Quantcast

Should I get a Google TV?

Discussion in 'Google TV General Discussion' started by altomelto, Dec 2, 2010.

1. altomelto

altomelto New Member

Hello All

I'm planning on getting a Google TV (GTV) but I still have to figure out whether it will meet my basic needs or not, I hope you guys can help me out.

So let's start from what I have not figured out yet:

1) Does GTV shows subtitles when playing media from your local nework?
    This is a crucial aspect for me, since I'm a non-english native language living in the US, and I need to have subtitles when watching TV shows and movies when I'm tired and can't understand english anymore
    2)does GTV support silverlight?
    Unfortunately several news channel I follow use silverlight....

Now let's go on which what I think I have figured out but don't like
    3) GTV currently does not support Hulu
    AFAIK the current status is that the only workaround for the priviledge to see Hulu ads on your GTV is to pay 80$ to PlayOn ppl. In the future we may get luckier and only ahve to shell out 7.99$/month to Hulu for their ads
    4)I can't play any DRM protected music from either iTunes or Zune Pass
    Again showing the fantastic greatness of DRM protection

Now on with what I think I have figured out and I like
    5) I can play my non-DRM multimedia files form a NAS
    6) I can get access to android market apps
    7) Chrome browser has flash, so web media content will be available

As much as I think GTV is a very good attempt at convergence, there are way too many walled gardens around for that to work now, and I'll probably have to go for a full fledged PC in the living room...

2. Malachi42

Malachi42 New Member

1) I'll check when I get home.
    2) No, Silverlight is not supported. As far as I know, Microsoft has not indicated that they intend to port Silverlight to Android. All they have said is that they are keeping their eye on the platform.

6) The Android market for GTV is not open yet but will be in early 2011.

3. philmiami

philmiami New Member

I got a Sony GTV, and if I had to do it over I would get a iMac mini, wireless keyboard w/touch pad (smallest possible) and a mini-dvi AND USB to HDMI adapter (there is a good one out for $30 bucks) and use it that way on a HDMI port on my tv. Then I would NOT be stopped from seeing my net on my tv (and I would be able to hook up a HDTV web cam and use SKYPE too!). But then again this is going to run me $600-$750 (buy a used iMac mini of eBay or Craiglist) instead of the $400 I spent on this Sony GTV. I think it is a great idea, but it does NOT live up to seeing the net UNRESTRICTED, like it was meant to be. Just my thoughts........thinking and blankly staring at ceiling....