Quantcast

Should I buy a Revue?

Discussion in 'Logitech Revue' started by PeteyNice, Aug 1, 2011.

1. PeteyNice

PeteyNice New Member

My setup: Windows Media Center with a very basic (broadcast channels only)/no cable box plan from Comcast. HDHomeRun regular as the tuners, 360 as an extender. Lots of videos, music, recorded tv, pics, etc on a WHS
    What I need: I have a ReplayTV in a spare bedroom. They stopped sending it guide data so now it is the most awesome paperweight ever. With automatic commercial skip! Something else needs to go there. I'd rather it not be another 360, so I am exploring my options. From my initial research it looks like I would be trading live tv for more robust streaming capabilities.

I may consider putting a Revue in front of my media center PC if it is truly awesome.

What I need from a Revue as an extender...

- I understand that real live tv is out (although I have seen what look like promising hacks with HDHomeRun)
    - Being able to find and play recorded tv (I know it won't do WTV natively, but if I convert them to something else?)
    - Being able to find and play all of the other media on my WHS. This is mostly DiVX and avi. The 360's media center extender app plays nicely with everything.
    - Being able to run SlingPlayer (as an alternative to true live TV).
    - Being able to use PlayON as an alternative to blocked services like Hulu

I think it can do almost all of this now and SlingPlayer is in beta so hopefully it will be soon. Any suggestion for a way to automatically convert my WTV into a format that the Revue will play?

2. ticklemeozmo

ticklemeozmo New Member

You can find and play recorded items with DISH Network. Verizon, Comcast, Time Warner, etc, you are out of luck with searching your DVR. Since they will be on a media server, this brings me to my second point. The biggest hurdle you will have is SEARCHING for your content. The current search does not permit you to index DLNA content. You'll have to find your WHS content through a directory structure within DLNA.

3. PeteyNice

PeteyNice New Member

Yeah I have kind of come to that conclusion. I got a chance to play with it. MLB.tv through the browser is very kludgy. It "works" but it takes a while to get going. Using it through MediaCenter and Boxee is much smoother. Windows Connect works well for a DLNA connection to my WHS and I did not encounter codec issues but having to browse through folders is a difficult transition coming from something as polished as MediaBrowser.

Also, if you are trying to use your Revue with your MediaCenter powered HTPC, the trick is to select Microsoft as your STB manufacturer and MCE-500 as the model number.

Google TV *will* be great, but it is not quite there yet.

4. sparkyscott21

sparkyscott21 Moderator Staff Member

The time is ticking closer and closer!!:cool: