Quantcast

Set time notification keeps popping up

Discussion in 'Google TV Help' started by rosebudster, Jul 12, 2012.

1. rosebudster

rosebudster New Member

I have a Sony Google TV. I only want to use it as a TV ... don't need any of the Internet features. I got it because it is the only large flatscreen that fits in my shelf.

My issue is that every time I turn the TV on and then intermittently throughout my viewing, a message pops up saying that the time is wrong. I spent about 30 minutes with the Sony telephone tech and basically he told me to "uncheck" the box at the top that says "automatically detect the time.". That does not work. I disconnected Wifi and now I get a message about that, too!

Does anyone know how I can stop these annoying messages and just use the TV like a regular TV .. no Wifi and no messages about the time not being correct.

Many thanks!!

2. trallyus

trallyus Active Member

After you unchecked the automatically detect the time box , did you set the time to the correct time? Also you may need to set your tv settings to fast start up mode so that when you turn it off it does not turn off all the way and keeps the time set .

3. rosebudster

rosebudster New Member

Thanks so very much for your response, trallyus. When the Sony phone tech was trying to help me the first thing he did was have me unplug the TV and then plug it back in. Of course this took about 10 minutes because the TV is plugged in to the cable box and it had to re-boot. But I think that unplugging the TV was done to re-set the time, because when I went to uncheck the box, the time was correct.

I wonder if the issue is occurring because my TV is plugged in to the cable box so they will be turned on together and I can use one remote for everything. I had it set up this way primarily so that I can use the Time-Warner TV timer from the cable box and my TV will completely turn off at night when I'm sleeping. I don't know if the Google TV has a timer ?? I do have it set for a faster start-up but because it is plugged in to the cable box the start up takes about a minute.

I have a small Google TV in my kitchen and it is not plugged in to the cable box and interestingly ... I have never had this "time message" issue ...

Any further thoughts on this would be appreciated. For some reason that pop-up is really annoying!!

Last edited: Jul 14, 2012
  4. trallyus

trallyus Active Member

Here is what Sony suggests - View Document

Pasted - in case the link fowls up -
    The date and time information is based on your region information and is updated automatically through the Network. However, if you want to manually modify the date and time information do the following:

• Turn on the Internet TV device.
    • On the keypad remote control, press the Fn +1 buttons at the same time to display the Settings menu.
    • Press the down arrow to select Date, time & location .
    • Press the ENTER button.
    • Press the ENTER button again to select Automatic . NOTE: When the check mark next to Automatic is green, date and time information is updated automatically from the Internet. When there is no check mark, you can make manual changes to the date and time.
    • Press the down arrow to select the desired date or time options.
    • Press the ENTER button.
    • Use the arrow keys to set the date or time.
    By the way, they say that you should plug the tv directly in to the wall outlet and so it always has power and not something like a cable box or something that will turn the tv off when not in use so double check how the tv is plugged in. By the way, if you lose power to your house or tv expect that set time pop up as that always happens to mean when we lose power or the daylight savings time goes in to effect.

• Like Like x 2
  5. rosebudster

rosebudster New Member

Many thanks! I decided to just unplug the Google TV from my cablebox and plugged it directly in to the power strip. I have had no trouble with my other one that is plugged in that way. I knew they didn't recommend it but I so enjoy going to sleep to the TV and having it turn off after a couple hours. I looked at the sleep timer that the TV has and can't figure it out. I hate to say it but I do find the Google TV to not be very intuitive. I got to the clock in the sleep timer section but can't figure out how to set it. I am usually pretty good at things like this! But this TV has been a challenge to say the least.

I really appreciate all your help very much!! (PS I had to remove your link in the quote in the reply. I don't have 10 posts yet and can't have links --- even if they are not mine and are just quoted, apparently!)

6. trallyus

trallyus Active Member

The easiest way to get the sleep time up is press the magnifying glass on the remote and type in timer and then go to sleep timer and set it anywhere from 15 minutes to 2 hours. This will supposedly shut the tv down after that time you set is up.

• Like Like x 4
  7. rosebudster

rosebudster New Member

Thanks so much! I think I (finally) have it now! When I went to the Timer app I didn't realize there was a "Timer" and then in small letters below that was "Sleep Timer"... I see now that the "timer" is not the "sleep timer". So anyway, I finally figured it out and saw where the "sleep timer" is an got it to work, I think!!

All in all, I think it will be a better experience not being plugged in to the cable box. If nothing else, not having to wait a minute every time I turn the TV on is already a good thing!!

Your help has been invaluable!! Thank you!!!