Quantcast

should have written this on Thanksgiving Day

Discussion in 'Google TV General Discussion' started by drdigital1, Nov 27, 2011.

1. drdigital1

drdigital1 New Member

I’ve been following this forum daily since the flash implementation in the Revue fell behind what my favorite web sites are using; and one thing impressed me much more than even the lousy deal the customers of Revue are going through and this is the extraordinary level of support, knowledge, kindness and patience shown by eferz. eferz, you are an awesome dude, and I hope I speak for most of the forum when I say THANK YOU. I should have written this on Thanksgiving Day, but we were hosting the holiday dinner….

With gratitude,
    drdigital1

• Like Like x 10
  2. boostm3

boostm3 New Member

big time agree!

• Like Like x 2
  3. J101

J101 New Member

Agreed. Thanks Eferz!

• Like Like x 2
  4. BucYouUp68

BucYouUp68 Member

Yep, He has helped me as well, a big Thank You Sir

• Like Like x 2
  5. eferz

eferz Well-Known Member

Wow! Thanks, everyone! I sincerely appreciate the warm regards. The affirmation is nice to have when helping people, it makes this old codger feel useful again. I've always had a propensity to assist people, and it gives me a certain satisfaction inside knowing that I've helped someone.

This is probably my least expensive pastimes. And I have to say without you all posing questions, I'd probably end up sir crazy and end up spending all my money on fast booze and cheap women. So, thank you right back at each and everyone one of you. You've all given me opportunity to share the wealth of my experiences with you. I just hope there's not too many out there who's eyes glaze over because of my posts. I know first hand how some of the young folk get when I start to tell stories.

• Like Like x 2
  6. gomezf75

gomezf75 New Member

haha yea i agree. i have been here for a little while but everytime i look at the forum i see eferz devote a lot of time and help to the people here. nice job ef keep it up. u made my experience here better.

• Like Like x 2
  7. nexttv

nexttv New Member

Yes I agree, I am new and been reading everyday. I have a question about the TVliner post that was listed. How do you change the "user agent" to default so i don't get the half screens?
    isn't this the sliver bullet for all of Google TV's issues?

8. eferz

eferz Well-Known Member

I don't understand there is no mention of Tvliner in this thread except for your post, and I haven't written anything about that horrible website in a long time. I honestly don't like using those type of websites which try to make it easier to watch TV episodes from the internet.

Being cynical as I am, I keep thinking these sites are trying to track my usage or steal my passwords. That's why I never use them nor support their use. So, I don't understand how it can be a "silver bullet" to anyone's problem. It is probably better to go directly to the corresponding sites, so that you're don't have to put up with the stupid bar at the bottom of the screen.

Anyways, here's how you would set the User Agent:

• Google TV with Android 2.1 in Chrome press GTV Menu > Settings > Advance > Mode > Default
    • Google TV with Android 3.1 in Chrome press GTV Menu > Settings > Advance Settings > Under the Hood > User Agent > Default User Agent

9. nexttv

nexttv New Member

Sorry about that, I am new to this forum. I tried to send a message and some how got this question posted this way, still leaning my way around. As for the quote of The "Sliver bullet" phase, I was referencing to the weakness of Google Tv Revue being blocked on certain sites because it knows google Tv's address. If the user agent address is the key to the problem why can't we just masked it to think it is a PC?
    Also you are correct, I think this site is junk and i am better off going directly to the site for content.
    One last question, I have been able to view CNN live news as well, does this seem correct?

10. frmorrison

frmorrison New Member

Hulu and other sites block GTV via reading the Flash version, not the Chrome User Agent. If it was that easy to fix the blocking, people wouldn't be complaining so much.

11. nexttv

nexttv New Member

I see, i have seen the pop-up about the flash version before. So because there is no hard drive is that why you can't download the the proper flash?
    Is that true that you can't down load any applications because of the memory? what about software to view free movie sites, is that posssible?

12. eferz

eferz Well-Known Member

No, the Flash version in Google TV is a signed application and is integrated as a part of the operating system. That's why it cannot be replaced and has to be updated through system updates. Also, you cannot replace it with the version currently support for the Android Phones and Tablets because that one is programed from the ARM processors instead of the x86 processor inside the current Google TV devices.

