Quantcast

Several New Android TV devices With Quad Core CPU & 2GB RAM

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Discussion' started by CatfishRivers, Apr 12, 2013.

1. CatfishRivers

CatfishRivers Well-Known Member

Mele goes quad-core with Mele A1000G Android TV box - Liliputing <---(Mele A1000G)

and also:

http://liliputing.com/2013/04/minix-unveils-x7-quad-core-android-media-box-among-other-things.html <---(Minix Neo X7)

and also:

http://liliputing.com/2013/04/cx-919-android-mini-pc-has-rk3188-cpu-external-antenna.html <---(CX-919)

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Also in the following thread I listed several more recent android TV devices with quad-core processors. I believe most of them have 2GB of RAM:

http://www.googletvforum.org/forum/...mk802-iv-quad-core-mini-pc-android-4-2-a.html

Last edited: Apr 12, 2013
  2. Scuzzo

Scuzzo Active Member

may be called a fan boy of these thing.. so be it..
    but man they are great fun... and the technology really is moving fast..
    they just doubled the ram on the one i bought for not so much more...
    i will prob just hang with the minix x5 untill xbmc advances enough to tag the processor too much.. then i will jump to a quad or whatever.. it nice to see so real development coming out a grassroots level.. heck yea i will support the little guy with a cool idea... its just a lots of fun to see where all this is going... and if google announces a 3rd gen google box with i better direction.. who knows.

3. ChrisG8

ChrisG8 Well-Known Member

Does anybody know if the companies making these things are paying licensing fees for Dolby Digital or DTS or whatever other decoding and processing that is being used requiring licensing? I suspect the answer is no which explains why they are all over the place regarding which company (all unknown to me) makes one and the next similar model has a different brand name (still unknown). If the situation is as it appears to me, I would expect very short windows of any support from the fly by night companies making the things.

If the companies are legitimate and play by the rules, I would like somebody to show me some information, let's say for the company making the Mini Neo X7. If nobody knows or cares and everybody is happy despite that, fine with me, have at it. Obviously most of the equipment I use is Chinese but all of it is sold by companies playing by the rules, like the various Google TV boxes.

4. CatfishRivers

Tronsmart T428 TV stick with RK3188, Android 4.2 now available - Liliputing (click for full article)

by Brad Linder - April 17, 2013

"One of the first Android TV sticks with a Rockchip RK3188 quad-core processor is now available. Geekbuying reports that the Tronsmart T428 is ready to ship. The store is selling the stick for $99."

Tronsmart T428 Android 4.2 Jelly Bean Quad Core.....

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 30, 2014
  5. CatfishRivers

Uhost3 quad-core Android TV box looks like a hockey puck - Liliputing (click for full article)

by Brad Linder - April 22, 2013

"Chinese device maker Smallart is starting to show off designs for an upcoming Android TV box which looks a bit like a hockey puck... or maybe a smoke alarm. The Uhost3 is a round box designed to sit near your TV, allowing you to play Android apps on a big screen.

According to Geekbuying, the Uhost3 will feature a quad-core processor, but the manufacturer hasn't yet decided whether to use an Allwinner A31s chip or a Rockchip RK3188 processor.

Other specs include 2GB of RAM, 8GB of built-in storage, HDMI output, 2 USB ports, an Ethernet jack, a microSD card slot, and audio jacks. It also has a camera on the front.

You can cover up the ports with a piece of plastic when they're not in use, to really make the Uhost3 look more like a piece of sporting gear.

There's also WiFi and Bluetooth built-in, support for sharing media using DLNA and Miracast standards, and support for an air mouse/remote control.

The Uhost3 is expected to ship with Android 4.1 Jelly Bean software."

6. CatfishRivers

Tronsmart MK908 quad-core Android TV stick performance (video) - Liliputing (click for full review)

by Brad Linder - April 26, 2013

"The Tronsmart MK908 is an Android TV stick with a quad-core processor, 2GB of RAM, 8GB of storage, and strong WiFi performance. Like other Android sticks I've tried, it's designed to let you run Android apps on a TV, and it's probably one of the best devices of its type I've tested in the past year.

Geekbuying sells the MK908 for about $90, and the company sent me a unit to test."

Tronsmart MK908 quad-core Android TV stick (Rockchip RK3188)

7. CatfishRivers

Chris I'm not sure what company makes the Mini Neo X7 - but I came across the following article (and video) on ArmDevices.net that I think might be of interest to you:

Mele Factory Tour - ARMdevices.net

Posted by Charbax - April 29, 2013

"Mele is probably one of the worlds biggest ARM Powered Android Set-top-box makers in the world. They manufacture up to 500 thousand Android ARM Set-top-boxes per month.

On this Mele factory tour, 8 floors, 10 thousand square meters, One floor is for Management, one floor is for R&D the other floors are for the Factory.

