Quantcast

Shockwave Still Not Working

Discussion in 'Logitech Revue' started by squeezon, Dec 27, 2011.

1. squeezon

squeezon New Member

As of today Shockwave is still crashing. Cannot use Spotlight for TNT, HBO-GO, Crackle etc. Any application requiring Shockwave not working. Logitech was working on the problem
    last week but have heard nothing.

2. tamanaco

tamanaco New Member

Any updates from Logitech on Shockwave or tips to avoid crashes when using the Shockwave player plug-in in Chrome?

3. Boomn4x4

Boomn4x4 New Member

I think the general consensus is that it isn't a shockwave problem, its a developer problem. Developers are poorly writing apps and testing them on powerful computers ignoring the fact that people may be using them on low power media devices such as Google TV.

I don't think there is a way for a "fix" to be made other than upgrading the hardware. Or to convince developers to write better code.... and as a developer myself.... don't hold your breath fir that one. :D

Sent from my Ally using Tapatalk

• Like Like x 2
  4. tamanaco

tamanaco New Member

I see... Shockwave is resource hungry, the Revue is underpowered and Shockwave app developers write code as if the apps were going to run on full fledged PCs. I guess we'll have to wait for the next generation GTVs with dual-core ARM processors or for web developers to spread the use of HTML5 on media-rich sites.

5. btoast

btoast New Member

Hello, sorry if this sounds like a dumb question, but I just got my revue and will be setting it up on Friday (when I get FiOS) and was planning on using the Revue specifically for HBO Go. From what I have read here HBO Go does not work on the Revue anymore?

6. halox

halox New Member

HBO Go works fine for me on the Revue. No problems at all.

7. AZ.

AZ. New Member

I have problems time to time with the shockwave crashing (on HBOgo)... If I give it the three finger salute/control/alt/delete, seams to help it greatly.

8. doharris

doharris New Member

My shockwave is crashing now. I was watching ESPN3 fine after I got the update, but hadn't tried it in a while til today, now I can't watch Amazon VOD or ESPN3 so far tonite. Sometimes I love my Revue, other times, meh.

9. funkybrunk

funkybrunk New Member

I agree that it most likely has something to do with how different sites implement Flash. I have streamed multiple movies from Amazon with no issue, but can't seem to make it though 15 minutes of either HBOGO or MAXGO without either a drop in PQ or outright crashing. As mentioned, the 3 finger salute seems to help a little, but not consistently. I am hoping that a 3.2 update will fix these issues.

10. revue5

revue5 Well-Known Member

HBOGO & MAXGO sites do have their moments, as you mentioned mostly have something to do with their sites,

These tips may help,

• Avoid running two ‘flash-WebPages’ at the same time. (to avoid Error: shockwave Flash Crash!)

• Delete all sites from Adobe Flash Storage Settings - Go to Chrome >press [Option] key > Settings > Advance settings > select “under the Hood “ > Adobe Flash Storage > delete all.
    • Increasing “Chrome’s Global Storage Settings” to “unlimited”
    • Reboot Revue.
    • Go back to Adobe Flash Storage Settings and check if “unlimited” was saved, if not set it again & Reboot.

Also, check out these Netflix tips they may help with HBOGO & MAXGO – click here.

Good luck

11. madman999

madman999 Member

unfortunately, the issue is very site specific. i can see why Flash has it;s detractors and there is a push to go away from it completely. if these were paid services, i;d be even more upset.

I was streaming stuff from the dramacrazy.net website with some problems but overall successfully the last month and 1/2. however, I noticed that they must have changed/upgraded their flash software(the controls are noticeably different starting a week ago) and now I can barely watch anything without crashes, buffer filling up, ect....and all the old tricks like clearing the cache, killing all the apps using advance task killer pro only helps sporadically now. I;d blame the Revue but I get the same type of errors on my Droid Incredible phone and my CM7 Nook Color as well.

May be just an Android thing but I also get it on a Windows XP laptop with latest Adobe Flash as well.

