Quantcast

Sharring on network

Discussion in 'Logitech Revue' started by lunapark, Oct 12, 2011.

1. lunapark

lunapark Member

Hi

I got my Revue connected to my TV in the livingroom,
    and connected to my wifi.
    Is it possible to share my movies from my computer to Revue via LAN ?

2. pgoelz

pgoelz New Member

Yes, with some limits.

The Revue understands DLNA only. It does not support conventional file sharing. To be seen by the Revue, your PC has to act as a DLNA server. With Windows 7, this is as easy as turning on media streaming in the network and sharing settings. At that point, any files that are in your video library can be seen by the Revue.

The Revue at present has a very limited number of supported CODECs, so even if they can be seen by the Revue, your movies have to use a supported file format and CODEC.

If your movies are not in a supported format, you can use third party DLNA server software (some free and some paid) that will transcode to a supported format on the fly. I use Mezzmo and it works.... to a point. For example, if I try to play M2TS files (h.264), Mezzmo starts transcoding and the Revue starts playing. But the playback will usually stop after some seconds. If you then re-start it plays OK to the end. According to the folks at Mezzmo, this is a limitation of the Revue. When transcoding begins, the ultimate file size is unknown and this confuses the Revue.

Bottom line.... it is a very mixed bag in my experience. I am hoping the (supposedly) upcoming software update will add more CODEC support.

Paul

3. towboy123

towboy123 New Member

I have been using Logitech Media Server(still in Beta) very successfully with the Honeycomb User Debug(Still in Beta)

4. pgoelz

pgoelz New Member

As far as I know, the Logitech media server does not transcode so any formats that work on the Revue are bing supported natively. What video formats do you find that the HC release supports on the Revue?

Paul

5. towboy123

towboy123 New Member

I have no idea what format or codecs I am using they all just work

6. arielch

arielch New Member

Towboy123,

Thanks for your mail.
    I have a Logiteh Revue and I can't play video with the m2ts format record with my panasonic hdc-tm90.
    What do you recomend ? upgrade to honeycomb beta ? or wait the update ?
    Do you have the instruccions to make the upgrade to honeycomb beta ?
    If it`s possible to upgrade later to the release ?
    Please let me know, regards,

7. towboy123

towboy123 New Member

There is no real way to tell if you can upgrade off the beta
    The user bug has had the ability to flash updates removed from recovery so no manual update is possible
    Using ADB you can flash a different update which will allow the Manual Update

I am not to concerned about being able to update but might have to learn about ADB to do it. I am sure Logitech/Google want people off the user debug as it has ADB root so I think the update will happen either way.

IF you are not savy with Android I would not make the jump to any of the Betas

If you go to GTVhacker.com you can find alot of good info including how to update to HC beta

It is real close I would just stick it out