Quantcast

Should I return my Google TV 2morrow? for a wdtv hub

Discussion in 'Google TV General Discussion' started by dougb756, Jan 16, 2011.

1. dougb756

dougb756 New Member

Hi guys,

I'm thinking about returning my Sony blu ray Google TV next week for a wdtv hub. As of right now i don't see any reason to keep it, if you do please let me know. Thanks

2. gentlefury

gentlefury New Member

If your going to return it for anything I would say return it for an actual computer....Mac Mini or if that's too pricey most companies have small pc's now for pretty cheap. All these hardware media aggregators have the same flaws, poor codec support, unable to update it yourself, no customization and a lot of times poor network support, or ONLY DLNA support (and usually poor support). Media center devices are simply not mature enough to replace a real pc in your living room.

I have a Mac Mini plugged into my GTV...I use the GTV for netflix, and thats about it. Mini plugs in via HDMI, so it's pretty perfect. I even have an EyeTV plugged into it to watch and record television, because my DVR sucks and doesn't have nearly as much space.

• Like Like x 2
  3. dougb756

dougb756 New Member

How much is the Mac mini? are u able to access hulu also?

4. gentlefury

gentlefury New Member

I got mine on Amazon for $630, yes hulu desktop works great and it uses Hulu Plus, so I get the high res videos and back episodes. Oh and if you do consider getting one and you already have a PS3 with a BD remote as I do....there is an app called Remote Buddy that lets you use the BD Remote via Bluetooth to control the Mac. It's pretty awesome. I have a PS3 remote and a magic trackpad for controlling it.

5. alphawave7

alphawave7 Moderator Staff Member

Remember a $99 Roku box also gets Hulu+...

6. LaxCoach

LaxCoach New Member

This will be my last repsonse for a while here.... BECAUSE I did exactly what you are deciding upon. I loved the (promise) of the Logitech Revue w/ GoogleTV, but it simply is another pretty, overpriced "interface". It does nothing!! Atleast, not for now.

I researched for days and days and found something wrong with every media player on the market. However, for now the WDTV Live Plus for $99 is the best bet. It has Wifi (that works!) and some decent Support from WD and 3rd Part Firmware. With a Free Media Server like PlayOn or TVersity it will serve up your media and Hulu (plus). It also does Netflix with your Queu and the ability to browse categories. My only complaint is no Search feature right now, but that is promised. The main reason I chose this over RokuXDS is that it can play anything you throw at this tiny box via network (WD is the only box with Gigabit Ethernet), Optical Audio, and handy USB ports (2). I am using this with a small Bluetooth Mini Keyboard with Trackpad and USB HD. The Roku has promise, but does not play many media formats!?! Weird? It has a 3rd party "channel", but is does not work well with standard AVI's, ISO, MKV and has no DVD Chapters.

I also considered the many generics under the names Patriot, Seagate, Linwell, Brite-View and even the cheapo NBox v3 or Micca Mplay. These would have done the job too, as my intention was to buy this for "temporary" purposes until Google gets this all worked out. Then I will be glad to re-buy the current hardware with cheaper pricing (paid $279 and returned it to Amazon while I still could) and most important will have the next ARM processor architecture. The bottom line is I followed every rumor about this since November and every rumor came true! I called Logitech and followed CES news. Google asked for a halt. Logitech stopped production and the Content is and will be blocked for many many months. This current Google TV box (sony, logitech and built-in's) will certainly receive updates via OTA, but the intent here was to run Android 3.0 and that will NEVER happen with the current Atom 1.2Ghz on large LCD's.

Finally, the content issue. It is all about "who" gets the primary advertising dollar. The networks squeeze the content delivery folks (Fios, Cable, Satellite) and they squeeze the consumer. Yes, content will come to Google (eventually?), but you can bet it will be after they agree to have all FREE means blocked and we (consumers) will have to keep paying the Hulu+, Netflix, etc. Fees. I have not even mentioned that the "all you can consume internet access" will also be challenged. This is going to change to Bandwidth usage! We will pay either way! Sad, but true.

I miss my Tivo (loved that thing, but who wanted to pay for Cable AND that on top if it?). I will miss my Logitech Revue (awesome one button to internet slick interface and back to TV). Well, it was slow browsing, the giant non-backlit keyboard was not so great and no plugin ability meant use internet video. In the end, I settled on a simple box with a decent feature set for a third the price. The savvy will continue to work-around these issues (remember Napster?). I guess for now I am fine with Torrents being sent to my TV with gorgeous results. The "Black Hats" will win. It does require above average tech savvy and some "elbow grease". I just wish I didn't have to wear any "hat" to be able to watch a network television show that would be FREE on a TV with HD Rabbit Ears. Best of Luck to All ;)

• Like Like x 2
  7. gentlefury

gentlefury New Member

There is no way they could return to a per/byte rate. There would be massive uproar. We have used unlimited since after AOL because obsolete. If anything the mobile carriers will finally get over this per/byte limited BS and finally all go fast and unlimited (meaning actually unlimited....not all you can eat or 5GB whichever comes first).

The way home carriers limit and charge for useage is with speed caps. You pay for to go faster. Therefore you can only consume so much in a given month. The faster you pay for the more you can consume. This system works quite well and I think would also work wonderfully on the mobile front.

8. JPKenneth

JPKenneth New Member

The problem with society today, especially the young, is we have no patience. I consider myself an old timer as I was there when punch cards and main frames where king. I've have had the fortune to be a part of some of the technology changes over the years and have seen many ideas fall to the wayside. This is one idea that I truly believe will be successful.

Whether it's Google TV, Yahoo Connected TV or you name it TV the merging of the internet with the television is going to happen. And when I say the internet I mean the freedom to browse. I could have purchase a Roku, Boxee or Apple TV box but I wanted internet browsing and Google TV is the only one offering that at this time. And yes I could just hookup my PC to the TV but you don't get that seamless system that you do with Google TV.

It doesn't matter to me if ABC, CBS, NBC and Fox are blocking Google TV because to be quite honest they are the reason I want to browse the internet on my TV. How many times have you channel surf on your TV only to find yourself going through the channels over and over again. And yes Hulu has a lot of free network viewing but give it time you will be paying for it (Hulu+ anyone). In other words we're going to pay one way or the other for network broadcasting. In time such concepts as Google TV will open up a new online industry of internet TV providers free from the broadcast companies who currently dominate the industry.

My biggest fear is the internet providers will start charging more for this internet access. Just like cable TV has a tier system for billing cable (basic, expanded basic, premium, HD, HBO, Show Time etc) they could do the same for your internet access (email, browsing, streaming, downloading etc). Some already have such a tier billing system for internet speed so what's to stop them from going further.

So while we're debating the value of this box compared to that box and what you can get for free online the broadcasters and cable companies are doing their best to squash this technology until they can figure how to make money from it.

9. antgod

antgod New Member

If you can still return it, return it.

10. gentlefury

gentlefury New Member

But isn't this what everyones grandparents said abou them regardless of their generation since the beginning of time?

11. antgod

antgod New Member

^ Yes ,and they were right.

12. alphawave7

alphawave7 Moderator Staff Member

People are cutting cords because cable/sat has priced themselves out of the value for value...the best they can hope for (even after this merger announcement) is to continue to diversify their business, and make themselves LESS reliant on monthy sub fees and dwindling sub growth (decline). A La Carte might let them squeeze a few more years out of this model for some viewers, but I think the writing is still on the wall, as it was with music. :)