Quantcast

Shall I go with HTPC or GTV?

Discussion in 'Google TV General Discussion' started by siulonbow, Dec 8, 2010.

1. siulonbow

siulonbow New Member

Hi all,

I am new here, and I really like the idea of the GTV. I am planning to buy a device that I can download movie from websites, perhaps BT or live streaming video, and also have a blu-ray player. I have been looking at the PC route, but it will cost over $500 if I want to have the video card with HDMI plug. I am so glad to learn that GTV can do what I am looking for, but I am afraid the limitation might restricted me from watching video I normally go to. Can anyone that has experience with using GTV shed some ideas?

Can GTV download BT file? If it can't, can I bring the movie over by an external harddisk and download it to the GTV harddrive? I don't recall whether GTV have an internal harddisk.

I talked to a sales rep. of GTV, he informed me that I could download a video software through a flashdrive into GTV if that software is not provided. Have anyone experience this?

Thanks

2. andcbii

andcbii New Member

Get a computer. IMO GTV currently isn't worth it.

3. HamDog

HamDog Member

You gotta consider that HTPC's have been around for some time while GTV is brand new. Anything that's new is gonna have bugs and issues. An HTPC will do A LOT more than GTV, but it costs substantially more. I think you need to spend more than $500 on an HTPC computer. You need fast processors, plenty of memory, and a great video card to run Windows 7 Media Center. With an HTPC, you can install any video player you want or may be required (Flash, Silverlight, Quicktime or any other proprietary software). You'll never find a video clip that you can't watch!

An HTPC will do everything as it's an actual computer running a full operating system. It can't be blocked from specific content. GTV is already being blocked from major networks. But that could change in the near future. It's still too new.

The only benefit of GTV over an HTPC is organization and price. GTV uses search results from Google that are specifically tailored to watching media on your TV. You can find shows much easier as it's layout is awesome. You'll have a harder time finding shows on an HTPC as it's organization leaves a lot to be desired.

GTV does not have a built-in hard drive. You can't record shows on it. However you can stream from other computers (I think). I'm using an HTPC and won't even think about trying GTV until the issues are resolved with the major networks.

4. gentlefury

gentlefury New Member

HTPC! I bought a google TV. Sony 46"...and honestly if it werent for the TV being so good I would have returned it. The GTV Functions as of now are pretty limited to the point of being useless (thanks a lot greedy networks and hulu!!)....the thing it did do tho was get me interested in have a real web experience on my tv....so I bought a Mac Mini.....BEST home theater product ever!! Plex for media aggrigation...Hulu, even tho they try to keep it out of the living room made their own HTPC app called google desktop and it works great and is very remote friendly!

If you decide to go the Mac Mini route, buy a PS3 BD Remote and an app called Remote Buddy.....you can control everything with the remote (even keyboard and mouse)...it is awesome! Makes the Mac Mini a perfect set top box!

5. siulonbow

siulonbow New Member

I have thought about the Mac Mini route, but I was worry that I wouldn't be able to watch stream video or would have problem with BT because most of the file online are for PC use. Though, one thing I like about Mac is that it is virus free. Please advice

6. HamDog

HamDog Member

Do you already have cable or satellite? Or do you use an antenna to pick up local channels in HD? If you already have cable/satellite service, then the Mac Mini is a great little computer. It should play most, if not all, the video content available out there on the net. But if you use an antenna, then I would definitely recommend a Windows 7 based computer as it's media center is awesome. With a built-in TV tuner, you can record shows, get full channel guide, and watch regular HD TV on your HTPC.

7. siulonbow

siulonbow New Member

I will not be using the htpc or mac mini to watch tv show as I already have my cable wired to the media room. I want to use this device for online browsing and downloading BT movies or tv show. I have looked into the mac mini, but it doesn't have an optical out option. I have setup a hdmi cable to run to the projector, and optical line to the receiver. For the Mac mini, it only come with a hdmi plug. Do you have any idea how I can use optical out or audio source? Thanks

8. HamDog

HamDog Member

If you have and keep cable with a DVR, then Windows media center will probably be useless to you. Sure, it has some Internet TV shortcuts, but I find it pretty much useless. It's true capabilities are in being an actual TV tuner's pal. Per the Mac Mini spec page, the HDMI output also supports multi-channel audio. But this doesn't help if you want to plug the audio output to a surround receiver that doesn't have HDMI. BUT, the headphone output is actually an analog and digital output! You need a special cable though.

Check out this blog that explains it:

Mac Mini Digital Optical Output

Personally, I'm a Windows person. I've never owned a Mac and probably never will. But I gotta give credit where it's due. The Mac Mini does seem to make a good HTPC. It's small and unobtrusive, quiet, and seems to have all the right inputs/outputs. I don't have any personal experience with it, so maybe someone else can chime in who has tried it.

9. gentlefury

gentlefury New Member

Mac mini has optical and HDMI audio out...

Also, if you get an Elegato Eyetv you can then use the mini as an HD DVR, it also encodes the videos automatically to put on your iphone or ipad.

10. gentlefury

gentlefury New Member

I personally love mine...Like I said I have it set up to use the PS3 remote for everything. I set it up so the arrow keys move the mouse 8246 control the keyboard arrows, enter button is left click and hold enter key is right click, I added zooming shortcuts and when you press square it brings up the onscreen keyboard. Couple that with Plex, Hulu, Boxee, and Firefox (all set up to start with the colored shortcut keys on the remote) with NoSquint plugin and you have an amazing HTPC that can be controlled like a media center. Also, I have my plex library on my Mac Pro so if I need to adjust it I can do that from my desktop....and if I need to tweek any settings on the Mac Mini I can screen share into it.

Also the PS3 dualshock works natively with Snow Leopard and lets you control games like emulators flawlessly. All in all it is a perfect HTPC with a VERY small energy footprint.