Quantcast

Shockwave flash crash

Discussion in 'Sony Blu-Ray Set Top Box' started by tsureshraj49, Dec 1, 2011.

1. tsureshraj49

tsureshraj49 New Member

Hi,
    I am new to Google TV and this Forum. Is there a fix for Shockwave flash crash when viewing videos in Chrome browser ? I was not able to find a solution when I searched in various Threads that talk about this Crash.

Any help in resolving this would be much appreciated.

• Like Like x 2
  2. eferz

eferz Well-Known Member

There really is no "fix" for the problem because it is usually due to the developer inundating systems with lower resources. The web developer will need to optimize his flash applications to be able to play on systems will lower system resources. This was discussed during the http://www.googletvforum.org/forum/google-tv-development-discussion/3658-hangout-rishi-chandra.html

• Like Like x 2
  3. RedBank

RedBank New Member

AndroidCentral...if one of your peeps reads this thread...this error occurs every time I visit

4. eferz

eferz Well-Known Member

lol. you should just report it to the website admin directly.

5. RedBank

RedBank New Member

good point...i figured that since their site was so heavily loaded with flash et al...it was par for course.

6. gdstuart

gdstuart New Member

eferz, interesting reading and it sounds reasonable, but the reasoning falls apart when you realize that I could play these Flash videos just fine until the new GTV update came out. Now they have no sound and after a few minutes they crash. Any ideas how to change settings on the Sony NSZ-GT1 to remedy this? Other posts here show that the Logitech has settings that can be tweaked, but those directions don't work on the Sony unit; the Chrome settings menu is different. Love to have some help with this.

Thanks,

7. eferz

eferz Well-Known Member

The menu is actually, no different. You might have missed the settings. In the other post, I have supplied a screenshot and highlighted the picture for you. As far as Flash not working after the update, that can be incidental due to the changes Adobe made to their software or coincidental because of the changes the individual web designer did to their Flash based web apps.

8. johndeep

johndeep New Member

Thanks for sharing this interesting information and thank you very much.

9. gdstuart

gdstuart New Member

eferz, I did discover that what I thought was a help page was actually the app to change the settings. However, following those recommendations, and then rebooting, still did not make it work correctly. I have emailed the vendor to see if there's anything his developer can do to lighten the load on the client.

10. eferz

eferz Well-Known Member

Excellent. I hope it works out for you.

11. les anderson

les anderson New Member

Hbogo crashes all of the time. I have a feeling that the people that built hbos site understand how to incorporate flash. Seems a little unrealistic to blame all of this on the websites.

12. eferz

eferz Well-Known Member

Not unrealistic at all. Mobile Flash is flakey as it is, it is only exacerbated by web designers who push their Flash apps as if their only clients were using a PC. The Google TV devices do not have the same resources and if it is pushed beyond its capability then it will crash. It may seem unrealistic to you, but that's only because you don't understand the technological side of things.

13. les anderson

les anderson New Member

Maybe HBOGO should not be in "Spotlight" then? Maybe Google shouldn't push sources that can't deliver content to the box consistently... I am not complaining about a random HBOGO crash here or there. Nor am I complaining about some obscure website that frequently crashes.

This is supposed to work.

14. eferz

eferz Well-Known Member

I totally agree with you. They probably should do a better job of vetting the items that remain in the Spotlight app. Just because someone's web app worked in the past, doesn't mean the it works well now. Someone should get on Google's case for not having a dedicated employee monitoring the sites in the Spotlight. The only way to avoid this disappointment is to have that person constantly checking each website to make sure every item works well with Google TV.

15. les anderson

les anderson New Member

Eferz, the totally revamped for 2.0, tv and movies app that is arguably the core of google tv at this point has hbogo content searchable and directs users at the site which crashes more than 50% of the time. You can keep fooling yourself into thinking that this is excusable, but the average person is going to perceive this as a fail. PERIOD.

The details don't matter.

16. eferz

eferz Well-Known Member

I've never suggested the shortcoming of Google TV was excusable. EVER. The most I've ever done was try and diagnose the root cause of the problem(s) and try to help my fellow community members with a work around or point them in the right direction. If you think that I'm satisfied with the product as is, then you're abhorrently mistaken. There are a number of work-a-rounds that I had implement for Google TV to work suitably in my own environment. The only reason why I'm here, and here often is because I'm retired and have a quite a bit of free time to help others.

