Quantcast

Shopping links added by skimwords??? No likey.

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Discussion' started by halox, Feb 28, 2012.

1. halox

halox New Member

Noticed some of the keywords in our threads are being turned into advertising links.

Not liking this. At all.

Just looked at one of my threads this morning : http://www.googletvforum.org/forum/...prime-com-google-tv-amazon-prime-members.html

And noticed words like A-mazon P-rime (hyphenated to prevent linking) and certain movie titles have been linked to shopping sites. Even my SIGNATURE has been invaded, as you should be able to see below in the words K-indle F-ire, S-amsung, T-ivo HD, X-box 3-60.

Ugh.

Why? Why?

2. odsamuels

odsamuels New Member

I suspect it's to help offset the site costs.

I'm glad it opens in a different tab/window... I wish links that we put in our posts would do the same.

3. halox

halox New Member

You'd figure the two banner ads, plus the sponsors window, plus the google adwords up top might offset the site costs. I guess not. Better to intrude on my message with unintended links.

4. odsamuels

odsamuels New Member

I hear ya... but question: How many times have you ever clicked on those Ads? Guess they just gotta diversify. Is it that you're concerned ppl may think ur some kind of trolling product peddler?

5. Carlszone

Carlszone Well-Known Member

Hmm...

Question is, is everyone seeing the same ads. Or are they geared toward each user. I order my coffee from Keurig. Everywhere I go these days I see ads for coffee of every type. One time I signed off before finishing an order. I was on a totally unrelated site and saw a banner reminding me to come back and complete my order.

Shivers...

Carl

6. Carlszone

Carlszone Well-Known Member

You can actually turn off targeted ads.

Example:

How to Opt Out of Targeted Ads: A Guide

I've seen similar opt-out pages on various websites. Don't know if they all kill ad targeting across the board. Except for a few weird encounters, I don't mind em. Like when in e-mail notifying someone of a recent death, and I look around and see coffin offers and mortuary invitations lining the borders of my now tomb-like composing page. Ugh!

Carl

7. ChrisG8

ChrisG8 Well-Known Member

At the top of this page for me is a TiVo ad. I see TiVo ads frequently at various sites and I think it started when I visited TiVo.com to see what upgrade offer was available for me. I have no plans to buy another TiVo as long as the ones I own work properly and that better be a long time or I will have no plans to buy another TiVo, period. The TiVo ads are wasted bandwidth but I don't care and understand the forums need to be funded somehow and advertising has to be part of the solution. I also see keywords in various posts turn into clickable ads but I don't care, I just don't click on them unless I am interested. Of all the things to complain about, this issue isn't one that I will bother with.

8. halox

halox New Member

I don't mind targeted ads. My computer is always displaying TiVo ads, like yours (on my wife's computer right now, however, and there's a Disneyland ad above). I work in creative advertising, I know that people have to eat. But I don't like the creep into the things that I am posting. For example, I love gmail, the targeted ads around the border don't bother me at all. But if gmail started inserting links into my personal correspondence, ones that I didn't intend nor endorse, that would be the end of my using that service.

I guess I'm alone in this. But it's not changing my mind.

Like odsamuels said, I believe it does make us look like trolling product peddlers in ours posts.

It cheapens the whole site.