Quantcast

Schmidt Reckons Most TVs Will Have Google TV By Mid-2012

Discussion in 'Google TV General Discussion' started by CatfishRivers, Dec 7, 2011.

1. CatfishRivers

CatfishRivers Well-Known Member

Schmidt Reckons Most TVs Will Have Google TV By Mid-2012 | paidContent:UK (click for full article)

"What with self-driving cars and such, Eric Schmidt is not averse to some blue-sky thinking. But one new prediction may be a moonshot too far.

"By the summer of 2012, the majority of the televisions you see in stores will have Google (NSDQ: GOOG) TV embedded in it," Schmidt said on stage at the Le Web conference.

The whole connected TV space will explode in 2012, as more new TVs ship with internet connectivity, bringing new content services to the living room. The on-screen gateway to that room is up for grabs."

2. Cygnus

Cygnus New Member

That is some good sh!t he is smoking. GTV will be a niche product at best. Most HDTVs are already "connected", via cable/sat, consoles, STB, etc.

3. CatfishRivers

CatfishRivers Well-Known Member

Google's Eric Schmidt sees Google TV embedded in most new TVs by summer of 2012 -- Engadget (click for full article)

"Google big dog Eric Schmidt covered a lot of ground in his onstage interview at Le Web this year, but it wasn't all about iOS vs. Ice Cream Sandwich.

It appears that Big G has big plans for Google TV, and the Executive Chairman foresees the platform proliferating to the point that "most" new televisions will have it embedded by the summer of 2012 -- that rumored switch from x86 to ARM must be going well.

That strikes us as an awfully lofty goal given it's light market penetration thus far, but with Samsung still on board the Google gravy train and others waiting in the wings, Schmidt just may be right. However, until we see just how many sets are packing Google TV at CES, our skepticism remains -- check the interview itself and another video after the break that encapsulates just how we feel on the matter. "

Le Web 2011: Eric Schmidt
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=t02iJn5Ypio#!

Last edited: Dec 7, 2011
  4. Gnarld

Gnarld New Member

Schmidt seems kind of nuts making this statement, but they do have some more GTV hardware to announce in the near future.

5. mcd2000

mcd2000 Active Member

Funny guy. ;) With such speed of OS development and such number of new announced products and these x86toARM switching...

6. ChrisG8

ChrisG8 Well-Known Member

I do have other boxes with internet access connected to HDTVs, TiVos and Blu-ray players, but I use Google TV almost exclusively for that purpose and think it is far away the most useful streaming I have seen or read about. With considerable resources behind Google TV with Sony, Google, Samsung and the other companies, I see it as the most likely among the many competitors to get traction in the marketplace for streaming internet video. I am not sure how you are so certain it won't eventually do well. If 50% of new HDTVs on store shelves by this time next year include Google TV that would surprise me but I sure don't see it as impossible, especially if the new Google TV 2.0 or Google TV Android 3.1 or whatever it is supposed to be called service is well received.