That being said. Unlike most people I bought Google TV with the understanding that the product is in it infancy, like all of Google's initial product offerings it has a long way to go before it will have general public acceptance. Except for a paper route and a managing a pizza parlor when I was young, all of my career was spent working for various companies in related fields. So, I happen to have a good understanding of the business; not only the technological side of things but organizational and financial aspect as well. And although, I'm a person on the outside looking in, it doesn't take a genius to see challenges surrounding the product.

One of the biggest challenges is Google themselves. I believe there's a misconception that people have when they think about Google. Most of them perceive Google as this great big company that's ran like a well oiled machine. However, they'd be mistaken. Like most large corporations, Google is an organization which is comprised of balkanized set of diverse business units. Each one with their own projects, timelines, and goals. While under the Google umbrella they are heading in generally the same direction, but that doesn't mean that they're all going at the same pace.

Most often when people write about their dissatisfaction in these forums they are preaching to choir. We all have the similar if not the same product and the related challenges. Some may have it worse or better off than others due to their unique situations and how they intended to use the it. But generally, we all understand its shortcomings and those whom don't there's always someone around whom might offer an explanation.

I do understand benefits of catharsis in writing such posts. But to be honest, you'll have more of an impact if you direct these things to directly to Google or their partners. Sure there might be someone from one of these companies reporting about the "general pulse of the community" but unless someone like Larry Page, Rishi Chandra, Eric Eric Schmidt actually reading it then getting your intended results is actually pretty slim.

17. gdstuart

gdstuart New Member

Very well put, eferz. My subjective perception over the years is the Google, like Intuit, has become increasingly remote from the end user as they have grown into new markets. Used to be that you would get Google developers personally handling issues on a voluntary basis in the various forums (fora?) but now there are many issues like Shockwave that the user community is just left to flog around on their own.

Shockwave also doesn't run any longer in Chrome on my Dell PC, so this was the last straw; I have switched to Firefox and abandoned Chrome, despite it's lighter footprint and great response times. Shockwave is just one of several issues that I was hitting in Chrome that isn't being addressed by Google. Initially they were quite responsive with Chrome issues, in an attempt to gain share, but now the emphasis seems to have shifted. Installing Firefox led me to the wonderful discovery that Firefox syncs bookmarks between my PC, my Android phone, and my iPad2, which is another thing that Chrome did not do without jumping through hoops. I guess now it's time to try to run Firefox on my Sony GTV box, and totally sever my Chrome ties. And that would be a shame.

18. tsureshraj49

tsureshraj49 New Member

[Shockwave also doesn't run any longer in Chrome on my Dell PC, so this was the last straw; I have switched to Firefox and abandoned Chrome, despite it's lighter footprint and great response times. Shockwave is just one of several issues that I was hitting in Chrome that isn't being addressed by Google. Initially they were quite responsive with Chrome issues, in an attempt to gain share, but now the emphasis seems to have shifted. Installing Firefox led me to the wonderful discovery that Firefox syncs bookmarks between my PC, my Android phone, and my iPad2, which is another thing that Chrome did not do without jumping through hoops. I guess now it's time to try to run Firefox on my Sony GTV box, and totally sever my Chrome ties. And that would be a shame.[/QUOTE]

Is there a way to run Firefox (or) any other browser on GTV ?

• Like Like x 2
  19. gdstuart

gdstuart New Member

Have you just tried to install it? I have not yet experimented with it. Why don't you give it a shot and let us know.

20. eferz

eferz Well-Known Member

I have. Actually, I've side loaded a range of browsers meant for Android Phone and Tablets. Basically, you get one of two scenarios; either the app force closes upon launch or the browser doesn't support Flash the way it is implemented on Google TV. It has been a while since I installed Firefox, so I didn't know which of these was the case so...

I think until someone releases an alternative browser specifically for Google TV, you're pretty much stuck with Chrome unless you want to put up with partial functionality. In which case the Maxthon TV Browser is probably the "best" and I'm using that term loosely.

• Like Like x 2