Quantcast

Scoop: Less Than 1M Google TV Devices In Use

Discussion in 'Google TV General Discussion' started by CatfishRivers, Feb 28, 2012.

1. CatfishRivers

CatfishRivers Well-Known Member

Scoop: Less than 1M Google TV devices in use — Online Video News (click for full article)

"It's widely known Google TV hasn't exactly been a success story. Early CE partner Logitech lost millions on the device, and consumer feedback was mostly negative after the first devices reached the market in late 2010. But how many of Logitech's Revue boxes and Sony's Google TV devices are actually being used by consumers? The answer is less than a million, according information hidden in Google's own data. Also interesting: Logitech's Revue set-top box makes up more than half of those devices.

Google and its partners have never said how many Google TV devices were bought by consumers since the platform's debut, but the company said in the past that device activations have doubled since the Google TV 2.0 software update late last year. A Google spokesperson declined to comment on any numbers for this story. However, there are some very useful clues hidden within Google's Android Market statistics: Google publishes ballpark numbers about each and every app's active install base - the number of devices an app is installed on right now - as part of its Market app pages.

Google TV comes with a number of pre-installed apps, which are also listed on the Android Market. One example of this is the TV and Movies app, which is basically Google TV's programming guide - an essential part of the Google TV experience that most users wouldn't dare to delete from their machines. The active install base for this app, according to Google's Android Market, currently is 500,000 to 1 million. The same is true for all the other apps that come pre-installed with Google TV, which suggests that the number of Google TV devices that are currently being used by consumers is less than 1 million.

This data is supported by findings from Xyologic, which recently estimated that the install base for various preinstalled apps ranges from around 600,000 to 900,000 devices. I asked Xyologic co-founder Matthäus Krzykowski how the company gathers its data, and he told me that it estimates the install base of apps based on a number of data points, and usually only sees error margins of a few percentage points."

Last edited: Feb 28, 2012
  2. CatfishRivers

I think that the positive news from the article was that sales of the Logitech Revue started to take off when the price was slashed to $99.

So moving forward with the next generation of GTV boxes (to be manufactured with ARM chips) - the $99 price point seems to be the sweet spot. IMO this price should be attainable because the ARM chips are less expensive than the Intel chips. I think a $99 GTV box will sell quite well in the market.

The prices for the full GTV televisions will be another matter - as it was mentioned that the upcoming LG and Samsung models will be "premium televisions". The Vizio GTV televisions will probably be more reasonably priced IMO.

3. CatfishRivers

I came across this article that had some interesting comments about the Sony GTV products:

Less than 1 million Google TV's out there - but why so few?

From the article: "We have seen Logitech give up on this platform, and Sony is not producing any new Google TV devices. Reliable inside sources have previously told us that some new Sony Google TV's were set to come to the market, with the product almost ready for production.

But the Japanese manufacturer decided to give up on that project, and just bring a Google TV 2.0 update to its current iterations. Said TVs never came to light, and prototypes were destroyed after the decision was made. The matter is now in the past, and no longer relevant to the consumer, as the product will never be released. "

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I had never heard this mentioned before. However I do believe that the article is referring to full Sony televisions with GTV baked in. This is because at CES Sony announced they will be releasing a new GTV box and blu-ray player (probably over the summer).

Last edited: Mar 8, 2012
  4. arrowheadtech

arrowheadtech New Member

I've had a Logitech Revue since February of 2011. I bought the Sony blu-ray player recently as well. Google TV is a great platform with a lot of potential and new apps arriving for it on Google Play (previously the market) regularly. It hasn't been marketed well though in my opinion. This is similar to my experience with Google Music. There were some announcements about it and beta invites sent out, but Google wasn't aggressive enough with marketing it. It's a great platform and I think people will come around to it eventually as I have, it's just a slow burn instead of a large marketing campaign with a lot of rapid adoption. If what Google says is true about the platform coming pre-installed on a majority of TVs being shipped in the 2nd half of this year, then it will ultimately dominate the smart TV market.

5. sst45jeff

sst45jeff New Member

This tells me that blocking Google TV from HULU & the networks is kind of ridiculous & extreme on there part considering the number of users of Google TV right now.
    Like I said before - just a bunch of spoiled kids on the playground upset because Google thought of it first.

6. ChrisG8

ChrisG8 Well-Known Member

If Logitech only manufactured a half million Revues, I am not really understanding how the company lost the $50 million claimed. Maybe the company lost $100 average on each unit sold?

7. CatfishRivers

IMO Eric Schmidt was blowing hot air (or delusional) when he said the majority of TVs will come with GTV installed by the second half of the year.

In fact Samsung just announced their 2012 line of televisions - and from what I could see I didn't see one single Google TV on the list. (Samsung did announce a few months ago that they would release a high-end GTV by the end of the year). But it still remains to be seen if they will really do it - plus with the first round of GTV hardware we saw that "high-end" priced GTV devices sold poorly.

Samsung is the biggest TV manufacturer - so if their was any validity to Eric Schmidt's proclamation (about GTV being on the majority of sets by the second half of the year) - then shouldn't we at least see a few GTV models on the Samsung 2012 TV model list???? Here's the list:

Samsung 2012 TVs get pricing and release dates (hands-on) | TV and Home Theater - CNET Reviews

8. trallyus

trallyus Active Member

The reason why google tvs are not catching on other then to us techies is most tv watchers want something simple. I showed my mom the sony google tv remote and she was thinking it's too complicated.

Heck I bought them a samsung tv that has access to the internet and they never use the net part of the tv. I personally love both tvs and it makes me mad to see it get peed on by most reviewers due to it not catching on like wildfire.

I saw a video that has yet to be posted that google plans on dumbing down the interface to appease the non techies at Andy Plesser: Video: Google TV Focuses on User Experience in Reboot if any one wants to check it out.

I just hope we first adopters don't get messed over by them dumbing down our experiance or stopping the updates when the newer models come out.