Quantcast

Serenity App won't delete

Discussion in 'Vizio Co-Star' started by midwaybrit, Mar 25, 2013.

1. midwaybrit

midwaybrit New Member

I purchased the new Serenity app for Google TV yesterday and it installed but won't go beyond the "Settings', tried all the fixes in the forums and nothing works. So thought I would delete if from the CoStar and reinstall it, except unlike all the other apps, it won't delete using the CoStar instructions. It just doesn't respond. Is there any other way, apart from resetting the box that I can get rid of it ..... ?

2. CatfishRivers

CatfishRivers Well-Known Member

I have the Logitech Revue and I use the ES File Explorer app to delete some downloads and apps on my Revue.

3. Wisdom

Wisdom New Member

I never trusted that app, I tested it during the beta period, it messed my Plex setttings up real bad ... I recommend you doing a hard reset fast as you can ....

4. trallyus

trallyus Active Member

I uninstalled it by doing the following - Open up google play store with the google tv and up in the top corner of the store is an arrow pointing down with a line under it. Click the arrow and choose all or installed and find serenity and click uninstall.

You can also remove it by going to all apps and put your square over the serenity app to highlight it and long press your controller button and choose uninstall application that way too.

I noticed it does not get removed if you try removing it using the https://play.google.com/apps webpage so I will report that to the programmer. I am assuming that is how you tried removing as I tried that first and it only removed it from the web page and not the google tv.

By the way, did you pick your server at the top of the settings on serenity as I have 2 servers and it found both of them and I had to pick which one I wanted it to use.

Last edited: Mar 25, 2013
  5. Wisdom

Wisdom New Member

6. trallyus

trallyus Active Member

I think the beta part of the app is done with Wisdom as I never messed with the beta and just recently installed the app from the google store and have it and both regular plex for google tv and plex pass for google tv installed along with serenity app and other then the bug I talked about, it's a pretty good app for direct streaming movies and tv from either a computer or nas with plex installed.

I have not tried it yet with the new plex pass server update they released today as I have yet to try it out with that.

• Like Like x 2
  7. Wisdom

Wisdom New Member

I just installed new Plexpass plex server 0.9.7.18, sweet thus far ... I just don't trust that app anymore ..(l0l)

8. trallyus

trallyus Active Member

No Problem. If you read the original post that started this thread you will notice that the user does not know how to select the plex media server using the program and that is why they want to remove it in the first place. They think that it is supposed to work like the plex apps from the plex developers which it does not do.

There technically is no need to uninstall the app to fix it like he thinks that will do as he should have tried opening the settings menu and selecting his plex media server and then press the back button to fix his problem as uninstalling it and reinstalling it wont do diddly (lol)

Seems the problem is user error (lol)

9. Wisdom

Wisdom New Member

It really messed my Plex settings up real bad, it took me awhile to get everything back to normal ... Like you said, it was doing the beta period that might had something to do with it ...

• Like Like x 2
  10. kingargyle

kingargyle New Member

Wisdom, instead of spreading FUD, how about reporting bugs on Serenity's project web site. There is no way it can mess with your existing Plex app settings as it doesn't even touch those. It maintains it's own settings, and has no access to the other apps settings. As for geting items from the Plex Media Server it relies on the READ api, and only uses the update api for the watched and progress portions.

If you have specific problems, use the GitHub issue reporting system to report bugs, and I'll work on addressing them, but bashing the app isn't cool unless you have reported bugs to the project so we can address them. There are plenty of people using it without problems. If you just like the official Plex app, that is cool. But as was stated Beta items tend to have problems, and we rely on the user community for us to report them to us and address them.

https://github.com/NineWorlds/serenity-android/issues?milestone=10&state=open

As for the Delete issue. Not sure why it won't delete for some people, as it isn't doing anything weird. The way I know works consistently, is to go into the Settings->Manage Applications and find Serenity and uninstall it that way.

Again if anybody is having issues, and have steps to reproduce them, please open an Issue with the project so we can address it. The source code is available as well so if anybody wants to help fix issues by submitting a patch, please do so. I try to keep things open as possible so the community and users know what is happening with the app at any particular point in time.

BTW, I did eventually get MidwayBrit running with Serenity through and email conversation, he is very happy with the app now.

Dave

Last edited: Mar 31, 2013
    • Like Like x 4
  11. midwaybrit

midwaybrit New Member

OK, for those that blamed the fact that I could not delete Serenity down to user error...it wasn't. I know how to delete apps in my Vizio perfectly well.
    As it turned out thanks to Dave's help, I didn't need to delete it anyway. I use Serenity every night and love it. It's by far the best UI for Plex on Google TV to date. Plus their customer service is top notch.

• Like Like x 6
  12. trallyus

trallyus Active Member

Dave,
    I posted exact steps to reproduce the problem. Open up the google web app page while your logged in your your account with your computer at https://play.google.com/apps and it will show you the list of apps you have on your google tv. Find the "serenity for google tv" on the list of apps and click the trash can to uninstall the app from your google tv.

Now look at the google tv list of apps on the actual google tv and you will see the "serenity for google tv" app still on the actual google tv app.

Most apps can be removed by removing them remotely like I described in paragraph one but yours does not get removed when you do this. I think that is why some people are saying they can't delete your program. I reported the exact steps to reproduce this on google plus but you must not have seen my steps on how to reproduce the problem or you did not see my message to you.

That is the only problem I have had with it so far as you already fixed past issues and went above and beyond in squashing bugs I reported previously.

13. kingargyle

kingargyle New Member

Yeah. I saw the steps just haven't reproduced it yet or can find a reason it wouldn't un install as it does nothing I can tell that would cause the Web un install from working. Until I can find a cause for the problem not much I can do except recommend people uninstall from the device through application settings. That seems to always remove it.

• Like Like x 2
  14. trallyus

trallyus Active Member

Thanks for looking in to the problem. Can't wait to see how you add podcasts in to the program as I think you mentioned it as a possibility.

15. kingargyle

kingargyle New Member

Yes, netcast (Podcasts and Videocasts) are in the planning stages. Plex doesn't natively support these well, so looking at various ways to integrate and store the items in the cloud to allow syncing of the playlists and feeds across multiple devices. We'll probably start with just basic support first and evolve it from there.