Quantcast

Sharing GTV's WiFi with DirecTV via Ethernet Connection

Discussion in 'Google TV General Discussion' started by Pinion00, Jan 2, 2012.

1. Pinion00

Pinion00 New Member

I'm sure this has been answered in another discussion but I've been searching on this forum and others for some time now with no specific luck. If it has been posted elsewhere, a simple link would be much appreciated...

The title pretty much says it all. Instead of spending $$ on a wireless adapter for my DirecTV HD box (network access required for movie purchases and some other features), is there a way to share the WiFi signal GTV picks up and send out to my DirecTV receiver via an ethernet connection? If so, what are the steps to set this up?

Thanks alot for any feedback.

2. eferz

eferz Well-Known Member

If your Google TV device is already setup via WiFi then you can connect the DirecTV receiver via Ethernet and it will share the wireless connection.

3. Pinion00

Pinion00 New Member

I was hoping it would be that simple, too, but doesn't seem to be quite so effortless. I can plug the receiver in the living room directly into one of the LAN ports of the router and it connects to the network just fine. But when I try connecting the GTV in the bedroom to the DirecTV box, DTV just isn't getting online. Is there a setting somewhere that I may be overlooking?

Thanks again--

4. eferz

eferz Well-Known Member

Check to make sure that GTV Settings > Network > Status > Private Network > Enabled. Otherwise, you may have to reboot the GTV device to ensure that it is. Also, make sure that the DirecTV device can accept a DHCP address and not setup as a static IP address because it will be on a different subnet.

5. bkdg100

bkdg100 New Member

not sure of your goal . can you be detailed . are trying to use the revue as a client (a source for internet access ) by plugging into its port while it works over wireless ? if so , no way . would be great if it was so though . i suggest you get a 20 dollar wireless router that can be switched ( literally ) to client mode . and use it just the way you are thinking . think wireless game adaptor ...

basically, a wireless ap backwards to the DirecTV box

Last edited: Jan 2, 2012
  6. Pinion00

Pinion00 New Member

I think I recall seeing the Private Network set to Disabled. Not certain how, but I will take a look when I get home in a bit to see if that is the problem. Will verify later this evening and jump back on here if that solves it. Thanks--

7. eferz

eferz Well-Known Member

You'd be surprised. This is part of the core Google TV features. Take a look at Sony's Google TV "Point to Point Connection" for Blu-Ray and Television. Also, check out #5 in Logitech's "Pairing Revue with a DISH Network Set-top box".

8. Pinion00

Pinion00 New Member

eferz is correct. Not certain how that Private setting got changed but as soon as I unplugged the GTV for a while to let it reboot the Private Network set back to Enabled and my DTV box was online in seconds. I wasn't even sure that it would be possible either. Does anyone know if this, in any way, can affect the speed/strength of the WiFi connection once it reaches the DTV box or anything else that's connected to the GTV LAN port? I can't imagine simply using GTV as a passthrough would cause any diminished speeds or anything, but I'm also hardly the most network-minded person. It does seem my download speeds are a bit slower then they should be on the receiver...

Thanks for the advice. Worked like a charm--

9. bkdg100

bkdg100 New Member

client mode , really ? never saw that ,had too many options for connecting to even explore it ...... learn something new everyday .

"eferz" should be mandatory reading here ... lets make a sticky and call it "EFERZ ANSWERS" , you are the man .

10. eferz

eferz Well-Known Member

You're welcome. Glad to help. Incidentally, the Private Network will be disable if it recognizes a DHCP broadcasts on the Ethernet port. If you have ever tried to plug in the Revue to your LAN and WLAN at the same time this will cause it to disable.

Also, the Wireless Radio of the Revue can only transfer up to 65Mbps. If you're sharing the connection between two devices then you're also sharing the available bandwidth. I usually recommend people use a HomePlug AV Powerline Adapaters instead of using WiFi. It will provide better throughput and is not susceptible to the problems associated with wireless networking. Either Logitech or Netgear make quality adapters which run in the 200Mbps and 500Mpbs respectively. However, you were asking for a way to save money so it would have been a moot point.

11. Pinion00

Pinion00 New Member

I'm assuming by Revue you mean the TV? I don't have a set-top box. But from what I've read they tend to operate similarly in respect to networking capabilities. In any case, it's fixed so that's all I care about. And yeah, this is just a cheap-o temp fix until I get out to buy a USB adapter for the receiver. Not so much an expense thing as I live 40 miles from anything that even resembles a computer supply or electronics store. So this will have to suffice for now. 65mbps is plenty for my DTV Video On Demand, at least in standard def. Good enough for me! Take it easy--

12. eferz

eferz Well-Known Member

No, by Revue I mean Revue. Your DirecTV Receiver is considered a set-top box. Your Revue and DirecTV are sharing the 65Mbps bandwidth.

Btw, 65Mbps is more than enough for High Definition Video OnDemand. I doubt most people even have half that amount in download bandwidth with their Internet Service Provider (which btw is usually the bottleneck in speed capability.)

13. Pinion00

Pinion00 New Member

No clue what Revue is then. I have the Sony GTV so perhaps I should have specified. As for the 65mbps... thats what I thought. Guess I'll be calling DirecTV tomorrow. At least everything is wired and connected properly now

14. eferz

eferz Well-Known Member

Oh, my bad... The Revue is the Logitech version of Google TV. The Sony branded Google TV devices are capable of WiFi speeds up to 300Mbps. Therefore, it would be sharing the connection at that bandwidth. Or whatever the listed link speed in GTV Settings > Network > WiFi > SSID of your network.

15. Pinion00

Pinion00 New Member

No sweat, that's what I figured based on what little I've read about the Revue. Nothing listed under the WiFi except "Connected To..." and "Signal Strength: Good". It's definitely slower DL speeds on the receiver than on the GTV so not sure what's going on there. But, like I said, no big. It'll function until I can get to the city. Although I might have to hook the laptop up to that Ethernet cable tomorrow and run a speed test just to see because it really does have my curiosity up now....

16. eferz

eferz Well-Known Member

You might not be waiting long enough for the SSID to be clickable.

17. Pinion00

Pinion00 New Member

Yup, didn't know I had to wait for it to load. You were right the first time. 65Mbps...