free to internet subscribers. That was also a 1 year deal - however after 1 year I was always able to get the same deal again for another year by calling the retention department. Now Comcast no longer offers that Limited Basic TV deal but rather the Digital Economy deal for $10/mo. Once again this is a special offer only available through the retention department.

Last edited: Jun 4, 2015