Quantcast

Screen always black after update?

Discussion in 'Logitech Revue' started by tha5150, Jan 5, 2012.

1. tha5150

tha5150 New Member

hey everyone, kinda new here.

Just got this 2 months ago and now that i installed the update, the screen is always black when i turn it on the next morning or evening after watching a movie before bed the night before.

also, i have to press the menu button and close Netflix and re open. this is the only way i can do anything.. other than pressing the home button. even when i press the home button i have to close Netflix.

lastly, when i press the home button, i only get the icons on the bottom and rest of the screen is black. this is odd. before, i would see a list on the left, go right and move around, etc etc.

i know this is a new software but i think i may need to re install it completely and start fresh. does this sound right?

2. revue5

revue5 Well-Known Member

• Check Screen off timeout (set to Never) - from Settings menu.
    • Check if its not in "TV mode".
    • Add "Wall Paper" from Home Screen: >"Customize home items".
    • Apps stay in background (normal).
    • Closing Apps is optional - but I recommend it .

See tips page below,

See --> Tip: Black Screen at start & after reboots

Good Luck!

Last edited: Jan 5, 2012
  3. eferz

eferz Well-Known Member

Most likely Netflix is still open and the screensaver has kicked in. The Logitech Revue doesn't actually turn off. It just blanks the screen to avoid burn in and to reduce the amount of electricity is uses. After powering on the TV press either the [Enter] button [Ok], or [Space] bar then hold down [Esc] or [GTV Back] button down until you see an dialog box prompting whether or not you want to Exit Netflix.

That is the new UI layout of the Android 3.1 (Honeycomb) update.

I don't think it is necessary. However, if you want to perform a factory reset then you can go into GTV Settings > Privacy & security > Factory Reset. But, it sounds like to me you're just unfamiliar with the new interface.

4. tha5150

tha5150 New Member

definartly unfamiliar, dont use it much. but it seems sort of dumb that when i turn the tv on, the black screen is there, i move the mouse and it has the circle with the line through it. fine whatever... but then i have to press the menu screen to see icons on the bottom. its like i am always choosing one application to use at once. why not have the icons on the left and can scroll through like before and not just one at a time? i feel like 90% of the features were removed and i was only given the market as a new feature...

maybe its juts me.

5. eferz

eferz Well-Known Member

You're right. It is dumb. It does not know that you've turned on the television. That's why you still see a blank screen. The pointer replacement is a good indication that you're still in the Netflix app. Especially, since that's one of the apps which the mouse is not used. If you want to avoid the sceen blanking then go into GTV Settings > Picture & sound > Screen saver > Never and GTV Settings > Picture & sound > Screen off timeout > Never.

Those are just UI changes which Google decided to make. The new layout increases the ability for the customer to customize the home screen. Sorry, you feel like its a step back. Hopefully, once you become more familiar with the new interface you'll appreciate it more.

6. halox

halox New Member

The new UI is (for me) an incredible improvement. I love almost all of the upgrades.

The only thing I (really, really) don't like is the new Picture-In-Picture pop-up. The old way was, in my opinion, perfect. Now there's a lot of clicking and pressing and moving and annoyance.