12. wilwith1l

wilwith1l New Member

I'm having a problem with flash on a site called liveexercise (can't provide the URL cause I'm new) ever since the most recent update, where I have no problem with the video stream, but the audio won't play. The only time I hear it play is if I navigate to a settings option (like chrome history) and it will play the audio for like 3 seconds and cut out again. I've resorted to cleaning the cache and even reset to factory settings yesterday with no resolve. I think I may roll back to previous version as I had no issues on the previous release. I wish this stuff would get proper regression testing in advance of updates. I love my googleTV, but I don't exactly like to workout in silence if I don't have to :p

- Wil
    ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

13. ru42112

ru42112 New Member

I agree sometimes I like my revue and sometimes I hate it. Im glad I didnt pay 299 for it. If gtv is this clumsy I cant imagine what web tv was like for microsoft? Ive been spending way to much time trying to fix problems instead of enjoying it. Like I said on another post, I dont think gtv is ready for me yet. My shockwave also crashes.

14. CatfishRivers

CatfishRivers Well-Known Member

I had the Microsoft webtv for over ten years. Of course it's obsolete now - however back in the heyday they did some good things right that Google could learn from.

1) For instance their bookmark system was miles ahead of GTV bookmarks. With Webtv I had folders and sub-folders arrainged in a nice way. It was baked into the operating system.

2) If I liked a page I could click a button on the keyboard to automatically email it to a friend (without the need for going to my email page first).

3) Webtv didn't have a mouse and touchpad. Instead the cursor would be in the form of a box over any links. Then the cursor was moved with the arrow keys. For some seniors and such - this is a better system than the touchpad which is kind of clumsy to maneuver the cursor sometimes.

4) Webtv had it's own discussion groups. Hundreds of them actually where many friendships were formed. This forum is great - but Webtv had a huge discussion groups database built directly into the operating system. They also had free access to usenet built into their OS.

5) The MSN messenger could be used while web surfing. On GTV I need to be on my Gmail page to use the Gmail chat.

Last edited: Feb 17, 2012
  15. Carlszone

Carlszone Well-Known Member

Yeah, but you forget to mention, it was a dial-up only service. By todays standard, Webtv is now only good for e-mail, light surfing, and 2 to 3 minute videos in WMP/Mpeg/Wave format. The background music was a kind of elevator music I've fortunately forgotten the name for. The public groups were contentious. The club groups were ruled by mini dictators that could ban you just based on your opinion. And don't forget about the TOS violations that left many users with useless boxes better used for doorstops.

And remember, that was a subscription service. Those poor old folks were paying between $10.95 - 21.95 a month.

MSNTV 2 subscriptions were about the same, but w/Broadband you paid $9.95 to MSN and whatever your provider fee was. I was paying $39.95 for Cox. Added up, it was a whopping yearly cost for lesser and lesser functionality, and further exacerbated by MSN indifference.

The MSNTV 2, the replacement for the Webtv, was both Dial-up and Broadband. But the unit's lack of memory caused the box to disconnect often, and w/out warning. All data and sites for that session were deleted from memory so often you'd couldn't find the site you visited.

Folders for favorites can be a bit cumbersome.

Carl

16. revue5

revue5 Well-Known Member

Try to disable Screensaver & avoid on-screen-double-click, while running a flash video.

& try some of these tips – click here

• Like Like x 2
  17. rayovac

rayovac New Member

Hi newbie here. I worked the Logitech boards early on. Re Shockwave crashing I am assuming everyone tried the "fix" from Logitech? Open Chrome click on settings, then on "under the hood" then click on the Adobe Shockwave settings . Once there
    delete all sites such as "HBO.Com" etc. Set the allowed space to no limit by sliding the arrow all the way over to the right. Then go above and click on the "Global Settings" or box 2 and set to "unlimited. Then hit ALT-CTRL-DEL and reset the Revue.
    Now you should be able to watch any of the movie or tv apps. This will stay this way for about 10 viewings at which time you back and do the same again. Logitech and Google are trying to work the problem out, but so far nothing to report.
    If everything I just outlined you have already tried, then accept my apology for repeating it.

18. ru42112

ru42112 New Member

reboot means pressing button on back of revue? This brings it back to to factory settings?

19. squeezon

squeezon New Member

No press ALT-CNTL-DEL this will reload the box and not take it back to factory settings. If you want to go back to factory settings then you would push the button in back of the unit, or unplug the unit for 2mins.

20. revue5

revue5 Well-Known Member

^ +1

To Reboot Revue,

• Press Ctrl + Alt + DEL
    • Unplug it from power (wait 30 sec.) re-plug it.

more - click here

Last edited: Feb 20, 2012