If you have Google TV with Android 2.1 (Eclair) operating system. You cannot download applications because the operating system does not allow it. The Android 3.1 (Honeycomb) update allows you to download and install apps from the Android Market. However, the Chrome application is still not able to install plug-ins or extensions.

13. eferz

eferz Well-Known Member

It is actually not just the Flash version that some sites are blocking. Most sites are only doing that because they optimized their Flash applications to the newer APIs of the updated versions. It is the sites which are specifically going out of their way by using the Flash Actionscript to read the "flash.os.platform.Capabilities" string to segregate access capabilities. If you want to see the information listed in that string then click this link, "flash.os.platform.Capabilities"

14. nexttv

nexttv New Member

Thank you for explanning this, it seems to be more clear that some of the issues are not because they don't want to block Google Tv but Google TV is behind in updating, if this is true I can understand. Now as for the sites like NBC, example watching (The Tonight show) full episodes, it says it not "available on this devise" sounds more like they are blocking this access? what is NBC afraid about?
    thank you!

15. eferz

eferz Well-Known Member

Yep, some sites but there are actually more that intentionally block Google TV and various other devices.

Yep, NBC is a prime examples of a site which is intentionally blocking Google TV. The problem is that if they make their content too freely available then the monetized value of their content goes down. Therefore channel line providers (like Dish, Comcast, Time Warner, DirecTV) won't be willing to pay as much for their content because it is not exclusive.

Sure, you can always plug a laptop into your television or stream to your computer, but the networks seem to believe this is more cost prohibitive than lets say a $99 box. It all comes down to this being a capitalistic market and everyone wanting the most value from their content. And right now, content owners make much more money from channel line providers than they do from internet advertising.

16. nexttv

nexttv New Member

Okay, now is it safe to say that the new Honeycomb updates will be correcting the Flash updates and offer more apps and not so much trying to open more avenues for the web? I don't care if Hulu is accepted or not because I have it on my Samsung Blue-ray, (but I would think if Google closes the deal with them that it would have it anyway) And really isn't the real reason Google TV is around is to develope its apps for tv anyway? Then they can offer what they want through apps and open up their own avenues like You-Tube and other choices that the big-bad-networks can't..................:confused:

17. eferz

eferz Well-Known Member

That's a tough question to answer directly, so let me say this, "The Honeycomb update is suppose to fix a lot of the broken components in Google TV as well as add more features. However, it was not intended to circumvent any type of protection that the owners and distributors have on placed on their content."

I believe the idea behind Google TV was to amalgamate watching television and internet access to give it a more seamless experience. Otherwise, there wouldn't be a need for an HDMI input in the Google TV device and everyone could just buy Android TV knockoffs from China. Unfortunately, because of the network resistance that goal has been a very difficult to achieve. The addition of the Android Market is a great tool for Google because it gives third-party developers a platform to further enhance the Google TV experience. But ultimately, Google has to build the appropriate relationships with the content owners and distributors to allow the intended use to come to fruition.

18. nexttv

nexttv New Member

Thank you for answering, these are some of the questions that have been going though my head ever since I purchase this system. i knew from the start what i was getting myself into, i knew when i was at best buy looking at this and knew when i tried to get Hulu on it and saw the sales clerk face when he didn't even know what to say and why it was locked out, it made me start thinking. So i am taking this one day at a time, purchasing this was just a idea of a friend of mine to just see if we could replace the over priced Direct TV service. i have reduced our services to just basic cable for the next year to give us time to adjust to what we would like to do and get away from cable/sat all together,
    might be a crazy idea? we will find out.

19. eferz

eferz Well-Known Member

You'd be better off purchasing a Lifetime Tivo Premiere and an OTA antenna. I had purchased the Logitech Revue way back in October 2010 and had the same idea with cutting the cord with my cable provider. However, Google TV wasn't designed to be cord cutting tool. It wasn't until I purchased the Tivo Premiere a couple months ago when I realized it was actually doable. Plus, I wouldn't be missing any of my favorite programming. This became apparent within the first week. You might consider reading through this thread, "http://www.googletvforum.org/forum/off-topic-discussion/2734-decline-fall-tivo-media-center-6.html"

20. nexttv

nexttv New Member

i will, unfortunately reception is poor in my area, so that will never happen. i agree on the Tivo idea though, looked at it already.