This tour shows the SMT lines that are gearing up to mass produce Allwinner A31, A20 PCBs that go in Mele's next generation Android Set-top-boxes. The next floor tour features the factory assembly lines, where the Mele factory workers are assembling the latest Mele Android set-top-boxes. Finally, this tour also shows Mele's storage area for packed Set-top-boxes to ship as well as storage area for components before assembly."

Mele Factory Tour:

• Like Like x 2
  8. ChrisG8

I don't know what types of devices are manufactured in that Mele factory but it is certainly possible that it makes Android mini PCs in addition to the Android tablets and set top boxes discussed.

I still believe that most or all the Android mini PCs being discussed are in violation of all or most licensing requirements.

9. CatfishRivers

iMito QX1 quad-core Android TV stick with external antenna coming soon for $90 - Liliputing (click for full article)

by Brad Linder - May 4, 2013

"Chinese device maker iMito's latest Android TV stick is a tiny box with a quad-core processor that lets you run Android apps on your TV. The iMito QX1 has a Rockchip RK3188 ARM Cortex-A9 processor, which is one of the zippiest chips in its class, and runs Android 4.2 Jelly Bean software.

The TV stick also features an external antenna which should help boost WiFi performance - a problem spot on many other Android TV sticks."

10. ChrisG8

I think the iMito QX1 sounds like the best one of these Android mini PCs I have read about.

11. CatfishRivers

MK908 II Android TV stick with external antenna hits the streets for $75 and up - Liliputing (click for full article)

by Brad Linder - August 25, 2013

The Tronsmart MK908 is a small box with a few USB ports, a quad-core processor, and HDMI output. You can plug it into a TV to run Android apps on the big screen. There are a lot of devices on the market like the MK908, but it's one of the fastest, most reliable devices of its type that I've tested in the past year.

Now there's a new model which features an external antenna which should offer better WiFi performance.

The MK908 II is available from several sellers at AliExpress, with prices starting at $75.

12. Wilson

Wilson New Member

Hi, Guys

I just got news on MeLE's facebook page and YouTube channel that their quad core model has a new one named M8. Also their new version V1.2.8 firmware for quad core (A31) has support for hardware decode for Blu-ray in XBMC. (However, I'm not able to post any web link right now)

13. jschall

jschall Member

I just received one of these, and all I can say is - it's FAST.

I got mine from Amazon.ca:
    http://www.amazon.com/Android-Extern...ds=hossen+3188

But there are several identical such mini-PCs going under such names as:

EKB311
    Kingnovel K-R42
    Jesurun DX-05
    MK888
    CS918

They are available from such purveyors as Geekbuying and Aliexpress, and there are several on eBay:
    http://www.*********/itm/Google-Andr...item2a2ff7d6f4

The K-R42 incarnation got some glowing reviews on Geekbuying:
    Customer Reviews - K-R42 Quad Core Google Android 4.2.2 RK3188 28nm Cortex-A9 1.6Ghz Mini TV BOX HDMI HDD Player 2G/8G External Wifi Antenna Ethernet Port with IR Remote Controller-Black

But what's interesting is that all of these boxes come from a single assembly plant - Shenzhen Tena Electronics.

(They're called Tena these days, but they started out as Turner Electronics)

In this video tour of the factory, you can get a glimpse of hundreds of these boxes being tested and burnt-in prior to shipment.
    http://armdevices.net/2013/09/03/she...-factory-tour/

After setting up my Hossen box, the first thing I installed from the Google Play Store was the Antutu benchmark. My score: 18222.

Youtube and Netflix were next, and the quality is excellent. Video files on my local USB flash drive and on my home network play well.

Has anybody else here had any experience with these RK3188-based boxes?

• Like Like x 4
  14. CatfishRivers

Thanks for your feedback. One thing I wanted to mention is that I believe the Rockchip 3188 processor currently does not support hardware acceleration for XBMC.

15. jschall

jschall Member

Here is what I found about Rockchip and XBMC:

"Android has a universal system for video decoding called libstagefright this is what general XBMC for Android uses.

Not all chipsets and accompanying builds of Android support libstagefright, Rockchip does but only to a degree and bugs/issues in their libstagefright implementation can break video decoding on XBMC. Rockchip are aware of this but whether they will fix it I don't know (that's what I last read on the situation).

The various media players on Android app store often sign private agreements to get access to the hardware bypassing libstagefright but that is something XBMC will never do as it goes against open source."

I am running the official release of XBMC on my RK3188 box, with the internal player, and I have not run into problems (yet).

16. alexandrbatl

alexandrbatl New Member

MINIX works well (I we? Two days out). Wi-Fi works well! Ease of management and upgrades, a very convenient It runs Android 4 + good image and video processing HDMI compatible and regular A / V is also wireless keyboard and mouse worked flawlessly. I only use the remote control to turn on and off. Instead, I'll use a wireless mouse and it works perfect. Not as warm as some of them noticed on the old version. The picture and sound are fine. Made of metal with ventilation under making heat disappear in the proper order. http://www.china-prices.com/tvbox/5927/jesurun-m8/