Quantcast

Search dosn't find my DLNA content <-- Is this a new feature suggestion?

Discussion in 'Google TV Major Issues' started by CircusDad, Dec 22, 2010.

1. CircusDad

CircusDad New Member

I have a networked media server that has all my home movies as well as digital copies of my DVD's (YES- DVD's that I own legally and outright).

Anyway, to play any of these (that are in a supported format) I have to go to the media player scroll though a bunch of menus to find them and then play them. Isn't it reasonable that GoogleTV would search/catalog the content on connected DLNA sources such that I could simply hit the search button and then begin to type it and then one click later be watching it. This would be WAY easier and go a long way toward convincing my wife that Google TV is a good idea.

If there is a settings/toggle somewhere I need to toggle to have this happen please point me in the right direction (I have the Sony blu ray set top box). If it is truly not an existing function that I have just not found then I guess it is a feature request. When I do a search any local copies should be the first default option before any netfix or AOD options appear.

2. TheSanTechnologist

TheSanTechnologist New Member

The issue is the GoogleTV hardware doesn't have internal storage for indexing your DLNA content at this time. I can see this being something in the future with the release of the APP market, and maybe support for USB HDDs for content storage.

I spoke too soon about GoogleTV devices in general. THe Logitech Revue seems to have the option of including Media Server content in the Searchable Items. You might have the same feature on your Sony device. If you go into settings-->Search>>Searchable items see if you can add Media Player (on the Revue it is called "Logitech Media Player)

Might be a feature of the Revue only since Logitech released it's own Media Player App for the platform.

Last edited: Dec 22, 2010
  3. CircusDad

CircusDad New Member

Thanks TheSan. That is exactly what I wanted to know (even if I don't like the answer). Now I am really bummed though. It seems like such a core GoogleTV capability and yet 'media player" isn't an option on my Sony system. I really hope they fix this in the next update. Part of what I hoped to get with google TV was a way to change between my media server, Disk player, and DVR without having to mess with tv input issues and/or AV receiver input issues. In all fairness, the sony blu ray did accomplish that. However, somehow all the menu clicks it take to get to the file I need seems clunky when sitting on a couch and makes me forget the 2 or 3 tv/AV input clicks I avoided. Heres hoping they add media search to the next Sony media player update. It seems like such a core function. Is there an official feature request forum somewhere?

4. alphawave7

alphawave7 Moderator Staff Member

We do have a hardware-specific forum..and we could add a Features Request subforum for each piece of hardware...in the interim, one could also post using '[Feature Request] Media Server Improvements' or similar as thread title. If/when a subforum emerges, we can find these titles and move them quickly. :)

5. JimMariner

JimMariner Member

I added this section in response to the topic here.

Google TV Feature Wish Lists

Go make your dream lists !! have fun, try to keep it realistic.

6. srramalot

srramalot New Member

I'm SO GLAD someone else is blown away by this. THE, search engine doesn't let me search my DLNA content...WHY?!! Sony needs to fix this, NOW