Quantcast

Serious Question

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Discussion' started by vetvito, Jan 10, 2012.

1. vetvito

vetvito New Member

HDTV with no HD content? Why do people do that?

Why spend all of your hard earned cash on a HDTV only to destroy the experience with a Coax cable?

I just don't understand it, you might as well stick with a tube TV, and save your money.

Someone please enlighten me.

Sent from my Nexus S using Tapatalk

2. eferz

eferz Well-Known Member

Sorry, I am not sure that I understand the question. The coax cable has plenty of bandwidth to spare to carry hundreds of HDTV channels. How do you think most cable and satellite providers get the signal to you? Unless you have FiOS delivered then there is going to be either an RG5 or RG6 cable somewhere between you and the original transmission.

3. donc13

donc13 Member

I agree with efrez. Coax is a perfectly suitable way to pass HD signals around.

What doesn't make sense is once you have demodulated an HD signal, is why you would take that demodulated and remodulate it onto an analog carrier on channel 3 or 4

Sent from my ADR6400L using Tapatalk

4. vetvito

vetvito New Member

I'm talking about non HD channels, you know grainy TV.

5. eferz

eferz Well-Known Member

Well, not every channel has a high-definition alternative. Even with Time Warner Cable, I have far more selection in standard definition than high definition channels. I happen to be lucky in the fact that all the content I watch is available in HD. But, for some people it can be a matter of what is available to them and this could be due to a regional or financial limitation.

• Like Like x 2
  6. Boomn4x4

Boomn4x4 New Member

All of you basic network TV networks broadcast in HD, and you can get it through coax.

Honestly, even though I do have an HD cable box, its rare that I watch anything that isn't on ABC, CBS, NBC, or Fox... and all of those are available in HD through coax. I really only have it for dvr and on demand.

Sent from my Ally using Tapatalk

7. vetvito

vetvito New Member

See in my region, its all digital only. So in order to watch any television you must have a box. No free channels except the Spanish only channel and its not HD.

The little box doesn't do HD. My best friend has this $4,000 TV with a non HD box, that doesn't make sense.

Every single channel except the local advertising channel is HD over here.

Xfinity and Uverse are the major players here.

4,000 big ones just to watch grainy TV doesn't make sense.

......edit

Even the the boxes that support HD but don't offer a HDMI output connection suck. It totally destroys the picture.

Last edited: Jan 11, 2012
  8. vetvito

vetvito New Member

Another question, I have the GTV in the living room and now I'm considering something for my bedroom. Should I go with another GTV (revue) or should I go the jail broken Apple TV route?

Thanks for the input.

9. Boomn4x4

Boomn4x4 New Member

What region?

The network TV stations broadcast HD over the air... don't even need a coax line. I have a home on an island where cable television physically doesn't exist. I pick up abc, CBS, NBC, fox and a few other stations in HD with just an indoor antenna.

Sent from my Ally using Tapatalk

10. smartin737

smartin737 New Member

Continuing the off-topic tilt... there IS more over-the-air (OTA) content than you may realize out there.

I'm in the suburbs south of Houston, and when I dropped cable I was SHOCKED with how many HD broadcast channels there are flying around us all. I bought a $60 antenna, and I get over 25 DIFFERENT broadcasts in English and over 15 in foreign languages. Granted, most of it is third-tier (or lower) stuff, but it's out there.

I didn't know most broadcast networks now also transmit sub-channels with different content. I've deleted the Spanish-speaking channels from my guide, but in English, the local NBC station is channel 2. It is broadcast OTA digitally as channel 2.1. It ALSO transmits a channel 2.2 with different content (mainly reruns, etc...). Similarly, the CBS channel has one "sub-channel." PBS has three, ABC three, etc... The TBN Christian network has 4 separate English language channels within channel 14. There's an ION TV network with 3 channels within channel 49. Melineium Broadcasting transmits on at least 7 sub-frequencies within channel 43 (some are duplicates, and as far as I've seen it seems to be all either really low-quality, dated content, or in a foreign language, or both!).

Steve

Logitech Revue (since Dec 2011)
    Trying OTA (over-the-air broadcast) instead of cable or satellite (Dec 2011)
    TiVo lifetime (since 1999-ish in various boxes)-- Currently have S4HD, S3HD, and another of some kind in a box somewhere
    Samsung LN25B550 HD TV (Dec 2009?)
    Slingbox Solo (2000)
    Boeing 737 (2001)
    Sony AV Recvr
    DN1010 (summer 2011)
    Android stuff: Huawei S7 (7
    " tablet) (Jan 2011); Acer Iconia A100 (7" tablet) (Nov 2011); LG G2X phone(Aug 2011)

11. eferz

eferz Well-Known Member

Most televisions come with built-in ATSC/QAM tuners which can tune in high-definition channels if they have access to them. If your friend is using an over the air antenna, maybe you could be more helpful by showing internet resources to help him tune his channels better. Instead of you know, talking about him and his particular situation behind his back. There are some great resources at AntennaWeb or AntennaPoint.com which can help him tune in better a picture. Here's a couple of examples for your general vicinity.

That would depend on your available content. I see Apple TV more of an extension of Apple's iTunes and iOS ecosystem than an independent media streamer. The moment you rent or buy movies from the iTunes store, you're stuck in with their propitiatory services to play it. This can be a good thing if you already have other iOS devices at your disposal. Not so much if you don't.

12. vetvito

vetvito New Member

An antenna is out of the question. We leave in apartments with strict rules. I'm in Memphis btw.

Nothing OTA works and only the Spanish channel works with just the cable plugged in.

I may get my parents an Antenna, as they too watch grainy TV.

Thanks for the insights.

13. eferz

eferz Well-Known Member

Why would an antenna be out of the question? There are plenty of indoor HD antennas which I don't believe even the strictest of property management companies can prevent you from owning or using. Mounting one outside might be a different story. And actually, in my home the outdoor HD antenna which came with the Tivo Premiere from the BestBuy combo deal is mounted in my attic not outside.

Nice. I live in Austin. Though it is an amazing coincidence those screenshots I posted are for Memphis. ;)

14. vetvito

vetvito New Member

See didn't know about the indoor antenna. Thanks

15. sparkyscott21

sparkyscott21 Moderator Staff Member

If I every tried an indoor ant. I would get nothing...

We have a 75 foot tower that barely picked up 2 sometimes 3 channels when I was growing up here.. Stations were to far away,
    and cable didn't even come out around here til I was out of highschool in the late '70's, or more likely the earlier to mid 80's....

16. smartin737

smartin737 New Member

I do not believe you.
    Be warned, guys. Eferz is watching, and HE KNOWS! :eek:
    Steve

17. donc13

donc13 Member

I use a Terk amplified INDOOR antenna ($90 at BestBuy) and receive stations that are over 40 miles away. It's about the size of a piece of paper and less than an inch thick. You do not need an outdoor antenna. All TV's sold in the US since 2008 (I believe that's the date) are required to have digital tuners. No "box" needed for over the air receptiom.

Sent from my Xoom using Tapatalk