Quantcast

Seriously thinking of getting gtv, a few questions.....

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions & Site Assistance' started by jaystekan, Jul 31, 2011.

1. jaystekan

jaystekan New Member

Hi all. First off, let me introduce myself. My name is Jay. The Ar,y will be moving my family and I to Germany soon, and Google tv seems like it may be a good item to have with us. I am an Motorola Xoom tablet user, and am a fan of Google, Android, and their related products. Anyway. now on to my questions. We currently have a Roku box, but rarely use it, in fact I don;t even think it's plugged in. One of the reasons we never use Roku is it's horrible remote and interface. We have Netflix, Amazon prime, and had Hulu plus. We also have Dish network, but unfortunately Dish will not work in Germany. So, what does Google Tv have/do that roku doesn't? I much prefer the keyboard interface over the pathetic Rokuy remote. Is the internet experience on GTV similiar to internet on a computer(unlimited), or is it limited to certain sites that are GTV optimized? GTV apps? Is there an app store that I can look at prior to buying GTV? I tried searching for one, but had no luck. Can GTV connect directly to a tv, or must it go through a reciever or slingbox? Is it worth getting over roku or appletv?

Thanks all for your help.

2. trallyus

trallyus Active Member

Here is the google spotlight that Google TV's use Spotlight Gallery - Google TV

I would keep the roku since at the moment Hulu and Hulu Plus do not work on google tv :(

I forgot to say The browser on Google TV is not a full Chrome Browser - They have it pretty locked down at the moment so it won't allow you to add plugins and stuff you may need for some sites.

Also depending what model of google tv you get you'll need a newer tv with HDMI ports to hook it up if you buy one of the boxes and not an actual tv set that comes with HDMI

Last edited: Jul 31, 2011
  3. CatfishRivers

CatfishRivers Well-Known Member

I would say the big difference between Roku and Google TV is that Google TV has a web browser. Thus you can go to just about any web site on the internet - except as trallyus mentioned some sites such as Hulu and the major television networks are blocking Google TV. Also right now Google TV primarily only streams internet videos in Flash format - the Windows streaming formats for the most part don't work. Hopefully after the 3.1 update Google TV be able to stream videos in Windows formats. There is a thread on this forum called "Project Free TV" where we posted links to some sites that have videos that can be streamed for free with Google TV.

4. jaystekan

jaystekan New Member

I was looking at getting the Logitech revue, our tv has hdmi input. Hulu plus isn;t really a huge issue, we have it, but never use it since our Roku isn't even plugged in. The web browser is a big plus over Roku. I was mainly concerned about the browsing experience of GTV vs a Laptop/desktop.

5. trallyus

trallyus Active Member

From time to time there is lag as well on a google tv and mine tends to forget passwords to some sites I have bookmarked. If you look through the forums you'll see some of the stuff google tv users complain about. Also a lot of people complain about flash crashing a lot as well. Can't think of anything else but if you check out the rest of the forums you'll see what people are having trouble with.

6. CatfishRivers

CatfishRivers Well-Known Member

The Revue is only $99 now. Why don't you buy one and test it out for a week or two - and then if you don't like it just return it for a refund.