Quantcast

SD Card or USB?

Discussion in 'Google TV Apps' started by guest, Dec 15, 2012.

1. guest

guest Active Member

So I've got an application that allows me to download MP3 music.
    And I can connect/disconnect a USB to a Google TV (Logitech Revue).
    We have an SD Card as part of out Google TV. Can we connect/disconnect this SD Card like a USB?
    I've downloaded some music before to GTV; it went to the SD Card.
    I've just purchased a USB 16GB. How do I direct an MP3 download to the USB and not to the SD Card???

2. ChrisG8

ChrisG8 Well-Known Member

I don't know what app you are talking about to be able to know whether or not it can download music to the USB drive. If it downloads music files to internal storage and you want the files on a USB drive, I suspect you would need to transfer the files from internal flash storage to USB drive. You can connect and disconnect a USB drive to the Logitech Revue, we discussed the method for that in another thread. I don't know of an app to transfer files from internal flash storage to USB drive.

3. guest

guest Active Member

I know that with the Mitty application, the developer requires the user to connect a USB device for the application to function. I haven't used this USB with Mitty yet, but I suspect any downloads when using that app go directly to the connected USB device.

My only experience with a USB device connected to the Revue is with an "iPod Shuffle". Apple has screwed around with the technology such that you CANNOT place non-iTune-store MP3's into it - unlike other MP3 players. You must first place them into a separate folder (i.e. within Copy Trans Manager - this program was specifically designed to solve the problem that exists with iPod's. Unfortunately, it wasn't designed for Android platforms).

So if media can be downloaded directly to a USB device on the Revue with the Mitty app, shouldn't it be able to be done with other apps? Or is that a build decision of each app developer?

So, on the Revue, if I can't remove the SD Card in order to transfer a (downloaded) file on it - from an external location, like a cybercafe. And if I can't download a file directly to a USB (except with Mitty). And if I can't connect a USB to the Revue for the purpose of transferring a file on the SD Card to the connected USB, then wtf? Then we're all in the wilderness with this device - as far as modern computer technology is concerned. And being used as guinea pigs by Google to "beta" a dysfunctional device!

4. guest

guest Active Member

I also posted this query to the Logitech forum. This is the reply: "Our Logitech Revue does not support any type of downloading, except from the Google Play Store. If you are using a Third-Party App that allow you to download any type of document, music, pictures etc will be under your own risk."

Why is Logitech so afraid to acknowledge the capabilities of the device that they created, and to not readily give assistance to the users that purchased their product??? After all, the question was in regards to a function that is commonly performed on computers! The act of downloading off the internet to a USB device hasn't been outlawed to the best of my knowledge. At least, not yet.